Sponsored by:

Excursion or Armada? What an eye-opener-

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 08:11 PM
raineytx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Excursion or Armada? What an eye-opener-

I sold some snow tires on E-bay for a car I no longer owned and bought some wheels for my current commuter car (VW Golf TDI). I thought about making the trip from Rhode Island to Deleware in our 02 Ex with the 7.3 but decided a 950 mile trip would be more economical in a smaller SUV. Besides, before buying the EX, we thought (briefly) about the Armada. So, I worked a deal with one of the rental car companies my company deals with for an ARMADA for the one-day trip. What a dissappointment-we averaged 17.5 MPG on the highway for the whole trip. With the little fuel tank-we were filling up almost all the time. We get almost 17.5 in our Ex AROUND TOWN! Besides, we could of made the trip on a little more than one tank!
The power was OK but missed the torque-the thing shifted down on every little incline. Even had to fold the third row seat down on the Nissan to put the wheels in-never had to that in the Ex....It was like driving a car-didn't have that commanding view we were used to....
Went to Northern NH this weekend-took the EX (of course)-almost 19 mpg and plenty of room for all. Much more confortable. Next time I get a crazy idea like that again-someone remind me what a good decision we made to buy the Ex.
  • comfortable cruiser
  • safe
  • quite economical
  • long cruising range
We are really glad we chose the Ex and plan to keep for a long-long time.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:18 PM
JUMBO_UTE
Senior User
I averaged 18 mpg on a trip to Tucson and back to San Diego. Bone stock vehicle. I plan on an exhaust, intake, Banks Power Elbow and BigHead Waste gate actuator in the near future. I hope to see 20mpg or more.
(BTW, the best I ever got with my V6 Ranger; 20 mpg.)

Old 11-21-2005, 08:21 PM
raineytx
Junior User
mine is bone-stock too-until warranty up at 100k....

Old 11-29-2005, 01:37 AM
ymmv
Senior User
I think the Armada/FX56 is well named -- it handles like an Armada. While Nissan has packed the features into the Infiniti version, it's still like driving a huge Maxima.
Every time I rattle the Exc to life it's just plain fun to drive and it does such a good job as a work-horse and tow vehicle.
I never see 18mpg at the end of a tank, but I am so happy to go a week or more without visiting the drive-thru gougers ... : |