Sponsored by: DP Tuner

just got a99 stroker need power need advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 12:35 AM
day jefro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got a99 stroker need power need advise

hi i just got my dream truck 99 psd supercab f250 superduty 4x4. i also just right now instaled a bully dog 4 bank chip woow dang the truck was alredy straight piped but i orderd a 5'' any way ialso ordered afe stage 2 air filter .is this sounding ok ? i want to add a mudule like an ez they say they can be stacked has any one done this . my goal is to smoke out as many dmaxxs as possable .

Old 11-15-2005, 02:20 AM
GaStroke29
Freshman User
honestly before you get more power you need gauges to monitor your motor, your dream truck will be a nightmare if you blow the motor up. but then after that chip i would get a fuel box that actually plugs into the map sensor because you canot stack a programmer with that chip

Old 11-15-2005, 06:01 AM
johnny8
Postmaster
gauges.... gauges.... gauges... gauges... gauges.. but before you do that... get some gauges...!

Old 11-15-2005, 06:09 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you want to make smoke, i would recommend stacking a tuner and a fueling box. Edge's products are very compatible with one another. i would start out with the Edge Juice module with Attitude monitor, it has 5 different power levels you can change on the fly, plus the monitor has exhaust temp and boost pressure, which essentially eliminates the need for gauges if you dont want a transmission temp. once you have that, i would get the evolution programmer to stack on that. on the midto highest settings, you can blow a huge plume. i plan on getting the evolution so i can adjust my tranny and pull codes, but the power is a thing to boot.

talk to BuickTurbo, he has this setup.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:32 AM
Fordafied
Senior User
And when you want to graduate to some real power, get yourself a custom burned flip chip. No tuner out there will touch the power of a custom burned chip.
As far as gauges go, well if you don't want to have a meltdown, GET GAUGES.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:34 AM
kilapapipa
Senior User
You might want to get the custom chip. I among others are on the growing list of those selling tuners or giving them away to move up to a chip. I wish someone else would have told me to go directly to the chip and skip the tuner.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:34 AM
day jefro
Senior User
thanks guys forgot to mention truck came with auto meter gauges trans pyro boost. can you tell me the paramaters to watch for gauges aint no good except for camp fie storys "the turbo muta been glowing 1800 f trans 500F cant remmber boost cause thats about the time it incenerated got out just in time but dang it sure was fast" thanks guys joining fte was the best thing i did for for my psd

Old 11-15-2005, 08:42 AM
day jefro
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fordafied
And when you want to graduate to some real power, get yourself a custom burned flip chip. No tuner out there will touch the power of a custom burned chip.
i just instaled the bully dog in the back of the pcm high setting 150 HP is that what your talking about ? sounds like i should have joined up a little earler. thx again

Old 11-15-2005, 09:06 AM
stroker2
Senior User
Originally Posted by day jefro
thanks guys forgot to mention truck came with auto meter gauges trans pyro boost. can you tell me the paramaters to watch for gauges aint no good except for camp fie storys "the turbo muta been glowing 1800 f trans 500F cant remmber boost cause thats about the time it incenerated got out just in time but dang it sure was fast" thanks guys joining fte was the best thing i did for for my psd
Gauge parameters:
Automatic transmission - 200* max, add another transmission oil cooler if need be.
Pyro / EGT (exhaust gas temp) - if the probe is installed pre-turbo, 1200* max, not sure if probe is post-turbo, too inaccurate. Most people like to keep it below 1100*, pre-turbo. The new intake and 4 or 5" exhaust will help keep the EGTs down.
Boost - I've read 30 psi is a good limit, and I've read 40 psi. At 40 psi it may literally "blow a gasket" or tear up the turbo. The right foot controls this.

Welcome to FTE. A great site with lots of info and helpful people. When you get a chance, fill out the signature info so others can see what kind of truck you have and what you've got on it.

LOL Now I'm doing moderator work.

Last edited by stroker2; 11-15-2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Fordafied
Senior User
Originally Posted by day jefro
i just instaled the bully dog in the back of the pcm high setting 150 HP is that what your talking about ? sounds like i should have joined up a little earler. thx again
Nope, The only custom burn chips that I know of are, Jody T of DP-tuner.com and Tony Wildman. A lot of folks get the Jody chip, which I hear is good, but that is "technically" not a custom chip either. It's when you get them to burn one with things like your own shift points and other parameters just for your truck, is when you can call it a "custom" burnt chip. I have a Wildman chip as you can see in my sig. and boy that thing is awesome. I had a tuner and a TS performance chip and neither one compares to the Wildman chip.
Twildman is on this board and his name is just as I spelled it. You can PM him if you are interested.
One more thing, unless you have an over-boost eliminator, you will not be able to get the power due to de-fueling. That's when you boost to 22 psi and the truck will de-fuel to keep from going higher. The stock turbo is "rated" for 25 psi only. I have to Over-boost eliminator kit from ITP and it works great.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Fordafied; 11-15-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:41 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Fordafied
i agree on the Tipton burned chip...mines totally awesome!, not custom just an 80hp econo tune and WOW!

Old 11-15-2005, 06:57 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PSNut
i agree on the Tipton burned chip...mines totally awesome!, not custom just an 80hp econo tune and WOW!
i have a similar setup as you... gonna get the exhaust system in the spring.. i hope.. then i think i will get a CUSTOM tuned chip from jt... we'll see... i'm very happy with the way my truck runs now though... i don't feel bad when i pull away from a ricer at a stoplight... the looks i get...!

Old 11-15-2005, 07:14 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by johnny8
i have a similar setup as you... gonna get the exhaust system in the spring.. i hope.. then i think i will get a CUSTOM tuned chip from jt... we'll see... i'm very happy with the way my truck runs now though... i don't feel bad when i pull away from a ricer at a stoplight... the looks i get...!
Yeah...i pulled away from a riceer at the Bedford Toll...lots of fun!
I'm getting that tru-cool tranny cooler next. How has yours been? A cool tranny
is a happy tranny!

Old 11-15-2005, 07:46 PM
SpoolingF-350
Junior User
How does the custom chip work in everyday driving? I would like to get more power But I drive it everyday, But love to have lots of power when needed or wanted, and how will it effect fuel mileage when normal driving. I notice I lost a lot with my chip even when I am not getting on it, is it the same with the custom chip?

Thanks Derek

Old 11-15-2005, 07:48 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PSNut
Yeah...i pulled away from a riceer at the Bedford Toll...lots of fun!
I'm getting that tru-cool tranny cooler next. How has yours been? A cool tranny
is a happy tranny!
the cooler has been a big success... i could tow the 10k lb 5ver in the summer heat and get the tranny temps over 200 very quickly... since i put that cooler on i have not seen ANY readings over 185... and that was towing up some steep hills at speeds below 50 mph... truly tough on a tranny to do that... would have been better if i could have kept the tc locked up... most of the time i rarely see temps above 150 when towing... even up through the Franconia Notch a couple of times... it was in the 50's when i went though... the only prob with the cooler is that i have to cover it up now...! temps are too cool.. the tranny gauge never moves..! i'm just gonna cover up half of my grille, the side that the tranny cooler is on so it isn't getting direct airflow..