Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Exhaust System drone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 08:50 AM
johnny8
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by convincor
You'll find alot of Banks bashing here. Seem like it to me anyway.
They say over priced and over rated. Whatever, opinions are like a__holes. everyones got one.
Sure you can get a $400 aluminized system that might last 3-4 years in NewEngland. But isn't you truck worthy of a $600 all stainless with a lifetime warranty???
i don't know if i would call the comments on here "banks bashing".... i will agree that lots of guys on here are not impressed with banks, but it is seldom because of the quality or performance of their products... rather it most often has to do with the fact that you can achieve equal performance upgrades for alot less money if you use other products.... the list of mods i have done to my mule cost me around $1200 and the performance gains are very similar to what i was expecting from the banks kit i was looking at... that kit was more than double what i spent on the stuff i have... my mule runs great, and with the money i saved i upgraded the shifting and cooling of the tranny in ways that the banks kit did not, i have code reading and clearing abilities that the banks kit didn't offer, and the egt readings are pre-turbo instead of post.... and i still spent less than half the money... i don't mind spending good money to get quality products, but i don't make enough money to just give it to mr. banks.... and if i really want a banks sticker on my truck i'll just buy one... much cheaper that way than getting one with the kit...

Old 12-25-2005, 12:18 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by johnny8
i don't know if i would call the comments on here "banks bashing".... i will agree that lots of guys on here are not impressed with banks, but it is seldom because of the quality or performance of their products... rather it most often has to do with the fact that you can achieve equal performance upgrades for alot less money if you use other products.... the list of mods i have done to my mule cost me around $1200 and the performance gains are very similar to what i was expecting from the banks kit i was looking at... that kit was more than double what i spent on the stuff i have... my mule runs great, and with the money i saved i upgraded the shifting and cooling of the tranny in ways that the banks kit did not, i have code reading and clearing abilities that the banks kit didn't offer, and the egt readings are pre-turbo instead of post.... and i still spent less than half the money... i don't mind spending good money to get quality products, but i don't make enough money to just give it to mr. banks.... and if i really want a banks sticker on my truck i'll just buy one... much cheaper that way than getting one with the kit...
Cool johnny...so what is your experience with exhaust drone with your BTM?

Old 12-25-2005, 01:22 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
i went out on a drive tonight, to listen for drone. i get a loud drone at 2250 rpm. this is basically where the engine stays when under mild-heavy acceleration. i cant wait to get a chip with TC lockup!
Do u tow heavy?...man that's when it gets really bad. Hope your chip helps out...mine did.

Old 12-25-2005, 02:20 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
no i dont tow with my personal truck. we have 4 other superduties in the fleet that can tow.

Old 12-25-2005, 07:36 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PSNut
Cool johnny...so what is your experience with exhaust drone with your BTM?
there is a little bit of a drone... usually under light acceleration, up a small hill maybe and not going to fast.... 1600 - 1800 or so... not much really... get her up on the highway at 70 or better and you don't even hear it... quieter than the v10 F350 we have at work... the small amount of "drone" that i have doesn't bother me at all... just part of owning a truck that can actually work..!

Old 12-26-2005, 12:50 AM
mtgrzlyman
Elder User
so is banks the only exhaust that doesnt have the drone.

Old 12-26-2005, 05:57 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mtgrzlyman
so is banks the only exhaust that doesnt have the drone.
Any 4" or 5" exhaust with an Aeroturbine muffler/resonator apparently does the trick. Maybe a different turbo too. Haven't heard from anyone with an aftermarket turbo.

Old 12-26-2005, 08:34 AM
cangim
Postmaster
I think the drone comes from a number of things like length, number of bends, where it exits on the truck. I have a dead cat and BTM and I have never noticed any drone, in fact unless I role the window down, I can't hear the exhaust, can really hear the turbo though, and I like that sound.

Old 12-26-2005, 08:54 AM
4X4 IN REFUGIO
Elder User
You'll find alot of Banks bashing here. Seem like it to me anyway.
They say over priced and over rated. Whatever, opinions are like a__holes. everyones got one.
Sure you can get a $400 aluminized system that might last 3-4 years in NewEngland. But isn't you truck worthy of a $600 all stainless with a lifetime warranty???
THEY ARE OVER PRICED...... THEY HAVE SOME GOOD PRODUCTS.. BUT NOT ANY BETTER THAT SOME OF OTHER'S MORE REASONABLY PRICED PRODUCTS.
MY OPINION IS.... THAT WHEN ENOUGH PEOPLE ( MOST OF THE PEOPLE ) COME TO THE SAME CONCLUSION ( THAT BANK'S PRODUCTS ARE OVERPRICED AND OVERRATED ) , THEN IT CAN NO LONGER BE CONSIDER OPINION.... BUT AT THAT TIME BECOMES PROVEN FACT

I HAVE AN A__HOLE TOO AND I'VE DONE A LOT OF RESEARCH ON THE PRODUCTS THAT ARE USED ON MY TRUCK.

