General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ticks- in the house!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 06:56 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ticks- in the house!

Our house is suddenly sprouting ticks everywhere! We live in a semi-urban area, and our dog hasn't been out of the yard in literally years. I've never seen a tick in FL (they're dog ticks, btw) until this week. We've removed a number of them from the dog (she has thick black fur, so they're hard to find), but we've probably found 20 or so crawling around the house. I've been working in the yard 2 weekends straight, and haven't had one- only in the house! Where did they come from? How do we get rid of them? Why don't the cats have them? Help!

Old 11-08-2005, 07:06 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds creepy, I would drop the 150 dollars for an exterminator. I think that is very strange.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:18 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your dog probably brought the ticks in. A few fell off the dog & hatched the ticks you have. I'd get ride of them fast. I caught rocky mountian spotted fever & lime disease from one tick bite. Be careful.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:22 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Regular ticks don't really carry lime disease, it's the tiny little ticks that do.

It's tick season, if my dogs went into the woods for a walk right now I betcha I could take about literally 50 ticks off them, I have before.

The ticks usually get on the animal, animal comes in the house, they fall or get brushed off before inbetting themselves in the animal.

The ticks usually latch on around the neck area of the animal, or hard to find places.

My dogs are treated with a special chemical that kills ticks after they latch on.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:28 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would search the net for ticks and learn about them, also, you need to positively identify the tick you are dealing with. Ticks have a very complicated life cycle, and a good knowledge of how that cycle works will help you keep them out of your life.
Do you have crawlspaces under or above your house???? I wonder if some kind of wild varmints( skunks, coons, or rodents) are living in close proximity to you, It is a long shot, especially if you have both cats and dogs in the house.

Last edited by 924x2150; 11-08-2005 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:59 PM
fxrscotty
Junior User
Get your vet to give you some Frontline or advantage Tick and flee treatment. You put it on the dog once a month and it will kill ticks and flees when they bite before they can transmit the lyme desease. Like Mustang said we are getting hammered with deer ticks here in Mass now I picked between 60-70 off my springers this week all deer ticks. About half of my freinds have gotton treated for lyme and I have one dog that tested positive. good luck. Scotty.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:02 PM
pizalm
Senior User
The ticks that carry lyme disease are Deer ticks I think. Ticks will try and find the a warm place to latch on where they likely won't get brushed off. Like in hair or on guys they'll like to go downtown. Get rid of those things as soon as you can though they're a real pain.

This reminds me of a funny story though, I was on hiking trip with a buddy and we walked the same places and spent equal time in front and what not, but that night he must have found 20 or so ticks on him and not one was on me. He was flicking them at me in the tent cause he was so ticked off and he even put some down my sleeping bag. In the morning not one was on me and he found more on him.

Anyways their a pain and probably got on your dog and into the house, get an exterminator.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:12 PM
bdjupiter
Elder User
Deer ticks are the ones that carry lyme disease. They are bad around here too. We were out camping last weekend and I had came into the trailer and sat down for dinner and had something itching on my right arm, I looked down and there was a tick crawling around, of course when I tried to grab it, it fell off and it took me about 30 minutes to find it crawling on the carpet. Oh well at least it didn't latch on to me. It's weird, of all the years I have been hunting, crawling around in the woods and overall being outside I have never had a tick on me even when everyone else around me has had them.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:28 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Deer ticks are the tiny little specs arn't they? The bigger/easy to find ticks are different...

Frontline is what we use on our dogs, works well.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:44 PM
bdjupiter
Elder User
Yep, they are little buggers until they get filled up with your blood, nasty little things.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:38 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I've read the small ticks are the youth stage of the bigger ticks. I caught lyme from a small deer tick. If anyone gets a tick bite I'd advise watching the bite for 30 days for the bullseye ring to appear. If it shows get to a doctor. Lyme is serious stuff.I took 3 months to recover from it.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:03 AM
hawk
Posting Guru
as already stated the small ticks are deer ticks they carry the lyme disease brown dog ticks sometimes called wood ticks are the larger ones.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:54 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Since your dog has not been out in years, I would say the ticks were likely taken into the house on your or more likely rodents, mice or rats. This would be the time for them to search out a warmer abode. If you are leaving dog food in a dish at night, that is a mighty nice treat for a mouse.

What they do is they hid in the walls peeking out of electrical outlets, then once the room is still and the lights go off, they exit the wall. Roaches do the same thing.

Might be time to call a pest killer.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:56 AM
48' fordster
Elder User
I feel your pain i have two dogs and ever morning i go down stairs and the rug has about 16 to 20 ticks a day it is really gross but we jsut use frotline on our dongs(golden retreivers) and it doesn't kill the ticks but prevents them from reproducing on the dog. It works pretty good baut the best thing to do it just to take the ticks of when you see them and let them drown in a bucket or somthing. well good luck with the problem

Old 11-10-2005, 03:50 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Few things in life creep me out more than those parisites!!!

I remember we had a horrible problem in So.Calif. with our Golden....upon research we found out they can be dormant for years before hatching...so the outbreak now could be from eggs that've been in wait!!!

I also SWEAR that our Golden died of lymes even though the Vet said there was no such thing west of the Mississippi at the time...........but ALL the signs and symptoms were there.

God, I hate those things..........another positive for living in the dessert, no fleas or TICKS!!