remove and replace a 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 10:27 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remove and replace a 4.6?

I am looking for a photo essay from someone that has pulled a 4.6 and replaced it with another of the same. There is no joy. I have found nothing.

Do you guys have a link to step-by-step instructions for R&R of a mid '90s 4.6?

I would be most grateful. If it were a mid '60s something, I wouldn't have this problem. These engines have changed a bit..

Old 11-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is how we do it at the dealership. This probably won't help you much though
http://flatratetech.com/images/nav_how_to.htm
Do you have a shop manual? I'm not sure what Chiltons or Haynes shows but the genuine Ford manual has step by step instructions.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:50 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
the swap is not very hard just some more wires to deal with compared to the 60's engines. underneath it all it is still a very easy engine to remove and work on.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:39 AM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Thanks for the responses. I am planning on getting a factory manual before tearing into the project. I wish I had a hoist to lift off the body. Oh, well. Maybe in my next life.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:40 PM
infinatenexus
New User
I just did one a few months ago, its a pain in the ***.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:53 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
It has always a pain in the ***, even back in the '60s. That is why so many people buy new cars. In the old days there was at least some room to work.

So, what was it about your engine R&R that made it "interesting"? Do you have any lessons learned to share? This will be my first with such an elaborate wiring harness (doesn't even have a distributor). What am I stepping up to?

Old 11-14-2005, 05:41 PM
infinatenexus
New User
Well, I had to remove the intake manifold to get to the upper bell housing bolts.

You need to completly remove the moter mount pads from the motor, not just the one big bolt.

Make sure to push the wiring harnedd back along the fire wall when you put the motor back it, or at lease before you put the intake back on.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:45 PM
murraydav
Senior User
Did you find a guide?????

I too desperatly want to read about the engine removal. My son and I are about 1/2 way through. I KNOW we're making mistakes. I have heard about some kind of tool that is supposed to be mounted in the intake valley which is used to attach lifting points. Ok whats the tool? Where do I get one. I would hate to lift a 500 lb block and break a casting point. I want to do this the right way. We have the engine puller hoist set to go. Please let me look at a picture or 2. The Haynes manual we bought has helped some but is no repalcement for a hands on photo guide. By the way the posted link GNDN (goes nowhere does nothing) It is a dead link. But I did find a super fantastic photo guide on removing the cab from a F150 at that site.
cannot search anything when I use the term "4.6" It is not a recognized word!!!!!!!