1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

WOW, gotta love that 5 inch

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 08:28 PM
FarmboyAC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking WOW, gotta love that 5 inch

Thats about all i can say. I went from the stock size just straight piped to a 5 right after the d/p to infront of the rear tire. Chose to put it out there since i built it myself and that was alot easier. Man did the tone change. Sounds alot deeper and i can here it much better through the passenger window, not to mention the cool factor of having a 5 inch pipe sticking out from under the bed right infront of the tire lol. Sorry for the long post but i thought i would share my excitement with you all. Derek

Old 11-03-2005, 07:36 AM
1997F-350
Postmaster
i am in the process of building mine too. i am going over the axle though. i am excited. cant wait to let er rip with it on there.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 845 Likes on 642 Posts
I'm with you there! There is no replacement for displacement.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:21 PM
shendoa
Senior User
down pipe

Originally Posted by 1997F-350
i am in the process of building mine too. i am going over the axle though. i am excited. cant wait to let er rip with it on there.
what sise down pipe are you using?

Old 11-03-2005, 07:15 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I'm with you there! There is no replacement for displacement.

or, in your case, cross-sectional area.

i just did the math- the cross-section of a 3.5'' pipe is 9.61sq.in, while the cross-section of a 5'' pipe is 19.63sp.in. crazy!

Old 11-03-2005, 09:01 PM
FarmboyAC
Senior User
I also have a 3 inch downpipe so i'm good there since thats all that will fit half way easy lol. I hooked her to the trailer today with 18 round bales on it and man did she make some noise wound out in 3rd gear. Also my egt's are down which is the reason i really wanted to try to to begin with. I did it this way cause it was free before i go and spend the money for a complete system. It fullfilling to know i built it too if you know what i mean. Gotta love that PSD!!!!!

Old 11-03-2005, 09:01 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
do i get extra points for having double the cross-sectional area with two 5'' Stacks? mwahahahah....can i add some "cool" points on that too?

Farmboy, if i hadn't done my stacks, it woulda been the same setup as yours. i had my stock-size pipe runnign out that way. looked pretty nasty with the silver paint on the pipe and all.....but then i got all caught up with stacks...you know.....pretty hard to pass them up

Hey, Stokin, feel free to do the math on two 5''pipes that are about 23 inches long, plus another 6' of 4''. i would give it a try, but i finished Hydraulics math last week at Fire School. still don't wanna see any math for a while. i've had enough of Gallons per minute and Friction Loss per section of hose.... BLEGH! that my friends is why i wanna be a truckie...but thats besides the point. ya'll have a good evenin.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:34 AM
94 1/2 stroker
Senior User
Originally Posted by FarmboyAC
I also have a 3 inch downpipe so i'm good there since thats all that will fit half way easy lol. I hooked her to the trailer today with 18 round bales on it and man did she make some noise wound out in 3rd gear. Also my egt's are down which is the reason i really wanted to try to to begin with. I did it this way cause it was free before i go and spend the money for a complete system. It fullfilling to know i built it too if you know what i mean. Gotta love that PSD!!!!!
FarmboyAc, how much did the 5 inch lower your egt's? I am running a 3" down pipe to 3 1/2" cat delete on back to where the muffler was then turned it down to the ground. Soon I'll have 5" stacks and was curious of how much it will drop egt's.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:05 AM
FarmboyAC
Senior User
I'm not real sure on the egt's quite yet as i havent had a chance to cruise 10-20 miles down the road with a load but unloaded i think they have went down at least 50-100 degree's. I'm hoping that with a load they will go down around 150-200 but i'm not quite sure about that yet. I'll find out next week on the way to the National Livestock Exposition in Louisville, Kentucky hauling the cattle trailer. Hope to report back then.