I'VE COME TO THE OPINION LIKE MOST OF THE PEOPLE THAT ... IT'S A NO BRAINER... HANDS DOWN.... " BANKS IS ONE OF THE MOST OVERPRICED OR HIGHLY PRICED PERFORMANCE COMPANYS OUT THERE.

ESPECIALLY WHEN THE SAME RESULTS ARE ACHIEVED FROM NON-BANKS PRODUCTS WHICH LAST JUST AS LONG IF NOT LONGER.

JUST MY OPNION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-26-2005, 09:39 AM
convincor
Senior User
Black cloud prices vs Banks direct

MBRP t409 system. $449 + $49 shipping + $50 tip = $548 Banks $593 all included

Edge Evolution $375 Banks SixGun $381 Shipped

TS Single chip $325 Banks $361

Edge- been in business since 1999
TS- since 1997
MBRP- 1990

Banks- In business since 1958. And there stuff is designed to work as a system.
Not a bunch of mismatched stuff for a difference of $87. and actually add shipping to the chip and Evo $20.
So $67 difference

Old 12-26-2005, 10:13 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 4X4 IN REFUGIO
THEY ARE OVER PRICED...... THEY HAVE SOME GOOD PRODUCTS.. BUT NOT ANY BETTER THAT SOME OF OTHER'S MORE REASONABLY PRICED PRODUCTS.
MY OPINION IS.... THAT WHEN ENOUGH PEOPLE ( MOST OF THE PEOPLE ) COME TO THE SAME CONCLUSION ( THAT BANK'S PRODUCTS ARE OVERPRICED AND OVERRATED ) , THEN IT CAN NO LONGER BE CONSIDER OPINION.... BUT AT THAT TIME BECOMES PROVEN FACT

I HAVE AN A__HOLE TOO AND I'VE DONE A LOT OF RESEARCH ON THE PRODUCTS THAT ARE USED ON MY TRUCK.

I'VE COME TO THE OPINION LIKE MOST OF THE PEOPLE THAT ... IT'S A NO BRAINER... HANDS DOWN.... " BANKS IS ONE OF THE MOST OVERPRICED OR HIGHLY PRICED PERFORMANCE COMPANYS OUT THERE.

ESPECIALLY WHEN THE SAME RESULTS ARE ACHIEVED FROM NON-BANKS PRODUCTS WHICH LAST JUST AS LONG IF NOT LONGER.

JUST MY OPNION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So...do u get the annoying mid-range drone?

Old 12-26-2005, 10:22 AM
4X4 IN REFUGIO
Elder User
Originally Posted by PSNut
So...do u get the annoying mid-range drone?
YES I DO..... USUALLY AROUND 60-63 MPH ( RUNNING EMPTY )

IF THIS IS WHAT IT IS...... EXAUST SEEMS LOUDER AT THAT SPEED.
GOES AWAY AS SOON AS I GET UP TO ABOUT 65 MPH AND GOES AWAY COMPLETELY WHEN I'M CRUISING AT 69-70 MPH.

ANYWAY ....... I DON'T DRIVE AT THE DRONING SPEED TOO MUCH.

OOOOO KKKKKK .......NO MORE BANKS BASHING

Old 12-26-2005, 10:32 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 4X4 IN REFUGIO
YES I DO..... USUALLY AROUND 60-63 MPH ( RUNNING EMPTY )

IF THIS IS WHAT IT IS...... EXAUST SEEMS LOUDER AT THAT SPEED.
GOES AWAY AS SOON AS I GET UP TO ABOUT 65 MPH AND GOES AWAY COMPLETELY WHEN I'M CRUISING AT 69-70 MPH.

ANYWAY ....... I DON'T DRIVE AT THE DRONING SPEED TOO MUCH.

OOOOO KKKKKK .......NO MORE BANKS BASHING
With my stock pcm while towing my 9000lb TT @1750-1800 rpm's it was really
bad. Like u i had to adjust speed to get rid of it. Had to crank up AC/DC to drown it out but even those guys sound terrible with a background drone

Old 12-26-2005, 05:08 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Black cloud prices vs Banks direct

MBRP t409 system. $449 + $49 shipping + $50 tip = $548 Banks $593 all included

Edge Evolution $375 Banks SixGun $381 Shipped

TS Single chip $325 Banks $361

Edge- been in business since 1999
TS- since 1997
MBRP- 1990

Banks- In business since 1958. And there stuff is designed to work as a system.
Not a bunch of mismatched stuff for a difference of $87. and actually add shipping to the chip and Evo $20.
So $67 difference
sorry, but the banks kit that i was looking at, and got a price quote striaght from banks, was DOUBLE what i have spent on my mods and did NOT give me any more performance than the mods i have, and in fact, i have a couple of mods in my package that were NOT included in the banks kit that was so much more expensive.... i'm not trying to put down banks, they make awesome stuff... i just think they should give you more for your money than they do... jmho...