1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Condensation???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 09:15 PM
louisiana bandit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condensation???

On my new 2005 E-150 cargo van it seems to have a problem with condensation under the floor mat. It is a 2 piece rubber mat that covers the whole bed of the van. Under the mat there is a grey padding. The moisture seems to only effect the passenger area of the mat, which is one of the pieces. When I first discovered the problem, the padding was holding quite a bit of moisture. I pulled up the matting to try to dry it out. And it was pretty dry this morning, but there was quite a bit of rain today, and the condensation has returned to the metal floor of the passenger area. I also have condensation on the roof of the cargo area. I checked to see if rainwater could be leaking in but can't find any evidence of that. The van was not used today, so the heater or A/C system was not turned on.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Heavy460
Senior User
I know this is a lot of years away.When i first bought my van (88 E250)about a year or so ago i went to use the high beams, and my foot went threw the floor board.Find a way to protect that.I ended up ripping it out and replaceing it with a piece of dimond plate.I ended up pulling out all the carpet in my 88 F250.It was so wet.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be caused by a clogged condensate drain for your air conditioner. If it is clogged, the condensation will accumulate in the heater box and spill out through the floor vent on the passenger's side.

When you use the defroster the AC compressor runs just as it does in the summer when you are running the AC. Try running the AC on Max and look at the black plastic heater box above the passenger's foot well area to see if condensation begins to form on the outside of the box. It will usually do that if the drain is clogged. Also check under the van below the passenger's foot well while the AC is running to see if the condensate is running out of the drain freely. If condensation is forming on the box or not draining out on the ground then you have a clogged drain. Look for it under the van in the passengers foot well area and clean it out with a pipe cleaner to restore the flow.

I believe there is also a drain in the air intake box below the windshield that is covered by the black plastic grill. A clog there could divert rain water in through the vent system.

Gene

Old 01-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Pony Power
Senior User
It's possible it's heater related but I'll bet it's the windshield leaking.
I had the same thing like that on my Exploder, only mine was on the driver's side. Pull off the sun visor mount and look in the hole for signs of water. It will come in the top and run down the pillar and behind the lower kick panel and flood that way. check behind that kick panel, if you see any water at all back there it's coming from the top.
We had to pull off the upper plastic trim, pull back the headliner and re caulk the windshield molding from the inside to stop it.
If you don't get that pad dried out it will start to mildew and stink in no time. I lifted mine at the threshold and stuck a couple of 2x4's under it to hold it up and used a fan to get it dried out.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Pony Power,

Was that the original windsheild or a replacement that was leaking?

Gene

Old 01-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Pony Power
Senior User
Original, but it was 5 years old when it happened at 64,000 miles.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Dannym
More Turbo
I have major problems with the AC condensate leaking out of the evaporator onto the passenger side. But the condensate drain is COMPLETELY unblocked. I can't figure this out, the water still creeps uphill enough to leak out. Unfortunately that gasket is discontinued and no longer available. I tried making my own with some limited success. The the water was actually leaking out of the TOP of the housing and even sprinking the computer! The water apparently got into the squirrel cage blower itself and got flung up to the top.

I'm aware how absurd this is and how I must in fact have a clogged condensate drain. Such is not the case. It's wide open. I wonder if it's due to not having the rock/air deflector on the bottom anymore, maybe at highway speeds the air is blowing upwards through the drain?

Old 01-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Danny,

I'm not sure what rock deflector you are refering to. What year is your van? The condensate drain for the front should be under the van just ahead of the passenger's footwell. It is hard to see on my '94.

They tend to grow algea in them that will tend to clog them up. I have had cars that would do this every couple of months but the van has only done it once in 12 years.

I've seen a foam cleaner that you spray up through the drain that will expand and fill the box, cleaning and disinfecting it. I don't know the name of it, maybe someone else does.

Gene