Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 05:33 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Block Heater Maintenance

After finding my power cord open on both hot and neutral i did some analysis:
I would HIGHLY recommend pulling the orange plug at the engine block heating
element and checking for corrosion. Probably annually would be good as this is a 1000watt heater pulling about 8-9amps. The undercarriage moisture buildup causes the corrosion and eventually will lead to cord damage thru excessive heat buildup(like mine). The stealership wants $73 for a new one! YIKES! U can get one online for $53. Sometimes they can be repaired if your handy with electrical. Recommend cleaning/burnishing contacts at BOTH ends to prevent failure. I use a combo of emery cloth and contact cleaner. A good cord/element reads around 15 ohms resistance on a ohmmeter(DVM) across both flat prongs(hot and neutral) on three prong plug.
I doubt the internal heating element goes bad as much. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Jim

Last edited by PSNut; 11-26-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:48 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Heater Cord Maint

Would recommend using silcone dielectric grease on both plugs as well. I do it on mine 2 times per year Spring & Fall and mine has held up pretty well. Just a light coating to protect them from the elements.

DG

Old 11-28-2005, 02:55 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dagren99
Would recommend using silcone dielectric grease on both plugs as well. I do it on mine 2 times per year Spring & Fall and mine has held up pretty well. Just a light coating to protect them from the elements.

DG
i was thinking more along the lines of a conductive paste at the heater/block connection to seal out moisture and promote good current conductivity and your recommendation of the dielectric grease at the plug.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:22 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good information....thanks.

Just speculation...but assuming that distilled water is not used, wouldn't the element itself be subjected to the same type of build-up that happens in the water heater in the house? Might that make it neccessary to clean it from time to time?