Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Boost Guage Question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Mopey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Guage Question???

Which is the best method for installing a boost guage? Using the AIH plug or teeing into the map sensor? Not sure which way is the easiest or best? Has anyone done the AIH delete plug, does this offer any performance benefit?

Old 01-03-2006, 03:55 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd use the AIH plug for boost. If you ever decide to run a regulator or blow off valve on the MAP sensor line, you won't be seeing the true boost, depending on where you hooked the tee up to. Both are going to be pretty easy.

I have done the AIH delete. It offers better intake flow. The AIH doesn't even run unless the truck is sitting and idling, while it is cold outside. It's been down into the teens several times since I removed the AIH and have experienced no running problems. It's estimated that the AIH blocks up to 30% of the airflow. You'll see when you take it out, that it's pretty big.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:01 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jtharvey
I'd use the AIH plug for boost. If you ever decide to run a regulator or blow off valve on the MAP sensor line, you won't be seeing the true boost, depending on where you hooked the tee up to. Both are going to be pretty easy.

I have done the AIH delete. It offers better intake flow. The AIH doesn't even run unless the truck is sitting and idling, while it is cold outside. It's been down into the teens several times since I removed the AIH and have experienced no running problems. It's estimated that the AIH blocks up to 30% of the airflow. You'll see when you take it out, that it's pretty big.
i agree with Mr. Harvey...AIH is the way.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:03 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
uhh AIH delete. I missed that one. Im running both a teed boost guage and one that came with the banks six gun. All I can get max is 22, any suggestions?

Old 01-03-2006, 05:17 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kennedyford
uhh AIH delete. I missed that one. Im running both a teed boost guage and one that came with the banks six gun. All I can get max is 22, any suggestions?
U running two boost gauges?

Old 01-03-2006, 06:20 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
...........If you ever decide to run a regulator or blow off valve on the MAP sensor line, you won't be seeing the true boost, depending on where you hooked the tee up to...........
I think the AIH is a good choice unless you live in extreamly cold country.

I would have to disagree and say that the MAP line would be OK with a regulator because the boost will continue to rise infront of the regulator with at true reading no matter what the boost pressure. The regulator will simply not allow additional pressure over the set value to be seen by the MAP sensor. Now, if you were to use a relief valve, then you would get some incorrect boost readings as the relief valve opened along with loosing some of your boost pressure through the relief valve.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:22 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I am too (running both the 6-gun and an analog boost guage). Here's why I do it: The 6-Gun gets it's reading for boost from the MAP sensor. Well, when you have a regulator or relief valve in your boost line to the MAP sensor, the most boost you ever see is the regulated pressure. So, I don't see more than say, 20lbs through the 6-gun. But, the guage that is hooked up to the AIH location (Autometer Boost Guage) see's the actual boost that is going into the intake. This helps me in a couple of ways. 1) It allows me to adjust the regulator on the boost line to the MAP sensor right to the point that the SES light is about to come on, but doesn't, thus the most fuel possible. 2) It may alert me to any potential problems that I might have. Like a MAP sensor going bad (6-gun would tell me) or a boost leak somewhere that shows up as a decrease on the analog guage, but the 6-gun may never see it.

I didn't plan for it to be this way. I had the 6-gun first. Then found this forum. I started doing more mods to the point I was kicking my SES light on from overboost. So, I regulated the line. Then I realized I now have no idea how much boost I'm actually running. So, the analog guage was ordered.

Last edited by jtharvey; 01-03-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:37 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by guzzle92
I think the AIH is a good choice unless you live in extreamly cold country.

I would have to disagree and say that the MAP line would be OK with a regulator because the boost will continue to rise infront of the regulator with at true reading no matter what the boost pressure. The regulator will simply not allow additional pressure over the set value to be seen by the MAP sensor. Now, if you were to use a relief valve, then you would get some incorrect boost readings as the relief valve opened along with loosing some of your boost pressure through the relief valve.
guzzle, you are actually agreeing with me. My original post:
f you ever decide to run a regulator or blow off valve on the MAP sensor line, you won't be seeing the true boost, depending on where you hooked the tee up to .
I just wasn't getting as technical as you. I figured, less chance of confusion with the AIH.

So, now that we have that non-argument settled....

Old 01-03-2006, 06:43 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
guzzle, you are actually agreeing with me. My original post:
I just wasn't getting as technical as you. I figured, less chance of confusion with the AIH.

So, now that we have that non-argument settled....
Uh, no...yes...Uh...maybe.... You're just trying to confuse me EH????

Old 01-03-2006, 07:34 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by guzzle92
Uh, no...yes...Uh...maybe.... You're just trying to confuse me EH????
No, not trying to confuse you. Just saying, that I agree with you, I just didn't clarify that in my original post. You and I are on the same page, in that if you are running a regulator and not a blow off valve, depending on where the Tee for the boost guage is mounted, you will see the correct pressure. If the Tee is mounted before the regulator, you will see the correct pressure. If the tee is mounted between the regulator and the MAP sensor, you will see the incorrect pressure. And, if you are using a blow off valve, anywhere you mount the tee on the boost line will give the incorrect pressure.

I run mine through the AIH plug though. I feel that it's the best place, given you don't live in a cold climate where you might need the AIH.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:08 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
PSNUT
Yeah the physical it teed into the map sensor line and the banks info comes from the map sensor, but they always read the same. I cant seem to get my boost as high as these guys talk about. 22 with or without a trailer and 10 slight grade easy cruise with a trailer. Why are others gett up to 30s plus?

Old 01-07-2006, 10:12 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kennedyford
PSNUT
Yeah the physical it teed into the map sensor line and the banks info comes from the map sensor, but they always read the same. I cant seem to get my boost as high as these guys talk about. 22 with or without a trailer and 10 slight grade easy cruise with a trailer. Why are others gett up to 30s plus?
Kennedyford, Can u tell us what mods u have? Fill out the signature info in "profile"...this will help everyone trying to help. i'm guessing u don't have a MAP sensor relief valve.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:16 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have my boost reading from the T in the map line, just after the elbow from the horn and right before the DRV++. i have yet to take pics of it. there is about an inch of hose between the elbow and the boost- T, another inch between the T and the DRV.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:06 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
i set up using the AIH delete plug... super easy way to hook up your boost gauge line... i have let my truck idle for extended periods of time with no problems... i have heard that the international trucks with this motor do not have the AIH... supposedly ford put this on to try to help make the EPA regulations... since i am one of those people who believe the epa is a joke and should be disbanded and all of it's employees should become homeless just to make up for the misery they have caused, i obviously don't give a fat rat's *** when it comes to what they have to say about how my truck should run... if it was up to those A holes we would all be peddling around on tricycles with seatbeats, airbags, rollcages and governors..! they are a bunch of pansies and they can shove it as far as i'm concerned, my truck runs just fine WITHOUT the AIH...! sorry for the long post, but anyone who thinks our mules NEED the AIH has been fooled...

Old 01-07-2006, 11:17 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I'm in total agreeement with you johnny. My AIH is gone. It's been down into the teens and single digits, and no running problems. The EPA is the reason for things like the AIH, CCV going into the intake, catylitic converters, less fuel going into the engine, etc..

Heck, I had to have my Ducati (motorcycle) re-mapped to run richer because it was running poorly from the factory due to a lean condition. I asked the tech why it was so lean from the factory and he said, "It had to be that lean to pass EPA regulations."

The EPA sure does give us a lot of work to do if we want to unlock the true potential of our engines. Sorry I'm off topic. I just got all worked up and couldn't stop.

Quick Reply: Boost Guage Question???