Sponsored by: Moser

cab to frame swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Hillcrest#9
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cab to frame swap

need input on swapping a 76 reg cab off a long bed 4x2 on to a 89 long bed 4x4 frame. the 89 was also a reg cab. reason i'm asking is i'm getting the 4x4 at a cheap price with snow plow included. 89 has 351m or 351w efi, motor not running yet but has spark and fuel to the throttle body, ( hopefully a minor problem ), want to swap my 76 cab to 89 frame to avoid going thru ownership transfer and vehicle safety/ emission test. my 76 is exempt from emission test because it's over 20 years old, under 20 years we have to test every 2 years here in canada. My plan is to use my 76 cab but steering collum, wires and computer from the 89.

Any and all input will be appreciated

Thank you *** Hillcrest#9

Old 12-04-2005, 11:13 AM
lil read
Junior User
thats going to be fun. i'm partially doing the same except the frame had an eighty two body on it. your body mounts are in different locations and you're going to have to put the computer for the eng inside

Old 12-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Hillcrest#9
Junior User
lil read

Which mounts are in different location ? , cab front, cab rear or both ??. reLocating the computer will be the easy part as will using all the 89 wireing in the 76 cab. the part i need to know is cab to frame mount differences as well as front clip ( or rad support ) to frame mounting. If mounts on frame are just wider or narrower than the 73 - 79 then i should be able to ajust with 1 by 3 steel tubing across the frame for the cab rear and the clip, maybe relocate the cab front mounts. No matter what i do i know it will take some work but i'm hopeing it will all be worth the effort.

Keep the input comming ***********Hillcrest#9

Old 12-07-2005, 01:41 AM
lil read
Junior User
i do know the front (rad) support is differen't they have to moved in if i remember correctly. the front cab mounts have to be moved as well. tommorrow i'll go out and double check witch way. i'll let you know its been fun so far

mark

Old 12-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
I may be wrong on this because I don't have an 89 to check right here and now, so correct me if I'm wrong. First off I think the 89 frame is wider than the 76. I also believe that the 89's front mounts are bolted through the front of the cab floor, but the 76s mounts are off the outside of the fire wall. As for the the rad support it is definately/completely different.

Now here's my honest oppinion, everything is possible/do-able, This will be a lot of work, but maybe worth it. If you're not in any rush of getting you're truck on the road, I say go for it. Plus the the satisfaction of having completed this sort project is very gratifying.

Good luck and keep us posted.

PS: You might want to measure a lot before you start, just to give you an Idea.

Madmike33

Old 12-07-2005, 03:55 PM
theonlybull
Posting Guru
i'm planning on doing something similar with my crewcab. it is lacking a frame, and i plan to use the one from a 90 f-250 extended cab long box.... providing i get it for the right price... it's also getting the newer drivetrain, and wiring

Old 12-09-2005, 05:09 AM
Hillcrest#9
Junior User
Thanks guys
All this info is great so keep it comming. I'm still dickering a price on the 89 but i think it will be cheap.
Rad support ! how much is it different, i was thinking of using my 76 rad support on the 89 frame with the 89 cross-flow rad.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:45 AM
classicfordfreak
Senior User
The frame definitely is wider on the 89 than it is on the 76. I recently started putting an 85 body on a 76 frame and had to completely drill all new holes. The front cab mounts will need to be moved back about 3 to 4 inches. The easiest way to start the project is set the box on first and line it up where the holes are in the back, then set the cab on, then the fenders, then the core support. The core support is what i am working on now trying to get it to bolt up. The 89 core support bolt holes are of course wider apart than the 76 bolt holes are on the frame. You are probably going to have to make some brackets that extend out off the frame to bolt the core support onto.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:47 AM
classicfordfreak
Senior User
If you are thinking of using the 76 rad support it could make things a little difficult when you try to bolt the fenders on. Not sure how you would make it work, but i'm sure it could be done!

Old 12-09-2005, 08:49 AM
classicfordfreak
Senior User
i'm getting mixed up here! In your case the front cab mounts will need to be moved forward 3-4 inches. I keep thinking you are putting the 89 body on the 76 frame but its the other way around. My bad

Old 12-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
The Rad support is different but could work you're just going to have to modify certain things, what exactly? I'm not too sure because I'm not building the same project as you. That being said it'll probably be less work to use you're 76 rad support because all you tins/grill is set up to bolt up to it.

Good luck

Madmike33

Old 12-09-2005, 11:33 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
use the complete 76 rad. supt. to hold up the fenders, line up with the hood latch, etc... drill new holes for the rad. mounts which may need to be spaced in or out to be properly spaced to the fan. drill new rad. supt. holes to mount to frame if possible, or mount "ears" onto the frame to line up with the current supt. holes.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:52 AM
buffalobob
Senior User
go to a good collision shop...they have frame diagrams that have all the measurements that you require.....although might have to find someone who has been in business a long time and keeps the OLD stuff around. You can make copies of the frame diagrams and if theyre the same scale have plastic transparencies made at someplace like Kinkos (the kind used for overhead projectors)....put one over the other and will show you how possible or impossible this is.....use the dimensions to build plywood templets to relocate the mount locations...in BOTH "X" and "Y" planes....its a lot of work to net a 1976 truck...hope the body is perfect on the '76....how about just taking what you need from the '89 ...and installing on the '76?...sounds easier to me

Last edited by buffalobob; 12-09-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Hillcrest#9
Junior User
"ok" let me say this again. I have a 76 reg cab on a 75 long bed frame with a flat bed, the rear end,front clip,steering colunm and all wireing including fuse block ar all from a 78. the seat is cloth with center arm rest/cup holder/built in head rest is from a 88 lariat. the motor is 302 ( 5.0 L ) with married aod transmission. oh yes i forgot the steering wheel is leather wraped from 88 lariat. my cab is in good shape and i have another complete clip ( hood,fenders,rad support,inner fenders ) in perfect shape.
This truck is owned by me and is daily driven but where i live requires a 4x4 in the winter months, also my 302 is pushing 250k miles with only a water pump and carb replacement at this time but it is getting tired. also the trans and rear are NOT married
My plan if possible with out going to the poor house is this:
I have a chance to get a 89 4x4 with a low mileage 351 m or w efi not running ( computer problem and hacked wireing ). I thought of putting my 76 cab and clip on the 89 4x4 frame and using the 351 efi or switching to 4 barrel carb. this would allow me to use the cross flow rad with my rad support ( adding saddle brackets ). rear cab mounts and clip to frame mounts will be easy to ajust but the front cab mounts is where i need info on, I my also use the 89 steering column in my 76 cab to meet up with the 89 steering box.
"ok" now that i have said all that i will wait for your in-put, thanks to all
hillcrest#9 ( Rick )

Old 12-11-2005, 12:08 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
the 89 was never offered with a 351M as stock.

Quick Reply: cab to frame swap