2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

daughter's new truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 10:41 AM
73mach1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
Since when does it take 7 qts? The manual only says six. I've never had to put more than 6 in either.

Own a diesel for a few years and then talk to me about the price of 6 qts vs 7 qts.
page 272 04 owners guide 7qts 5.4 3v

Old 12-30-2005, 12:00 PM
cr0wnn7
Freshman User
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 73mach1
Well as I only have a SLOW.6 but either way I have had many trucks in my family. My dad's old 5.7L 350 in his 88 silverado, 95 5.7L 350 suburban, 98 5.7L Vortec 350, and my 5.2L 318 in my Dakota and none of them needed that much oil and they are all bigger and what I feel is more powerful. I think Ford just wanted some more money, and what better way than to sneak an extra 2 quarts of oil in on every sucker that takes their truck into the dealership. Good ploy since they have sold more trucks than anyone else they should be able to make some good money even though its only 5 bucks extra per oil change. I guarantee this, I won't go back to the dealership until something else goes wrong. It is inevitable since its a Fix Or Repair Daily or Found On Road Dead. There is a good reason why these sayings were made up, they make sense!!!

Old 12-30-2005, 12:13 PM
njf207
Senior User
Here is my idea for all of you that don't like to drive your fords. Don't buy them, Don't drive them. And stop bitching about it. Sorry thats how I feel.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:17 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 73mach1
How about that! I had to run out to the truck as I thought you guys were BSing me, every pre 04 5.4L I've been around took six qts.

As far as getting worked up over the 7 qts issue, really not any merit to saying that Ford has it out for us.

In fact we should be happy that they did, as it increases the amount of miles we can go berfore changing the oil due to the larger sump cap. The days of the 3K oil change are long gone, and just a waste of money. Check out the oil and lube forum, or bitog.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:34 PM
73mach1
Senior User
our 98 expedition held 6qts. and its first on race day.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Turbodog1000
Junior User
7 Quarts is a better thing, oil is lube, but its other big job is to cool the engine. So more oil is better, the oil won't be heat stressed as fast as 5 qts.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Purdue Offroader
Senior User
yea 7 quarts will cool the engine much better, be happy w/ it, why do you think milodon makes tons of money selling bigger oil pans for performance motors. On the other note I hate HATE HATE new cars. Stupid *** sensors and ****. No matter what brand you go w/ you'll hate it. Too many different engineers trying to make stuff work w/ other engineers stuff just doesn't work. Sure you can get 20 mpg in a big truck these days, but if you have to spend 500 every other month to get the truck running and then 200 to rent a car is it really worth it? I love my 79 and will never trade it for anything. I have a 99 Jeep but its getting a carbed 360 as soon as I can afford it.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:15 PM
transam396
Senior User
Originally Posted by cr0wnn7
Well as I only have a SLOW.6 but either way I have had many trucks in my family. My dad's old 5.7L 350 in his 88 silverado, 95 5.7L 350 suburban, 98 5.7L Vortec 350, and my 5.2L 318 in my Dakota and none of them needed that much oil and they are all bigger and what I feel is more powerful. I think Ford just wanted some more money, and what better way than to sneak an extra 2 quarts of oil in on every sucker that takes their truck into the dealership. Good ploy since they have sold more trucks than anyone else they should be able to make some good money even though its only 5 bucks extra per oil change. I guarantee this, I won't go back to the dealership until something else goes wrong. It is inevitable since its a Fix Or Repair Daily or Found On Road Dead. There is a good reason why these sayings were made up, they make sense!!!
well since apparently you hate your truck that much with the Slow.6 as you called it . I feel shameful at bringing up the fact that you BOUGHT the truck with the Slow.6 didn't you test drive it ? didn't you do any research on it?????just ask around on here and most everyone will agree that the 5.4 is the way to go . but maybe i'm the only idiot that took the time to do research before I bought my truck and to talk to ppl who already had one and to test drive both motor options if you hate the damn thing as much as you say the get rid of it get back in your dodge or go buy a chevy maybe the goverment will be there to save there *** the same way yhey did with dodge when they almost went under !!!!!! as far as dodge goes make sure you buy stock in what ever gas company you prefer to use because they haven't made a dodge yet that gets any mileage! my 04 F150 larait screw with the 5.4 averages 16.5- 17.5 city and i've had it up to 20 mpg on the highway

Old 01-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Vizsla_Buddy
Senior User
This thread has gone crazy. Cowgirlmom ... did you get an answer in this mess somewhere?

