General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Non-lethal weapons...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 03:33 PM
MRKnight
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-lethal weapons...

Looks like our military has been working on non-lethal weapons for a while, here are 2 cool ones I ran across today. I'd like the PHASR in a smaller, more portable version and the LRAD mounted on my [truck] roof please

LRAD
PHASR

Anyone else seen any other good ones?

Old 11-15-2005, 10:10 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that LRAD thing is cool, but it'd be cooler if cruise ships were equiped with 10" guns (hehe)

I read about a thing once, I think was some sort of sonic device that basiccally caused a seizure and loss of control of body fiunctions / muscles

Old 11-16-2005, 05:00 AM
AeroPA
Elder User
They were working on subsonics a while back. Nasty stuff. It can even stop your heart if you have heart problems. It will definitely make you sick to your stomach and disrupt hearing.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:11 AM
slash31938
Posting Guru
i allways liked the sand bag shotguns and the guns that were like really high powered paintball guns. i saw some shells at the last gun show that wer loaded with plastic instead of lead, but they looked like they could still puncture your skin or bust a lung.

I think that its pretty cool that the govt is taking the time to develop less-lethal weapons, to use in hostage situations and the such.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:39 AM
mwtmwt
Senior User
If I pull my punches I guess you could call my Fists Non-lethal weapons

Mike

Old 11-16-2005, 09:04 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
I would think the biggest safety concern for a cruise ship would not to have easy water level access to any deck. If there is not any access point 20 feet above sea level it will make it pretty hard to board a cruise ship doing 20 knots.

Cruise ships can not be armed with effective weapons because of their port of calls and safety issues. Though I would match a ship mounted quad .50 cal machine gun turret against a speed boat full of pirates with M-16s/AK-47s any day.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:02 AM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
How about a weapon that fired a rubber bullet at the same time as it dazzled your eyes and sub-soniced your bowels into nausea?
(A deviant mind is hard to find, heehee)

Old 11-16-2005, 01:40 PM
JD717
Elder User
I recall a SWAT tool awhile back. its basicallt a paintball gun, but it shoots ***** filled with powdered pepperspray. nonlethal, and its a perfect crowd control device, plus theres also a round that can be used to mark troublesom persons to arrest or watch. talk about technology.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:58 PM
uuranium
Senior User
Originally Posted by JD717
I recall a SWAT tool awhile back. its basicallt a paintball gun, but it shoots ***** filled with powdered pepperspray. nonlethal, and its a perfect crowd control device, plus theres also a round that can be used to mark troublesom persons to arrest or watch. talk about technology.
that would suck if one of those pepperspray ***** chopped in the gun. i can only see one problem with tht paint ball gun and that is if some one loses an eye and then turns around a sues the poliece department.

Old 11-16-2005, 03:30 PM
bluesuedetruck
Senior User
Re: The PHASR

The article refered to one of the "worries" is that it "might cause some vision damage." ...better a little blind than DEAD!!!

Old 11-16-2005, 05:47 PM
JD717
Elder User
Originally Posted by uuranium
that would suck if one of those pepperspray ***** chopped in the gun. i can only see one problem with tht paint ball gun and that is if some one loses an eye and then turns around a sues the poliece department.
Well, you have to remember the swat officers are wearing gas masks because they're likely using CS gas to get suspects to surrender. it wont have much affect on the officer.

The pepperball, they aim for the chest to prevent that from happening.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:43 AM
derherr65
Elder User
Any firearm is nonlethal... until the perp chooses to ignore your warning.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:22 AM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by four-sixty-power
How about a weapon that fired a rubber bullet at the same time as it dazzled your eyes and sub-soniced your bowels into nausea?
(A deviant mind is hard to find, heehee)
I think I'd rather just be shot, thanks...

Old 11-17-2005, 11:28 AM
derherr65
Elder User
Mythbusters tried that subsonic "brown note." The test subject had no problem, the speaker guys had had no problems, the electronics guys had had no problem. One of the crew members didn't feel well, but they didn't know if it was the experiment or not, and she could function fully normally. The only guy that was convinced it was true was the salesman at the speaker store. Gee, wonder what his motivation was? They declared the myth busted.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:04 PM
pchristman
Laughing Gas
Saw a gun on some tv show that shot some sort of goo *****, that expanded into sticky foam upon impact, literally sticking the victim to anything he came in contact with. Have no idea how they loaded him into a squad car.

Quick Reply: Non-lethal weapons...