1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Injector Orings/Injector cups?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 02:16 AM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Injector Orings/Injector cups?

My friend has an early PSD he calls it a 94, old elctronics? He has black fuel in filter housing, my opinion is the injector orings. Yes I have worked on them before but its been over 5yrs since I worked at the Ford dealer and the cobwebs are starting to form. He had somebody install 3 used injectors about a year ago with no problems. My main question is about injector cups, would they allow compression up to the orings and damage the Orings. He wants my help but I am cautious about doing the Orings without changing the copper/brass cups. Basically don't want to do the job twice! Anyone have an input on this problem.
He's actually considering putting a 6.9 or 7.3NA in its place if this doesn't work. I'm a liscenced truck/coach Tech but haven't done much on the PSD
Thanks in advance for input!

Old 11-04-2005, 06:27 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes i have done o-rings on all 8 on a number of trucks without replacing the cups. if you are concerned get the cups then do a visual inspection before putting the injectors back in then return the ones you don't need. i don't think compression getting to the o-ring is why they go bad. the compression would have to get past the copper sealing washer at the nozzle of the injector. heat is the biggest factor for the o-rings.

and tell your friend that putting a 6.9 or 7.3na in there would be a big mistake!!!

Old 11-04-2005, 04:46 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
if you had a bad cup you would be getting oil in the cooling system due to theres coolant on the other side of the cups. the copper washer at the bottom of the injector is the one that keeps the compression out. the injector orings wear out over time. i bet if you just replace the orings you should be good to go.

Old 11-04-2005, 05:55 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
And the middle o-ring on the injector is what's letting oil into the fuel system.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:14 PM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
Thanks for your input guys. I hope the copperwashers come with the seal kit that my buddy got. I have done everything I can to discourage him from pulling the powerstroke. He is mechanical but not a mechanic. The truck is a 94 F350 4x4 w/ZF 5spd shortened down to a shortbed, in my opinion it's a very heavy truck for the 6.9 or old 7.3 downgrade but it is his money. If he does decide to pull the PSD, I might like to buy it up and use it myself in my 72 Crewcab.
People that don't understand their own vehicle can be very intimidated by major repairs.
Saturday morning I'll either be pulling it or fixing it. Any more input is great.

Old 11-04-2005, 07:30 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
I would imagine it'll all come back to you quite quickly. It's just silly to even consider an engine change for something as trivial as injector o-rings. Even if it doesn't go as smooth as you remember you're still only talking about a half days labor and $64 worth of rubber.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:21 AM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
The Oring kits were actually 22.35 for one injector kit which only does 1 injector.(Canadian funds +7% GST+8% PST)
I was surprized at how much my friend was paying for them so I checked for myself, and the cheapest source was the local Ford dealer. That was trade price and all3 Ford dealers within 25 miles were the same price, but only one had enough in stock to redo the engine. I think he will keep the powerstroke in it. I let him drive my 86 VW Golf diesel without turbo and almost 500,000 km , and I told him that is what his truck will run like with a 6.9 ! I didn't get at the orings today, my wife broke her thumb last nite and I had to drive her to the inlaws place 2hrs one way. Sunday will be a 12 noon start on it. When I called my buddies place this morning and told his wife I couldn't make it today I thought she was going to cry, she knows he'd be in over his head without my help.
cookie: I think you're right about coming back to me, like riding a bike. I've been working at a Hino truck dealer for about 2.5 years now and the only reason the injectors come out on them is if we are doing an INFRAME.
I bought a new 96 F250 SC shortbed 4x4 w/PST 5spd. Loved it so much I wouldn't drive it in the winter,sold it 3yrs later for a bigger downpayment on a house.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:07 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Well, even at $178.80 in parts it's a lot less expensive than an engine change would cost him.

Even with your buddy keeping his I'd love to see a PSD in your 72. I think a mechanical 7.3 would be a much easier swap....but that PSD would just rock.

Sorry to hear about your wife's thumb. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:23 PM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
Thumbs up Found problem and repaired!

An update on the Oring job:
we pulled both rocker covers and 1 injector was still original to engine at left front. That one was pulled first, center oring was obviously burnt almost through, and copper washer looked not to be sealing because everything below 1st oring was heavily coated in carbon/soot. On closer, cleaning and inspection, the brass cup was filled with black crud below the 1st oring. Also found the inside injector bolt was loose. I am thinking this is what caused the seal failure, allowing combustion "heat" up to the orings.
Anyway we got a used injector because we saw some damage to the 1st oring groove, l think someone clamped it in a vise at one time.
found 2 bad glow plug on the Right bank, and nobody had them in stock on a Sunday, so my buddy has to drive his offroader to work tomorrow. It's a 74 F250 4x4 lifted on 44" boggers, even has custom rear Dana 50 steer axle.
Thanks a bunch for the input. This site is a great resource even for liscenced techs. If you think you already know everything you're an Idiot. There is always more to learn!!!!

Old 11-06-2005, 07:12 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Use the Beru/Motorcraft, or Bosch glow plugs. Stay away from the Champion plugs, they're crap.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:23 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
the autolite ones stink too!!

good to hear thats what it is