4x4 Conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 03:28 PM
VIVIZ3KTR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Conversion!

Hi folks,

This is my first post here, seeing as today my father was given an 1995 F250 5-speed Turbo Diesel to work out of. The only problem is that it's 2-wheel drive.

Now I honestly tried the search feature and sifted through threads for about 20 minutes before posting so be nice! The question of the day is would it be feasible to convert it to a 4x4? Now I work on a lot of cars, but I really don't know much about Fords in general (other than this truck can go 0-60 faster than my accord!!!)

It looks like there's room to chop the driveshaft, put in a transfer case, and run an offset axel to a solid axle on the front end. Just my thoughts....

Thanks

Old 12-28-2005, 03:54 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
It's more complicated on an F-250, but not undoable. You'll need a new transmission, (or swap the tailshaft off a 4x4 ZF tranny), a transfer case, a front driveshaft, front drive axle (get a Dana 50 if you have the choice), and leaf springs and assorted spring hangers/shackles.

There's an article in the tech articles section here on FTE that goes into what you have to do for an F-150. Just keep in mind that you'll be going from coils to leafs in the front and you should have an idea of what it takes.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:42 PM
thesprocket26
Posting Guru
If you have lots of money time space knowledge tools brains then yes it is poosible.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:59 PM
The SnoMan
Elder User
It would be pretty easy with a donor truck (ecept for labor) but be advise that you need to find a truck with at least a D50 in fron or better yet a dana 60 because of the weight of the diesel engine. A D44 would be overloaded.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:11 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would just sell or trade in for a 4x4 if I'd really need it... a lot less labor. Now, if you need the learning experience, then it's a whole different ballgame.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:41 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by VIVIZ3KTR
Hi folks,

This is my first post here, seeing as today my father was given an 1995 F250 5-speed Turbo Diesel to work out of. The only problem is that it's 2-wheel drive.

Now I honestly tried the search feature and sifted through threads for about 20 minutes before posting so be nice! The question of the day is would it be feasible to convert it to a 4x4? Now I work on a lot of cars, but I really don't know much about Fords in general (other than this truck can go 0-60 faster than my accord!!!)

It looks like there's room to chop the driveshaft, put in a transfer case, and run an offset axel to a solid axle on the front end. Just my thoughts....

Thanks
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:17 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> would it be feasible to convert it to a 4x4

Feasible, yes, it is possible. Cost effective, no, not unless that 1995 has less then 150,000 miles on it. Otherwise you would be ahead money by just buying one 4x4 on E-Bay and selling that one 2x4.

IF I was going to spend all that time and money converting it I would not bother with anything less then an older Dana 60 for the front. That engine puts out at least 400 pounds of torque, weighes a lot more then even the 460 (1200-1400 pounds?), and with large tires it will make short work of lighter duty axles.

> but I really don't know much about Fords in general

The trucks have the front axle diff. on the driver's side so a lot of mail order sources (ex. Boyce) will not have an axle for your truck. Plus, the axle itself will probably sell for at least $1000, then you have to regear it, etc.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:32 AM
The SnoMan
Elder User
Originally Posted by rebocardo
> would it be feasible to convert it to a 4x4

Feasible, yes, it is possible. Cost effective, no, not unless that 1995 has less then 150,000 miles on it. Otherwise you would be ahead money by just buying one 4x4 on E-Bay and selling that one 2x4.

IF I was going to spend all that time and money converting it I would not bother with anything less then an older Dana 60 for the front. That engine puts out at least 400 pounds of torque, weighes a lot more then even the 460 (1200-1400 pounds?), and with large tires it will make short work of lighter duty axles.

> but I really don't know much about Fords in general

The trucks have the front axle diff. on the driver's side so a lot of mail order sources (ex. Boyce) will not have an axle for your truck. Plus, the axle itself will probably sell for at least $1000, then you have to regear it, etc.
It is not the torque that is a problem with a D44 up front, it is the extra dead weight on the axle. A D50 is a heavier housing and knuckles with stock D44 gears and slightly bigger axle shafts too.