Honest mistake or ?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 08:07 AM
tkljr
4wd High
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Honest mistake or ?????

I don't know if I've encountered a honest mistake or a new form of "added dealer profit". I guess I'm looking for a "sanity check" on the situation.

Last week I purchased new F250 PSD. There is currently a $2500 rebate and on the gulf coast we also have a $750 Katrina disaster rebate. In addition, I had received a bochure in the mail entitling me to a $1000 rebate (program 31214). One of the first things I did during the purchase process was to ask the salesperson if I was entitled to all three rebates and was told I was. The sales contract was signed showing $4250 in rebates.

I have the truck and yesterday the salesman called and said that I should have only received the $750 OR the $1000 rebate, not both, and they want $750 from me.

I see a few options:

1. Pay it and be upset.

2. Tell them the contract is invalid and I want my trade-in back and all money refunded.

3. Since the dealer made the mistake, expect them to absorb some of the $750.

I could probably live with #3. Is it unreasonable of me to expect a compromise from the dealer?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 12-07-2005, 08:16 AM
fordfan428
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you have the truck and a signed contract I would say they are stuck..JMO..

Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Tell3131
Senior User
I would tell the dealer to stick it. . . that was their mistake. Do you think if you paid them $750 too much they would call you and send you a check for $750. . . or if you realized that you paid too much and wanted $750 from them and requested it, that they would give it to you?

Their dealer holdback will cover their mistake. . . and they learn a lesson. . . such is life. . .
Of course forget what I just said if the dealer was Jeff or Ernie or pj.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:36 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
On 2 separate occasions in my buying experience the dealer has tried to get more cash from me days after delivering a new vehicle.

I politely tell them no. If they present an argument in any way I simply tell them to have my trade in the customer parking area and I will deliver their slightly used new truck back by that same evening.

In both cases I was called back and told that in the interest of customer service and good will they would forgive the additional $$$$.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Hellrazor1
Senior User
I'd give them 75 cents and tell them to call it even.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:03 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tough one to call, but I'd have to call it an honest mistake. It is the responsibility of the dealer to check these things before you take delivery (I just ran it through the computer and I can tell you that those rebates are not compatible, so they're not trying to steal anything from you). It's their fault, and they can't legally come after you for it. You have to decide if you feel they should have any of it back, but let me ask you this: what if it were the other way around? What if you found out later that there was an additional rebate you qualified for, and they mistakenly didn't apply for it? Wouldn't you expect them to give it to you? Or doesn't this situation work both ways?

Old 12-07-2005, 07:30 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
The sales contract was signed showing $4250 in rebates
sounds like they eat it, but to be a nice guy, give them a dollar

Old 12-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
If the contracts signed and I find out later, oh well to bad for me. Id be upset but not much else to do about it. I doubt the dealer would give the extra money.
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
Tough one to call, but I'd have to call it an honest mistake. It is the responsibility of the dealer to check these things before you take delivery (I just ran it through the computer and I can tell you that those rebates are not compatible, so they're not trying to steal anything from you). It's their fault, and they can't legally come after you for it. You have to decide if you feel they should have any of it back, but let me ask you this: what if it were the other way around? What if you found out later that there was an additional rebate you qualified for, and they mistakenly didn't apply for it? Wouldn't you expect them to give it to you? Or doesn't this situation work both ways?

Old 12-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeff,

OK, there is another side to the "other way around"--what if the dealer found out the buyer was entitled to an additional rebate not figured into the deal? Would they call the buyer and say "We're sending you a check for $750." Some would, some wouldn't, I expect. There is no absolute correct answer to this--it's like going thru the checkout line and 1)buyer getting extra $20 in change; or 2) cashier not giving $20 in change. But a dealer can absorb $750 better than a cashier can $20.

So, its up to tkljr to do what he is comfortable with. I myself would go to them with a compromise to keep part and give part, or some good discount on an ESP warranty.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:02 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Wouldn't you expect them to give it to you? Or doesn't this situation work both ways?
there's no way it'd work that way with the dealers around here

Old 12-07-2005, 08:38 PM
landjr
Freshman User
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Mud Doc
Jeff,

OK, there is another side to the "other way around"--what if the dealer found out the buyer was entitled to an additional rebate not figured into the deal? Would they call the buyer and say "We're sending you a check for $750." Some would, some wouldn't, I expect. There is no absolute correct answer to this--it's like going thru the checkout line and 1)buyer getting extra $20 in change; or 2) cashier not giving $20 in change. But a dealer can absorb $750 better than a cashier can $20.

So, its up to tkljr to do what he is comfortable with. I myself would go to them with a compromise to keep part and give part, or some good discount on an ESP warranty.
I am going to say that I do not know of one dealer that would call a customer and tell they are entitled to a rebate. Most likely they pocket it and never say a word. Most dealers have the scum of the earth working for them. I have never had a good experience with a dealer and none of the poeple I know have either.
Stick it to the dealer one good time and have a beer. There was probably something that you were entitled to but they didn't tell you about it cause they where trying to get the most money out of you.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by landjr
I am going to say that I do not know of one dealer that would call a customer and tell they are entitled to a rebate. Most likely they pocket it and never say a word. Most dealers have the scum of the earth working for them. I have never had a good experience with a dealer and none of the poeple I know have either.
Stick it to the dealer one good time and have a beer. There was probably something that you were entitled to but they didn't tell you about it cause they where trying to get the most money out of you.
Well, I've bought a lot of vehicles in 50 years of driving, and you don't get hurt if you do some research, and its a lot easier now than it used to be. THERE ARE HONEST DEALERS OUT THERE--several notes on some threads reference checks to the buyer that they weren't expecting.

The higher the value of the purchased item, the more likely it seems that we think we are getting screwed. Caveat emptor. Call Jeff and Polarbear.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:04 PM
landjr
Freshman User
I don't think that we getting screwed. I just believe it is a real PITA to deal with dealers. Unless you know the salesman or someone at the dealer.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:45 AM
tkljr
4wd High
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback and thanks to 1956markII for confirmation that the two rebates are really incompatible.

Regarding reverse scenario, when I purchased my previous truck (different dealer) I found out later that I should have received a $500 Ford Credit financing rebate and I wasn't able to get it back from the dealer.

In this case, the extra $750 played a part in my purchase decision (it helped rationalize a King Ranch vs Lariat) so I don't feel obligated to return it all (they will be making a few thousand on my trade).

I know I could tell them to stuff it but I wouldn't feel totally comfortable with that, I'd like to maintain a positive relationship with them. I've offered to pay half. We'll see what the response is.......

Old 12-08-2005, 05:35 AM
DRRanger
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
Well to me folks, this is why you'd buy from Jeff... For he explained the situation independent of any history and independent of any relationships... Jeff has offered his opinion based on "doing the right and honest thing" and based on this answer, re-enforces why one should buy from Jeff...he chooses the honest answer.

Honesty is very rare in today's society, let alone in an industry that is known otherwise...

Jeff, I agree with your observation, an honest mistake is worthy of an honest reply and in the end, we all will sleep better at the end of the day. My hat's off to you...

Last edited by DRRanger; 12-08-2005 at 05:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Honest mistake or ?????