1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Generator in '64

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 02:24 PM
jethro1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generator in '64

When I installed a new 223 engine in my '64 F-100, I think I may have reversed the field wires on the generator. I'm installing a new voltage regulator. How do I make sure I have the wires right on the generator? Any color coding on the wires is completely faded.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:53 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trace them from the regulator. If I'm not mistaken, (IF I am someone will correct me!) the regulator is marked F & A for field and Armature. Generator should be also. Just follow or "ring out" the wires with a test light before installing. Incidentally, you should "flash" the generator when you install it.
If memory serves, it was an instantaneous connection from battery + to field terminal, causing a momentary current to magnetize the field poles. (Boy, am I going back for that one).

Old 11-17-2005, 11:29 AM
jethro1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, alchymist. I think the procedure for "flashing" the generator is covered in the shop manual. "ring out"??

Old 11-17-2005, 02:14 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jethro1
Thanks, alchymist. I think the procedure for "flashing" the generator is covered in the shop manual. "ring out"??
"Ring out" means to check with an ohmmeter or test light by connecting to one end of a bunch of wires and then locating the other end by trying all the other loose ends until one indicates on the meter or the test light lights. Electronic term, I think it came originally from the telephone co......