Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Harbor Freight Tire Changer

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:54 PM
mantta
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Harbor Freight Tire Changer

Has anybody out there bought one of them tire changers that Harbor Freight is offering for $39.95? They look like they are pretty well made and was considering getting one.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:29 PM
whowey
Senior User
Yep, I have one.

I have used it to change everything from a 8" yard trailer tire, up to a 35 x 12.5 mud tire. You absolutely need to mount it down. I had it mounted to a sheet of plywood so I could move it, But now it is just mounted to the concrete outside the garage door. Works so much better.

The attached bead breaker leaves something to be desired. I welded some cross braces into it, and it made a big difference. But I usually use a Snap-on bead breaker that I have.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:21 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been using one as well, and if nothing more, it is handy to have it up off the floor where you don't have to bend over. I had to reinforce the bead breaker on the one my dad has, and will likely have to do it sooner or later to mine. I just ran a piece of flat iron perpendicular to the flat iron it had, and stitch welded it on, no problems.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:52 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
I had about a 25 year collection of tires on rims that needed to go to the dump. I bought one from Harbor freight to separate the tires from the rims.

First time I used it, I bent the bead breaker. I welded reinforcement on it and it's been fine since.

The second time I used it, the "star" clamp that holds the wheel onto the tire changer split along one side. I welded it and it's been fine since.

The third time that I used it the base bent. I welded diagonal braces from the base up along the column and it's been fine since.

For $40 I expected these problems, but went ahead and bought it. It was easier/faster than constructing one from scrap.

I've removed close to 50 tires with it.