1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

what do you do during the winter months?

Old 12-02-2005, 09:04 PM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ferguson777
So I’ll likely spark up the heater in the garage a bit as I will not weld in the basement (it’s meant to be a woodworking shop and welding and sawdust don’t mix).

yeah the basement gets pretty smokey after a while too. John

Old 12-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm just greatful our winter temp usally does'nt get no lower than 20 degree at night and up into the 50's during the day to allow some work to be accomplish during winter; however this winter I'm going to detail an engine for next spring's project and finish putting my first resto truck back together. Also great time to reorganized the garage for more shelves space and clear out some junk. Usually the stuff I throw away that's been hanging around for years is the stuff I need acouple of day's after I chunk it.

Mitch

Old 12-02-2005, 11:43 PM
AK Fifty-Three
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53fatfndr
I love the winter! Park the hot rod, take out the snowmobile
Amen, brother! It definitely helps having something else fun to look forward to, doesn't it? And since the garage door is open anyway while I am pulling the snowmobile out, I can start the '53 and let it run for awhile and warm up a bit...

Old 12-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do what work practicable between So. Cals. bouts of Liquid Sunshine.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Do what work practicable between So. Cals. bouts of Liquid Sunshine (get a certain amount of birds egg size hail here as well), Santa Anna Winds (which can gust up over 70mph @ times), Lighting Storms (rather frequint), Flash Flood Warnings (along former river beds & the desert areas).
Mother Nature has been throwing a Temper Tantrum the last several years & we've gone from Semi-Arid, to Semi-Tropical & the Humidity as of late is a tick much after over 50 years of a normal 20-25% high.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:04 AM
johnsf
Senior User
As they say here in Michigan we have two seasons ..winter and July. I've pulled out the bench seat in my 56 and toying with the idea of recovering it or maybe getting a couple of used buckets to put in come spring. I try to start my truck every couple of weeks and let it run for awhile but the 460 is getting harder to start the colder it gets here.Just finished replacing the vent seals and glass and am having new glass for the side windows, I'd love to tackle the rear window but I think it's too cold to play around with the seal. Late

John F.

Old 12-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Wheels331
Freshman User
I figure it's a good time to work on the house,I've been ignoring some issues for a while.Nothing major,but interior painting and changing woodwork to a nice light stain instead of the out of date dark stain from the early 70s.I'm also detailing the interior of my 52 in between rooms.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:43 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only difference here in NH is instead of working with the garage door open, I close it.
I picked up a freebie oil fired hot air furnace from a friend who put a new "efficient" one in for his customer. It heated an old 6 room house, it loafs in a garage. The tank is a 55 gal drum, another freebie, mounted out back on a pipe stand I welded up. If I can find a good, and free, 275 gal tank, I'll use that instead.
When the garage is not in use I set it at 45* with a special low temp thermostat I actually had to buy.

If I cant afford the fuel I certainly shouldnt be involved in this hobby!

Old 12-04-2005, 04:39 AM
Fifty F3
Junior User
I pulled the engine out in mid October, had the block cleaned and magnafluxed, the crank ground, and will, in a few minutes, go out into the attached garage where the kerosene heater will have brought the temp up to nearly 50 (10 Celsius) to lap in the last eight valves.
One of us gets to keep her car in half the garage, the other half is mine (sort of) to play in. Gets pretty cosy with truck parts (disassembled engine, transmission, heater, miscellaneous small under body sheet metal), and a collection of automotive and woodworking equipment. Great place to hide Christmas presents, as no one but me will venture into that side of the garage.
Dave

Last edited by Fifty F3; 12-04-2005 at 04:41 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 12-04-2005, 08:08 AM
johnsf
Senior User
Got about 3 in. of snow overnight so time to fire up the snowblower,it sit's in the garage next to my truck. I'll just go by the truck and pat it on the tubbed out fender and whisper "Think Spring"

John F.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:00 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI- I created a couple of new galleries. One shows my engine and tranny installed and a few shots of my 85-92 Ch*v Van gas tank installed.

The other shows the before pics of my planned project for this winter. Sure hope it goes as well as it did in my mind this past month. Anyone who remembers the grill mods I did (shown in one of my galleries) knows it's all about the darkside... (George - you've been warned - don't look).

Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 PM
StarFox
Senior User
I'll be riding my motorcycle as usual............

Old 12-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a list of To Do's for this winter that's 41 items long. After 5 days off (Thanksgiving and this weekend) I can finally cross one of the easy ones off.

Either the winter is too short...or the list it too long (or, I am too slow).

Old 12-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
R.J.

It's actually a Combination or All 3.

Merry Holidays

Old 12-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,340 Likes on 1,102 Posts
We can`t even think of working in the shop without using the furnace as it gets to 40 below at times! With the price of heating oil I do alot of planning first. Want to finally get enough done so that by spring/summer I can get to drive the 56 M100 after 3 years of it sitting in peices. Finish the frame and sart mounting the body and the power train. Will be interesting to see how the 302/C4 and the steering fit with the 80 Mercury car clip. There will be alot of odds and ends to do. Can`t wait for spring weather but then my time is too limited to be able to work on my toys so time to get busy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what do you do during the winter months?