stright 6 223 rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 07:46 PM
drof46
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stright 6 223 rebuild question

I bought a parts truck and it has the same engine set up as my truck. The guy had it rebuilt and then had a major accident and was unable to drive it again. It has been sitting for about 15 years. Would this engine need to be completely rebuilt again, or could I just get away with replacing the seals if everything looks good when I get it opened up? Also if I did a total rebuilt, how much power can you get out of one of these little guys? Also while I'm here, does anyone know of a automatic that would bolt up to this engine? I have a three speed manual right now.

Old 12-25-2005, 11:59 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Hello- Welcome to FTE! I have moved your post to the specialized forum we have here for your question. Check out the list of tech forums we have here. There is a wealth of information and expertise here to help you. There are a number of links in my sig below to help you also. Have fun!

Old 12-26-2005, 02:58 AM
minishtr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might get away with replacing the seals but,it's been sitting for 15 years.Lots of stuff could have gone bad sitting that long.There's not alot of performance parts out there for our 223's.I have heard that a modified fmx tranny will work.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:32 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Before you Do Anything, see if you are able to Turn It Over By Hand.
Cheque if the Oil in the Pan is Discoloured, i.e. water crept in some how.
Take the pan off & do a visual cheque for Rust, pop the Valve Cover & Cheque the Rocker, etc. for same.
Always replace the Water Pump, Petrol Pump, Oil Pump, etc., especially after setting & not having been run on a regular basis.

The 223c.i.ers are Not that Little, especially when you compare them to the 144/170/200/250 Small Block Inliners & they are right up there w/ & in my P.o.V Better than, the C*#@y, C*%#@&^r & D*#%@e Inliners from the '50s & '60s.
You can just about double the stock out-put on FPT & HP, if you do a Real Build on the 223c.i.er or a Minimum of a 25% increase w/ just the typical Carb., Intake & Header mods w/ a minimal P&P on the Head or do a Stock build but B&B & P&P it, then mate it w/ a McCllough/Paxton Supercharger, 50% increase right off the Wickett.
After Market Performance parts, Offenhauser, Fenton, Edelbrock for Intakes, Single, Duce-paks, Tri-Paks, 2v & 4v carb set-ups.
Most of the Major Header Co.'s still have a Limited stock of them for the 223c.i.er. (i've a spare header if you interested)
Crane will do you Cam & Crank for you.
Ford/Merc/Cruise-O-Matic, you just have to find a Air or Liquid Cooled Automatic Trans Bellhousing for it & the C-4 was mated to the 223c.i.er in '64, so if you could find that particular Bellhousing that allows you to mate the 223c.i.er to a C-4, you would be in the Chips.