My 5.4 is smooth as silk with no tapping. If yours is not that way, raise hell until they get it right. I believe it is a very good engine and hope it has a long life.

I apologize for some of the stupidity presented in response to your question. I believe your daughter is lucky to have a machine like this. I hope she enjoys it.

Good luck to you

Old 01-03-2006, 03:02 AM
blie
Junior User
My 2006 5.4 has ticked from the beginning. I asked the dealer he said they do that. Also It has been hard to start sometimes, always when it is warm. The truck only has 2000 K.M. on it. Maybe it does this cause it is still breaking in. anyone have answers??

Old 01-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Vizsla_Buddy
Senior User
none of those issues here Blie. It is quiet and fires right away all the time. Take it in and tell them to fix it.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:13 AM
cr0wnn7
Freshman User
Wink

Originally Posted by transam396
well since apparently you hate your truck that much with the Slow.6 as you called it . I feel shameful at bringing up the fact that you BOUGHT the truck with the Slow.6 didn't you test drive it ? didn't you do any research on it?????just ask around on here and most everyone will agree that the 5.4 is the way to go . but maybe i'm the only idiot that took the time to do research before I bought my truck and to talk to ppl who already had one and to test drive both motor options if you hate the damn thing as much as you say the get rid of it get back in your dodge or go buy a chevy maybe the goverment will be there to save there *** the same way yhey did with dodge when they almost went under !!!!!! as far as dodge goes make sure you buy stock in what ever gas company you prefer to use because they haven't made a dodge yet that gets any mileage! my 04 F150 larait screw with the 5.4 averages 16.5- 17.5 city and i've had it up to 20 mpg on the highway
Well you should be shameful because talking out of the side of your neck can make you look dumb. I did do my research and the difference in horsepower wasn't that big and they both seemed slow to respond either way. I also wanted the TEXAS edition which is what I bought but that edition doesn't come with a 5.4, so that wasn't an option. I liked the price and the running boards and things of that nature. Plus either engine I got I was going to MOD as soon as they came available. 8 days after I bought it I put the 40 series flowmaster on it SIDO to 3 1/2. The next step was going to be CAI and then a programmer. After those were done we were going to put gears on it and upgrade the axlwe with some sort of posi traction or limited slip. Then we move on to heads and cam, and finish her off with a super charger. So I figured it would take about a year to 2 years and there wouldn't be a truck here in town out running me whether I got the 4.6 or the 5.4. Don't get me wrong, I was elated with my truck when I got it. But since I've gotten crappy customer service from the dealership and this truck has had to be repaired twice in 8 months, 1 of which was the alternator and you can agree that 7600 miles is too soon to have to replace that, I'm very dissapointed. As far as gas mileage, I could care less, if gas was my worry I would have bought a Honda. There is more to owning a truck than swinging the payments. The only thing I worry about as far as gas is, where is the next gas station when the tank only has a quarter left in it. I fill 'er up and keep driving. So if Dodge has crappy gas mileage it wouldn't be anything new cuz my ford hsan't gotten better than 14 in the city and 17 highway. But if you didn't figure this one out, I don't drive miss daisy so I can boast about getting good gas mileage in my truck. So good for you and keep your foot off the pedal while I go blowin by you. If Ford can get their ducks in a row and act right when I bring my truck in I might keep this pile, cuz it will be cheaper to MOD and if I break something I won't be too upset.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
cr0wnn7,

You’re a PUTZ!!! If all you have to wine about is two extra quarts of oil, I hope you do go back to mopar. If you’re such the engine genius you think you are than you should appreciate the extra cooling and lubrication the extra oil provides.

Why would a motor guru like you take your truck to the dealer to have the oil changed any way. And if you would have read your owners manual you would have known that, then you wouldn’t have to scream and yell about how your dealer and ford is ripping you off.
<O:p</O:p

I must say it again you’re a PUTZ !!!!!!

Old 01-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Vizsla_Buddy
Senior User
LMFAO Gun-Driver. Well said!!!!! Well Said. He got my goat in another thread and I was about as explicit as you.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:25 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like this guy is getting spanked in multiple threads.....

He also got spanked in the 2004 to 2006 forum by Vizsla_Buddy. It's under the thread "looking to trade".

Cr0wnn7 should consider toning down his posts....

It's one thing for people to think you don't know what your talking about....

It's another thing to provide them with proof...

Quick Reply: daughter's new truck