1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Another question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:35 AM
crewzmaster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Another question

this question will probably get the same responses as one i asked previously, but here goes. this is a genuine want to know question, not a wise backside dig at anyone. what is the advantage in changing the front i-beams out for a subframe from a car, no matter the make? i know everyone builds to suit there taste, but is this an upgrade? i could see if you were installing something exotic, but i don't think there is anything better than the twin i-beam suspension in our trucks. they can be lowered, raised or left stock height with no trouble.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:38 AM
4Cammer72
Elder User
there's a guy about 5 miles from me with a crew and he used a mercury marquis front clip and rear end on his and it is slammed just from that but it looks good. been trying to get over there for some pics but havent made it yet. he had to tub the front fenderwells to get it to work but it does work.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:46 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A lot of people do these things as a technical challenge- just to see if they can be done. I prefer to keep my trucks as real trucks, sturdy enough for any task, and yes, hard riding and crude handling. My '70 had 250K on it when I rebuilt the front end. All the rubber bushings had disintegrated and fallen out, and yet it still went down the road everyday. Try that with a 'car' suspension! If I want a car, I'll buy one. I do admire clever engineering and clean workmanship, though, if that's your thing.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:08 PM
4Cammer72
Elder User
i know ive done some "different" stuff with my truck and many probably think the jag rear end is taking away from the trucks ability, BUT, the jag rear came from a 5500 lb car (heavier than our trucks) with two rear mounted gas tanks and uses 4 coil over shocks. i can barely get the thing to bounce in the rear. i know i can haul at least as much of a load as it could before the swap. im not sure that the rear isnt stiffer than before. when i test fit the bed it didnt drop a half inch. i might have a very rough ride when done. we'll see.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:12 PM
crewzmaster
Senior User
Thumbs up good answers

FLgargoyle, you provided a very good answer. I hadn't thought of the technical challenge aspect before. That is what I was looking for. I also use my trucks as trucks. Maybe one day I will start on a highly modified project truck, but I think I would go the route of the dropped I-beams. 4cammer, I dig the Jag rearend. I am anxious to see how it performs. I am always curious about the thought process that directs a project. Thanks for the answers.

Old 12-17-2005, 04:16 AM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Hey Crewz, I really enjoy building some of my "unique" cars and trucks for the challenge, but also just because I like having something different. Maybe it's the "frustrated artist" side of me or something like that, don't know. My '71 is almost ready for paint, the Ranchero still has a long way to go, and I'm allready accumulating peices for a chopped, stretched, and dropped '76 extended cab!!!! Must be some kind of disease, certainly hope I never get cured!!!!!

Old 12-17-2005, 05:01 AM
crewzmaster
Senior User
Hey Dave, thanks for the response. I like the frontend and the console on your project. My big modification goal is to put a hideaway headlight system on one of these trucks and an old Lincoln dash panel inside, maybe the whole 67-69 lincoln interior. Make an old Blackwood or Mark LT.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:27 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Here's one reason: there are cases where the only way to get a proper alignment require bending the i-beams.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Pro-Street/StateTK
Posting Guru
OK i'm with you on leaving the I-BEAMs in our trucks, but I do see the other
side also if people didn't try different things , we would still be riding on staight
axels up front. I think this is like this thing rides like a ('' Truck ") not that
thats a bad thing! Some people are building them thinking that they may
drag race them, and on the drag racing side of this the lower the truck is
the faster a truck is, also the mustang II front end will weigh less, the lighter
a drag truck is the faster they are! I have had many people come up to me
and ask why I needed tires that big and wide on the back of my trucks, they
always walk away saying it can't be used as a truck any more, but the truth
is I would use it more than lots of unmodified trucks ,and when the wheel tubs
seemed to limit what I could haul I would pull a trailor and haul what I wanted.

P.S take a look at my hidden gallery, and see what happens when people can't
leave well enuff alone!

Admin Note: Don't by-pass the language filters with $ characters.

Last edited by Pro-Street/StateTK; 12-17-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:10 AM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Thanks Crewz!! After the holidays and a bit of warm up time down south I will be getting back on mine, should have the truck done by spring. Hideaway headlights would be kewl on a pickup!~! Like any other custom mods it can be done, just takes a bit of time and creativity on the part of the builder. Still haven't finalized tailight plans for mine yet, maybe some Cougar sequentails or something...... The rear has a rolled pan just like the front so it's going to take just the right tailights to make it all work.....Also has a receiver hitch, gotta be a working truck, too!!!!

Old 12-18-2005, 07:05 AM
crewzmaster
Senior User
Thumbs up

Yeah, I have thought about the sequentials on the truck. Maybe a 64-66 T-Bird bumper with the lights. It would have to be incorporated into the tailgate, but with the tailgate still operational. I had seen a 65-66 with a hideaway system, years ago, in a custom mag. I forget exactly when or which one. Trying different things is good for the hobby/business. Like I said, the jag rear is very cool.They always have been. Besides, it's legal now that Jaguar is owned by Ford. Maybe a custom, chromed Ibeam front end? Smooth the beams and detail the whole area might look good.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Did the smoothed and chromed I-Beams once, looked good. Chroming was a lot cheaper then, though!!!!! Powder coating would probably look just as good, and is very durable. T-Bird lights would be kewl. If my '71 has anything for bumpers, it will only be a set of nerfs. The rear will be on a peice of tubing that slides into the reciever hitch. No reason to have a bumper on when I'm towing the trailer anyway, right?????? The next pickup project will have an 8.8 T-Bird IRS unit (highly modified, of course) rear, and a Mustang II type front with the tubular arms. Coilovers all the way around. Scored the 8.8 unit at a swap meet last summer for $250.00 !!!!!

Old 12-19-2005, 11:56 AM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a neighbor who put a mustang front end on his old truck so that it would be more sporty instead of all stiff and truck like. It was an old truck too, like a 40's vintage. But it was just to trick it out and make it look and handle sporty.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,168 Posts
I have a 80 Merc car clip on my 56 as I wanted better steering, suspension and brakes but never would screw with my 69 F100 Twin-I Beam. Depends on what year of truck you are working on. After the Twin-I Beam came in about 1965 the handling/braking/steering was heavier duty, better and safer and stood up longer. More of a heavier duty truck suspension.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:40 AM
boomer202
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the risk of being burned at the stake by the die hards - there are really several schools of thouhgt regarding our old trucks - those that are purists - bone stock, those that do what they can to keep the trucks on the road and blend in newer technology along the way (brake upgrades, one wire alternator..et al), and those who just love pushing the envelope....we have folks w/ chevy motors, jag rear ends, LTD/Merc front suspensions...Bottom line is that people are still excited about these old trucks. I prefer a stock truck but I love seeing what others have done to make their trucks unique. So crews...do what makes you happy but expect a little ribbing along the way. Whatever it is you are thinking of doing - there is someone who has most likely done it already and will be glad to help.