Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

460 vs 454

Old 12-14-2008, 10:39 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Caleb1
I still think that fords even today are the toughest and least likey to leave me stranded on the side of the road, but imho i think the last two generations of f series are quite ugly and the chevies are what i like stylewise and i cant drive somethin that i dont care for the looks of. maybe ill get a dodge so i aint gotta stoop to the levil of buyin a chevy.
I have nothing against Chebbie. I think they make a good product. I just think they are the ugliest trucks around and like you I can't drive what I think is ugly if I have a choice. I would buy a new Dodge, though. I was looking at one up close the other day. Really looks sweet. The factory dual exhaust with the masszive chrome tips give it a nice flare, too. I'd like a single cab with the Hemi.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Rhett-BuiltFordTough
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 vs. 454

The 460s timing is better than the 454, therefore you can produce more torque and horsepower. The reason you see more chevys at truck pulls and drag races is because of the price for parts. The reason for this is because there are more 454 aftermarket parts than the 460. But stock and stock 460 wins.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Rhett-BuiltFordTough
New User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
I have nothing against Chebbie. I think they make a good product. I just think they are the ugliest trucks around and like you I can't drive what I think is ugly if I have a choice. I would buy a new Dodge, though. I was looking at one up close the other day. Really looks sweet. The factory dual exhaust with the masszive chrome tips give it a nice flare, too. I'd like a single cab with the Hemi.

You like the looks of a Dodge better than the ford. But anyways the new Hemis arent real Hemis. They dont have the heads they used to have that gave it that edge.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Rhett-BuiltFordTough
New User
nice truck 6cyl bill good looking truck

Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Rhett-BuiltFordTough
New User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Because Chebbie is more popular in general. That's all anyone drives. People like Glenn Beck and Rush Lumpburger (ha ha ) just brag up GM. To drive a Chebbie is more of a Fad. All the young people drive them.

I have a real soft spot in my heart for Ford and I'm fericiely proud of my baby so I find this hard to believe, but more people go for GM than Ford. I think it's mainly a fad.

I know one GMC I would buy in a heartbeat if I had the money. Man that truck is sweet. I'm not against any brand, I like them all. I'm just saying.

Chevy and Gmc trucks do not outsell ford look at the numbers ford has been the #1 SELLING TRUCK for 20 years and is still going. And i would pay the extra money to have a 460 any day.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Bullwinkle460
Freshman User
www.highflowdynamics.com/
Go here and look up the advantages of the fords vs chevy bigblock. as far as block vs block gos I think everyone here would be surprised to learn how much better and stronger the ford was actually built. The 460 has just about as much aftermarket as the bbc anymore it all comes down to how much you can afford.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 AM
jimford1
Senior User
Ford outsells CHEVY not all of GM with trucks. When you put the numbers together they sell more. From what I have read. They dont put Chevy and GMC truck sale numbers together. I dont think all together that they sell much more. They are close. Correct me if I am wrong. Its just what I read. Actuallt on here. When they post monthly sale numbers. Oh and I think the new Dodges are sweet looking!! My neighbor has a 08 and he put a K&N filter kit on it and it sounds like he got a new exhaust when he gives it the gas. I am amazed by how much louder it is!! He gets 11 MPG too!!

Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Rhett-BuiltFordTough
New User
Originally Posted by jimford1
Ford outsells CHEVY not all of GM with trucks. When you put the numbers together they sell more. From what I have read. They dont put Chevy and GMC truck sale numbers together. I dont think all together that they sell much more. They are close. Correct me if I am wrong. Its just what I read. Actuallt on here. When they post monthly sale numbers. Oh and I think the new Dodges are sweet looking!! My neighbor has a 08 and he put a K&N filter kit on it and it sounds like he got a new exhaust when he gives it the gas. I am amazed by how much louder it is!! He gets 11 MPG too!!
Look up sales for Ford in December. Ford Sold 44,000 trucks Chevy sold 33,000 and gmc sold about 25000 either way Ford is the number 1 selling truck and no offense im not really a dodge fan.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Rhett-BuiltFordTough
New User
And yes if you put chevy and gmc they would outsell ford but thats two different trucks. 2 vs. 1 in that case.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is the thing though, The GMC And Chevy Sierra/Silverado are the exact same truck.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:39 PM
jimford1
Senior User
Thats the point I was trying to make Lead Head! Thanks!! No big deal.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rhett-BuiltFordTough
The 460s timing is better than the 454, therefore you can produce more torque and horsepower. The reason you see more chevys at truck pulls and drag races is because of the price for parts. The reason for this is because there are more 454 aftermarket parts than the 460. But stock and stock 460 wins.
And a person cant adjust timing?

The MkIV and Gen6 blocks (MkV never existed since ford trademarked the MK5 for the lincoln) were designed from the factory for racing and performance thingies.

The '385' engine series (of which the 460 was a part) was designed for trucks and big hulking cars, but a few performance versions in extremely limited numbers were introduced.

When one looks at the two engines, a few things become apparent:

the 460 makes a better stationary, industrial or marine engine due to the fact that it discourages high revving rpms.

the chevy, due to its chamber shape and size, as well as the very splayed valve arrangement, breathes tremendously at high rpms.

this is not to say you could not ramp up a 385 engine - its just that a MK4+ does it better and easier.

add in the dearth of performance parts and factory support and the 502/572 followons. not to mention the DRCE program GM had for decades.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:35 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rhett-BuiltFordTough
Chevy and Gmc trucks do not outsell ford look at the numbers ford has been the #1 SELLING TRUCK for 20 years and is still going. And i would pay the extra money to have a 460 any day.
Individually, ford F series outsells chevy c/k by <10% generally. But add in the identical, built in the same factory on the same line GMCs, and there is no comparison.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Rhett-BuiltFordTough
New User
Originally Posted by quaddriver
Individually, ford F series outsells chevy c/k by <10% generally. But add in the identical, built in the same factory on the same line GMCs, and there is no comparison.

Thats the thing though they cant put those together because they are not the same name sure their GM but GMC and Chevy are different trucks name wise. But truckwise they have same engines,tranmissions, and basically the same body.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Rhett-BuiltFordTough
New User
Originally Posted by quaddriver
And a person cant adjust timing?

The MkIV and Gen6 blocks (MkV never existed since ford trademarked the MK5 for the lincoln) were designed from the factory for racing and performance thingies.

The '385' engine series (of which the 460 was a part) was designed for trucks and big hulking cars, but a few performance versions in extremely limited numbers were introduced.

When one looks at the two engines, a few things become apparent:

the 460 makes a better stationary, industrial or marine engine due to the fact that it discourages high revving rpms.

the chevy, due to its chamber shape and size, as well as the very splayed valve arrangement, breathes tremendously at high rpms.

this is not to say you could not ramp up a 385 engine - its just that a MK4+ does it better and easier.

add in the dearth of performance parts and factory support and the 502/572 followons. not to mention the DRCE program GM had for decades.

Well yes you can adjust timing its a little tricky but stock for stock 460 has better timing, and i agree 460 is a commerical truck due to the amount of weight it can pull. I have a 1976 2wd with a 460 and it amazing sure i cant pull a mountain but my neighbors chevy cant match it in torque and its a 454. But 454 are good motors and i have nothing against them.

1976 F-150 Ranger 460 Automatic

Its in great condition besides about half an inch of rust on the fender wells.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 460 vs 454