No responce from PCM - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No responce from PCM

Old 12-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Senior User

fridgeddiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
No responce from PCM

On my way home from work tonight my truck shut down. Shortly before that happened, I had to click the ignition a couple of times to get the glow plug relay to come on. That is the only symptom before the PCM shut down. I keep a new relay in the truck since it has done this occasionally over the last couple of months, especially when it is -20 F like this afternoon, so I was ready to fix that if need be. I had the truck plugged in at work all day and it fired right up once the relay kicked in. Drove about 2 miles down the mountain and she just shut down. Tach dropped to zero like the CMP sensor went out. I didn't have my diagnostic tool with me because it is too cold to keep it in the truck this time of year. Usually I can reset the computer if the CMP sensor goes out and atleast get home. Had my wife bring it from home, plugged it in and got a No Responce message from my computer. Never encountered this one before. My guess is that something major went wrong with my PCM (or maybe a fuse?). No warning nothing, the truck has been running great even in this fridged arctic air that has recently moved in. Took me three hours to tow her home and get her back into some heat. If I had been out of cell phone range I could have died out there. I was pretty frozen when I finally got home. Any suggestions on where to start? Does the PCM have a fuse that could have failed that I'm missing somewhere? Any help sure would be appreciated. Not sure where to start.

-Truely fridged fridgeddeisel

'97 F250 136,000 miles
Old 12-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Post Fiend

Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
In the fuse box in the engine compartment there are a couple fuses (#9 & 22) and a relay for the PCM.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Hmmmmm, shorted out fuel heater?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:59 AM
Post Fiend

Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
or glow plug relay?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Postmaster

1997F-350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.1997F-350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
what is a super moderator??? you are the first i have seen.......

the fuse for the obd2 port is the same as the cig lighter. check that.

i agree sounds like you have a fuel heater problem, easy fix
or a bad cps, or possible fried pcm too.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Post Fiend

Super moderator means that I'm special
Ok,ok...maybe not.
It just means that I have moderator powers in all the forums on here.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:24 PM

cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
what is a super moderator??? you are the first i have seen.......
We try not to let them out much....and never without the proper protective gear.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Post Fiend

Is that gear to protect me or you?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Senior User

I agree, it is a shorted fuel heater. Can it be replaced or does the whole unit need to be replaced? Can I just disconnect it and go without? It is the middle red/green wire I am guessing.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Posting Guru

ltfox is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just disconnect it. You'll be fine. Dunno about the replacment though. It'll run fine unplugged.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Postmaster

1997F-350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.1997F-350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
if your gonna fix it do it JOAT style this guy is good clicky click here.....
Old 12-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Senior User

Thanks for the link, that was a huge help. Thanks to everyone who responded and helped get my truck back on the road!

-Erik

(yea we got snow, 4-7 feet in the mountains. Time to break out that rmk. That is the machine for these parts!)