Fuel Injected mustang motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:28 AM
oldmansimek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Injected mustang motor swap

I have an 85' F-150 4x4 it has a 302 in it right now carburated. I have a 302 H.O. roller fuel injected mustang motor. I want to put this motor into my truck my question is were and how expensive is a wire harness and computer to do this. The mustang motor I built also does not have any emissions controls. Any advice would help.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:12 PM
mudgepondexpress
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did this swap years ago, 1981 F150 302/AOD to a 1986 SEFI (1990 mass air computer) 5.0 HO. It was the best thing I ever did for this pickup, better mileage, better power, seamless operation.

I was lucky and bought a whole running car for $250, that is the amount you will spend on the harness alone. The computer, if you run the better ones, will run around 100 to 125 on ebay and the flow sensor etc will run you another $40 or so used. Once you figure out where to mount everything, the wiring is pretty staight forward (notice, I didn't say simple). I used factory connectors and plugged right into the original ignition connector.

You will also need an electric fuel pump, return lines, filter, and a bunch of little parts. Since I bought the complete car with a good engine (wrecked), I spend about $300 to get it working. I used the mustang pump and everything else I could off the car, the $ spent were for fuel lines, filter, connectors, air filter setup (BBK).

Kenny

Old 12-30-2005, 08:43 PM
o2outlaw93
New User
For a wiring harness, painless wiring has all that stuff if you want to pay lots of $$, or you could go to the junkyard and find computer and all sensors in a thunderbird or certain mercury's that had a 5.0HO. Good luck with the swap

Old 12-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Neb86
Senior User
This might be a good starting point:

http://bjoern.brembs.net/cars/maf_conversion/

It's not exactly the same thing you are up against but, there is some useful information and links you may find helpful.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 01-01-2006, 09:59 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Thread moved to " Engine Swaps" tech forum.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:23 AM
oldmansimek
Senior User
don't want emmissions controls

I was wondering if when any of you did the swap if you kept all the emmission controls or not. I would really like to not have them at all or as little as possible. I am guessing that it is possible because they sell non emmissions fuel injected manifolds and such any other advice would help i have a 90 donor mustang but I dont want to start snipping off emmissions stuff out of the harness before I know it will work

Old 01-06-2006, 10:42 AM
mudgepondexpress
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted a response once, but it didn't stick, here we go again:

Yes when I swapped, I put in all the emission items except converters! It really was no issue. The hardest part of the whole swap was cleaning all the excess wires from the Mustang harness and getting it to lay correctly in the pickup. The took me about 1 week of evenings (10 hours or so). Once I figured the layout, the rest just fell into place.

I would suggest getting the book:

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control : All Ford/Lincoln-Mercury Cars and Light Trucks 1988 to 1993 (Paperback)
by Charles O. Probst

It has great data and nice wiring diagrams in the back. I wish I had it before I did my swap! It gives details on what each sensor and actuator do so you can be informed when doing the swap or modifications (troubleshooting).

Kenny

Old 01-11-2006, 09:36 AM
oldmansimek
Senior User
Thank's guys

Old 01-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
you will want to perform a cam swap as well and go here www.fordfuelinjection.com for wiring harness. hes cheaper and great guy with loads of info.