Sponsored by:

plans

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:21 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
plans

well, since rodeo weekend, my 88 been outa commision. the oil pump went while someone else was driving it, and it overheated, and died. major internal damage. next, someone left a 1.5 million candle power light on the seat, long storry short, middle of night in the country on the side of the road the interior burnt up.
well heres my plans, i wanna pull all the efi crap, and all that stuff, and go full carb, as i like to play in water alot. is this crap worth anything? things like intake manifold, wiring, fuel tanks, computer, stuff like that that i wont need.
for the interior, i wanna rip out the rest of the inteor, put some bucket seats in it, a center consol, and rock it with no carpet, and im gonna make wood door panels. i saw this done on a old jeep truck, and it looks really good.
what am i lookin at to rebuild this block that i have, with out any machine work, assuming that everything is true?
for fuel, ive got a aluminum fuel cell off of a reefer trailer that i want to use, but i want to keep the "dual" tanks and set the secondary as a reserve on my single tank, and mount it inside my big gear box in the bed.
ive got a dana 44 and 60 rear commin for straight axles on it, so i think ill go that route on axles.
hows all this sound to yall? i think im gonna start rippin crap out tomorow, see how easy the door panels are gonna be. thanks yall.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:59 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
i would keep the efi if it were me...jsut do some research and you can remove alot of the unnecessary smog junk.

just go through and check the seals on all the connections, and as long as you keep the intake and compute rout of the water you should be fine, as well as the dizzy.

neither carb or efi will really be better in the water...the dizzy is the main thing to worry about. efi is nice because of the cold starts and the ability to run upside down. as well as not having to tune a carb.

if you want simple go propane or drop a 4bt cummins in....those have little wiring, run upside down

Old 11-30-2005, 07:18 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,108 Posts
As Kubota said, I'd recommend you stick with the EFI. Granted being in an 88 it's not going to support horsepower upgrades, but it will be dead reliable and run good at any angle.

It's a piece of cake to get rid of the A.I.R. pump and still retain the serpentine belt setup on these as any auto parts store will have a belt that will fit (custom application, obviously) and it's also easy to pinch off and bend over the A.I.R. lines.

If you don't mind taping over the check engine light, the EGR is easy to disable.

I'm afraid you'd be hard pressed to get any kind of money out of your EFI system anyways....hey, you could always talk to my friend about putting a turbo on it (turbo300six is his name here) and get some MAD POWER out of it.

As for a fuel cell or getting rid of the factory tanks, it's not going to be a real big issue. The low pressure pumps in the tanks are easy to modify for different depth tanks and you can always jimmy the float on the sender to work somewhat accurately. Besides, any low pressure pump will work since the high pressure pump is on the frame under the cab anyways.

Since the computer is mounted just above the parking brake on your truck, I would recommend moving it to a slightly higher location as they are not waterproof by any stretch of the imagination. This is very easy as well and may be worth a ton to you depending on how much water you may get into.

Don't do a carb, man. They are nothing but trouble and driveability nightmares.

Cody

Old 11-30-2005, 08:17 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> like intake manifold, wiring, fuel tanks, computer, stuff like that that i wont need.

The computer would be worth something on E-Bay, maybe along with the -complete- harness you might get a few bucks more. The intake and fuel tanks are pretty much worthless to most people.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:23 AM
The SnoMan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
i would keep the efi if it were me...jsut do some research and you can remove alot of the unnecessary smog junk.

just go through and check the seals on all the connections, and as long as you keep the intake and compute rout of the water you should be fine, as well as the dizzy.

neither carb or efi will really be better in the water...the dizzy is the main thing to worry about. efi is nice because of the cold starts and the ability to run upside down. as well as not having to tune a carb.

if you want simple go propane or drop a 4bt cummins in....those have little wiring, run upside down
If you coat electrical conections with silicone grease, water will not bother them. Also propane will run upsidedown to without the weight penalty of a oil burner but neither one will lube the bearings when doing it ad likely load up from oil stacked on pistons . You need a dry sump to run inverted. Also it takes far less water injestion to toast a oil burner but good than a gas motor.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:22 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
i was saying both will run at any angle, alogn with efi......comparing to a carb, which wont...

im not an idiot...im sure most people realize running an engine where it is starving for oil is bad

Old 11-30-2005, 03:36 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
im not an idiot...im sure most people realize running an engine where it is starving for oil is bad
seriously? geez, i never run any oil, i always thought it was a waste. i got better gas mileage since i didn't have to haul around 16 quarts of extra oil. also it saves me money

guess i need to start running some oil! maybe i could buy some used off ebay and it'll be cheaper

-cutts-

Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
well, im kinda debating on the engine degree of it. ive got a 83 c10, and i love the room under the hood. one vacum line, one wring harness to the dizzy, thats it. if there was a way that i could eleminate most of the wiring ont this beast, down to like one sizable harness, and few vacumm lines, i would be happy. any way to do it that way? im gonna pull the ac and air pump anyway to make room for the york compressor i got sittin in the shop to mount somehow.

Old 11-30-2005, 03:48 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
if you are willing you really should look into the 12v, 4bt, or even the 6bt cummins. theres like one wire to hook up and will run underwater if you have a snorkel. then you could. not sure about the vaccum but i dont think there is much if any

they can be found all over the place (at least around here, i have seen a stack of them at Quality in F'ville, chris!)

just a thought

-cutts-

Old 11-30-2005, 03:57 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
wait your telling me there is a stack of 4bt and 6bt cummins at quality???? are they not seized/junked/blown up?

Old 11-30-2005, 04:10 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
how much am i lookin at to ro that route? i know of a place that has a old loader with 4 cylinder cummins in it, is this the same enigne as you speak of? im just lookin for a round about number.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:10 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
what kind of loader is it....i have never seen a loader with a cummins in it, i have seen lulls with 4bt cummins...

Old 11-30-2005, 06:40 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
not sure what kind, tires as tall as me, center steer. says cummins on the side of it, the block that is. a 4 cylinder intake. ill have to look next time i take a load in.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:18 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
there was a stack of cummins (i know cause i walked over to them) last time i was there a few months ago!

-cutts-