General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Take My Job.....Please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:07 AM
cpe41
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take My Job.....Please!

Anybody want to be a Service Manager? I've sure had more than my fill of it. Almost 30 years turning wrenches for a living, the last 16 of 'em at the same shop, and I've spent the last year-and-a-half in a job I didn't want, didn't ask for, and wanted nothing to do with.

We're a small (and I mean small) New Holland and Bobcat dealer (as well as Kuhn equipment, Echo, Bushog and numerous other shortlines...) and when the previous SM got fed up and quit, the job got dumped in my lap. Since I was the only one in the shop that had the experience to actually do the job the boss said, "you're it". My only other choice at that time would have been to quit and find another job, but decent jobs are virtually extinct around here.

After a number of heated outbursts and discussions, the owner of the company swore to me that he would get me out of this job and back to shop doing what I do best and enjoy the most. That was in April. Absolutely nothing has been done, no action of any kind has been taken to fulfill that promise. Doesn't really surprise me based on past history, and the fact that our general manager likes having me in this job. Maybe I should've just deliberately screwed up a bunch of times along the way and given them some incentive to find someone else, but that's not how I am.

There's much more to this, (16 years of "much more"...) but I can see that my only options are to continue being miserable in this job, find another job and quit (around here??? not likely...), or find my own replacement (not likely, either...). While the previous SM was a friend of mine, and I don't blame him a bit for leaving when he did, his leaving sure did screw up my "world". Now if someone would just start a restoration business or performance oriented shop around here I think I'd be gone in a heartbeat!

Sorry 'bout the rant folks but I just had to vent...

Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Tech 1
Senior User
I feel for you man. I was in just about the same situation as you. Luckily I was close enough to retirement that I just threw the keys on the desk and walked out. General manager at the dealership I worked at was a micro manager and a total butthead. I finally had enough. They have been through 4 service managers since I left. Good luck.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:25 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place with no easy solution in sight. I would ask him if he thinks two grown men who have worked together for a long time can talk calmly about a situation they share without getting mad and shouting. If he responds with a yes, calmly remind him of his promise to seek a replacement, tell him you respect him as a man of his word and ask if you can assist him in any way making things right. I have found that most situations require some selling to resolve and that means curbing emotions and selecting your words carefully. Good luck.
Dono

Old 12-22-2005, 12:02 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hang in there as long as you can. Service manager positions are the worst. If your boss really cares for you he will get you out when he can. The problem you have in finding other work is the same problem your boss is having finding a suitable service manager replacement. Give him some more time...

Old 12-22-2005, 12:10 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a mechanic freind took a job as a sw in a honda dealer, 3hrs later he quit

Old 12-22-2005, 12:48 PM
gdawghereiam
Senior User
s/m

it takes a person of a unique caliber to be a s/m.not evertbody can do it with ease.they make the mistake of assuming that a person thats good with the tools will b a good s/m.
i would calmly but firmly let the boss know that you are not happy in what you are doing.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:36 PM
cpe41
Senior User
Originally Posted by gdawghereiam
it takes a person of a unique caliber to be a s/m.not evertbody can do it with ease.they make the mistake of assuming that a person thats good with the tools will b a good s/m.
i would calmly but firmly let the boss know that you are not happy in what you are doing.
Believe me....he KNOWS!! And I really appreciate all your thoughts, too....

Old 12-22-2005, 01:52 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by cpe41
Now if someone would just start a restoration business or performance oriented shop around here I think I'd be gone in a heartbeat!

Sorry 'bout the rant folks but I just had to vent...
Why not start a shop yourself and kill 2 birds with 1 stone? You will definitely be happier. Just a thought.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:28 PM
cpe41
Senior User
Originally Posted by donjamer
Why not start a shop yourself and kill 2 birds with 1 stone? You will definitely be happier. Just a thought.
Oh, I know I'd be happier...till the bills came due. As much as I'd love to have my own shop, the reality is that the initial cost of setting up this type of business is extreme. My local area simply would not financially support any kind of restoration or performance business. I do have to admit, though, that lately I've begun to look at that "pipe dream" a little more.

I certainly feel I have the skills and ability to actually do the physical work, but I feel quite lacking in sound business knowledge and marketing. Both are essential to a successful business. And so is cash....of which I have none to spare.

Gee...maybe I should start taking up a collection...

