Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

'83 F350 6.9 help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:56 AM
6.9FordMan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, the Fuel Stops at the I.P. How do you fix the fuel shutoff solenoid?

I'm still having all of these problems:
-The Headlights and Taillights DO NOT work, BUT the FRONT turn signals work.
-Dash lights work
-The Radio DOES NOT work, BUT the blower motor DOES WORK.
-Engine turns over BUT DOES NOT START! (Fuel getting to the filter, not going past I.P.)
-On the Pannel where the "Wait to Start" & "Check Engine Temp" & "Water In Fuel" Lamps are, NORMALLY when I goe to start the truck ALL of those lamp come on at once when the starter engauges, BUT RIGHT NOW ONLY the "Check Engine Temp" lamp comes on when attempting to start.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:22 AM
wh336fire
Senior User
Ok , you have me scratching my head on this one . I'm gonna go poke around on mine and see what I can come up with . I'm gonna try a few tricks to see if I can make my truck act like yours . As far as not running , it should run so long as there is power to the wire on the ip that is on the drivers side nearest the grill . Also check the ground on the other pole which is on the passenger side . If it still won't start then it should be the solenoid . There is a plate with screws on the top of the ip where you hook up the wires . The solenoid is under it .

Old 11-29-2005, 12:34 PM
smiller4597
Senior User
6.9fordman, Been there, done that, with the solenoid problem! When my solenoid went bad some of my dash lights stopped working. Not sure why??? Maybe there needed to be a demand from the solenoid??? after replacing the solenoid everything went back to normal and everything works great still. The solenoid is pretty easy to check by yourself. First off, make sure you are ready to start the engine if it starts ie. fuel filter is full and everything is hooked up and or out of the way of the fan. Remove the single wire from the driver side of the top of the ip, turn the key to the on position, with a test light (volt meter would be better to see how many volts are actually there) check the wire for power or voltage. If there is power, leave the wire disconnected and run a jumper wire from the positive terminal of the passenger side battery to the terminal in the ip, you should hear a click of the solenoid, if you hear this click, leave the jumper wire connected and start the truck (dont worry about the dash lights just yet).REMEMBER the only way to stop a diesel is to stop the fuel (remove the jumper wire). If the truck does not start, crack one of the injector lines from an injector and crank the engine (you can crank the engine from under the hood by using a large screw driver and arcing the two large terminals on the fender mounted starter solenoid) you should see fuel very quickly. If you dont see Fuel then you may have a plugged screen in the pump or the pump is bad. If you do not hear the click from the solenoid when applying 12 volts from the battery remove all the wires from the ip and remove the solenoid housing from the top of the ip (the solenoid housing has an o-ring instead of a gasket) with the solenoid housing removed try the direct 12 volts from the battery again REMEMBER the solenoid or the housing must be grounded for the solenoid to work. You should be able to make it work by playing with it a little unless it is just totally fryed. Here is a link to injector pump and solenoid kits:

http://www.mwfi.com/dieselPage/ford_69.htm

Hope this helps a little. Post back with the results. there are alot of different self tests you can do and instead of finishing this book it might be better to rule things out one by one.

Last edited by smiller4597; 11-29-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:02 PM
wh336fire
Senior User
OK , I did a little poking around on mine . I found that the large yellow wire coming from the alt splits off into 2 fusible links . This is on the pass side fender well . When I disconnected the orange wire the headlights and the radio would not work . The truck would start and run fine .
I found that if I took the large wire off of the starter solenoid It killed power to pretty much everything . The truck would not even turn over . I think we can rule that one out .
I did find a hidden connection in the wiring harness going to the alt . In the harness is a junction were they tied 3 wires together . Mine was located top of the alt in front of the fuel filter . It is nice to know this connection is there .
I hope this info helps . Let us know what you find .

Scott , I am baffled at the dash light and fuel solenoid connection . I can't even begin to imagine what one has to do with the other unless there was a major power loss that effected them both . Usually when something weird happens it is a ground . I'll have to piddle with mine one day to see if I can find out why the dash lights would't work because the fuel solenoid was't working . That is strange , but I like a challenge....lol.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:39 PM
6.9FordMan
Freshman User
Ok, I've been messing w/ the I.P. and I ran a wire from the batt right to the I.P. like you said. It Clicks, so I turned the engine over and it is now getting fuel. It STILL has not started, but I think thats because my glowplugs don't work and it's really cold outside now.

So, what's my next step w/ making everything work again?

Old 12-04-2005, 09:55 PM
wh336fire
Senior User
Have you checked the wiring harness to the alt?

Old 12-04-2005, 09:57 PM
wh336fire
Senior User
Have you checked to make sure there is no juice going to the headlights ?

Old 12-05-2005, 12:38 AM
6.9FordMan
Freshman User
No I didn't check the headlights yet. I'm trying to focus on one thing at a time.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:11 PM
smiller4597
Senior User
one thing at a time is a good way to go. Did the lead from the harness to the solenoid have power? Get her plugged in and get her running.The problem I had with my shut off solenoid was intermittent some times it would work and the truck would start and sometimes it wouldnt. That along with a fuel leak at the tank made for a frustrating diagnosis. As I said before, when I replaced the solenoid the dash lights worked as they should. Still not sure why, maybe the solenoid was shorting when power was applied to it causing a drain on the electrical system. Who knows??? Get it to start everytime you turn the key then concentrate on any electrical problems. When you have it running and both batteries up to full charge you can start taking readings from the alt. an so on.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:31 AM
6.9FordMan
Freshman User
So, how do I fix the I.P. to where I don't need to run a jumper wire anymore? And then what's my next step on the rest of my problems?

Old 12-07-2005, 07:58 AM
wh336fire
Senior User
It will help if you know if there is power to the systems that are not working . Sometimes we dig too deep without checking the basics .

Old 12-08-2005, 05:55 PM
6.9FordMan
Freshman User
Do any of you know where I can just get a whole new wiring harness. We have like 12" of snow on the ground now, so I can't be spending all day outside trying to find out what the hell is wrong w/ my truck.
Or is there some place that can service a problem like this?

Old 12-11-2005, 07:46 PM
6.9FordMan
Freshman User
Ok, well it got a little warmer outside so I spent like all day working on it. Got the lights working (the Orange wire). Now the only problem is that it won't start up. I'm getting some new glowplugs, because my old ones are crap, and I'm going to see if that does it.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:51 PM
wh336fire
Senior User
Sounds good , let us know .

Old 12-16-2005, 04:44 PM
6.9FordMan
Freshman User
Ok, well I got my new glowplugs in and they ARE working. I didn't have too much time before I came to work, but I tried to start the truck and it acted like it was going to start, but never did. Could it be that the fuel is too old? The truck has been down since 11-12-05. I tried filling the filter w/ fresh fuel. Is there anything else I can do?

Oh, my block heater HAS NOT and STILL DOES NOT WORK. So I can't just plug it in.

Quick Reply: '83 F350 6.9 help