Old 12-22-2005, 07:54 PM
centexKR
Junior User
Saw New Holland are you getting returns of the Lawn Tractors. I took mine back
after 2 month and said give me what you will on a trade. A buddy had one 8 months
and did the same. Mine had no power and poor cut pattern. His wouldnt run and
bad cut pattern. I Have a bad boy now. He got a bushog

Will say never gave the Service Manager a problem, just went to the salesman.
But know you probably catch it from all ends

Old 12-22-2005, 08:14 PM
jimlj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The local NH dealer would have killed to have a guy with your experiance. Good mechanics are impossible to find around here. Heck, I'd hire a mechanic for my shop if you wanted to move to Wyoming.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:55 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by cpe41
Oh, I know I'd be happier...till the bills came due. As much as I'd love to have my own shop, the reality is that the initial cost of setting up this type of business is extreme. My local area simply would not financially support any kind of restoration or performance business. I do have to admit, though, that lately I've begun to look at that "pipe dream" a little more.

I certainly feel I have the skills and ability to actually do the physical work, but I feel quite lacking in sound business knowledge and marketing. Both are essential to a successful business. And so is cash....of which I have none to spare.

Gee...maybe I should start taking up a collection...
It could still be a possibility, because after 30 years you must have most of the tools you need. That will save some money. Also you don't have to start a full scale operation. You could start by doing light duty work. Then as the money starts rolling in you invest in better equipment and helpers.

I would check out the local Chamber of Commerce, SBA or SCORE association. They can at least help you evaluate the possibilities before jumping in. Mostly they offer free advise. So if you think it is something you want to try, then I say go for it. It doesn't hurt to explore your options.

Old 12-26-2005, 04:28 PM
cpe41
Senior User
Originally Posted by centexKR
Saw New Holland are you getting returns of the Lawn Tractors. I took mine back
after 2 month and said give me what you will on a trade. A buddy had one 8 months
and did the same. Mine had no power and poor cut pattern. His wouldnt run and
bad cut pattern. I Have a bad boy now. He got a bushog

Will say never gave the Service Manager a problem, just went to the salesman.
But know you probably catch it from all ends
I'm assuming you're talking about the LS-series lawn tractors. We really haven't had any problems other than front spindles seizing up due to lack of owner maintenance...and haven't had a problem with that for a few years now. Granted, being such a small dealership we don't sell that many lawn tractors, and most of our business is virtually everything but small mowers. BTW...the LS series mowers are made by Toro for New Holland.

I am going to look into the possibilities of starting a business, but just evaluating the costs of starting up doesn't make it appear too promising. I'll need a building suitable for the usage, insurance on property/equipment and liability, some larger shop equipment would have to be purchased, then there's the utilities (gas, water, electric), not to mention the cost of my own health insurance which is currently provided by my employer. I also have to consider what is necessary to comply with OSHA regulations and/or state laws. There's obviously many, many other things to be considered as well, such as the fact that I have a wife to think about. I'm not alone in this and whatever I decide to do will affect her as well.

Then there's the "customer base" to think about. If I were to start out dealing primarily with the older Ford tractors (which I love to work on and pretty well know inside and out..) I could probably draw some customers from the New Holland store, but not sure I even want some of them...lol Those tractors are easy to deal with, parts are very obtainable and there's alot of people across the country using and collecting them.

Further investigation is required.... Thanks to all for your input!!

Old 12-26-2005, 07:49 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don't have any business education - it would be quite the difficult task.

I am a business student and can honestly say that those who've never been educated in business are at a severe disadvantage. Running a successful business is not easy and is a stressful/time consuming job. It takes the right kind of person to be a business owner, not to mention a SM.

I'm 21 and I'll be graduating in a year and 1/2 - then probably going to an automotive tech school like Wyotech. I'd like to become an entrepenurer later on in life - something to do with automechanics. Hard to say exactly since I won't be doing this for a long time and markets change too much. I'll be trying to do management or specialty automotive work until that time comes for me to go out on my own. I love cars/trucks but didn't want to be just a regular mechanic - management is something I like (compaired to what else is out there) so it seems like the right fit for me. I have a nack for business, or altleast somewhat of a nack

What are the reasons you're so displeased with your position? Is there anything you can do to improve that?

Last edited by MustangGT221; 12-26-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:02 PM
centexKR
Junior User
I'm assuming you're talking about the LS-series lawn tractors. We really haven't had any problems other than front spindles seizing up due to lack of owner maintenance...and haven't had a problem with that for a few years now. Granted, being such a small dealership we don't sell that many lawn tractors, and most of our business is virtually everything but small mowers. BTW...the LS series mowers are made by Toro for New Holland

The one I had was a MY 17 Kawasaki (sp) engine

Quick Reply: Take My Job.....Please!