Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duals Idea

Old 10-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Bob_Smith
Senior User
Bob_Smith is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Duals Idea

Hey all, I have a quick question for you guys. Anyway, I'm getting tired of the setup I have on my 92 Ford Bronco with a 351W, now (true duals, exiting before each rear tire), no cats no mufflers, and I was thinking about re-doing it. Now, I've read a thousand times on here that duals out the back on a Bronco is a no-no, as the fumes can get into the cab big time, but what I havn't seen is whether or not, if you put the exit of the pipe a few inches away from the back bumper if it would make a difference. Now this isn't my daily driver, just something to run in the winter and during the summer to mud in. I was also wondering if I had the duals out the back, if I had the top off, if the fumes would still be bad? Usually as soon as nice weather hits, I don't start putting the back window down, I just loose the top (Not that way, you perverts ).
I was thinking about doing the exhaust either out the corners (which I've had before, I had the exhaust exit on both sides, with each pipe right at the corners at the rear, and never had any problems with fumes. Thats what made me wonder if I made the exhaust exit 5-6 inches behind the rear bumper (which wouldn't look as goofy on my rig as you might think, because of the bumper I'm running, I could run it up between the bumper and the tailgate and have it come back a few inches and still look really good) if I would be alright? It was either out the back or out the corners agian, and I've never ran duals out the back on anything I've owned before, and I figured I might give it a shot on my old beater. Any advice you guys would give my would be great, thanks for the help!

Last edited by Bob_Smith; 10-27-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:36 PM
fastpat
Freshman User
fastpat is starting off with a positive reputation.
There's no one great place to have the exhaust exit on a car or a truck.

Having the exahust's exit several inches past the bumpers on a truck that's off-roaded is not a good idea, though, because it reduced the departure angle on the back of the truck, in short, the pipes would quickly get crushed shut during serious trailing.

The best exit, even for duals, is just about where the factory single exhaust pipe dumped, that location is the most protected while at the same time, reduces noxious fumes into the truck, which are the most dangerous during winter time when you have the windows closed and fresh air entry into your truck is at it's lowest. Most deaths related to carbon monoxide inhalation in a automobile happen during winter.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Bob_Smith
Senior User
Well, I have a dual stacked pipe bumper on the rear, and it sits down pretty low, the pipes would actually be very safe above the bumper. My Bronco used to have high-rail gear on it (which if you don't know, if the stuff they use to drive on railroad tracks with). So the mounting brackets for the bumpers are kind of low to begin with, and anything going for my pipes would have to chew through a double stacked pipe bumper to get to them, so damage is surely not an issue. And I know fumes are worst in the winter, but I always have both front windows cracked about an inch, to and inch and a half. My Bronco is my drive to work rig on a logging job, and all of us smoke, so the windows stay cracked anyway. Not trying to argue with you or anything, just thought I would state that there is always alittle bit of fresh air coming in, even thought the danger is always there, I was just wondering how bad it would be. I just hadn't had the problems that most have experienced with either my 90 degree exits or the 45 degree exits I had on mine. Thanks alot for the reply though!

Last edited by Bob_Smith; 10-27-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:31 AM
fastpat
Freshman User
This is not a lecture about smoking, but here's the deal.

AS a smoker, you're already partially saturated with carbon monoxide. CO has a 240 times stronger afinity for that part of the red blood cells that carries oxygen molecules around your body, while the CO is attached, O2 can't attach itself, so in effect at sea level you're already operating as if you're between 5000 feet and 8000 feet above sea level as far as actual oxygen content of your red cells. That means from about 1/3 to 1/2 of your red cells are occupied in doing useless work.

Bear with me, I'm getting to the point.

It's my recommendation you do nothing that has the slightest chance in raising the ambient CO level in the vicinity of where you're sitting, even a little bit because the effects of CO aren't just death; it affects the rest of you quite a lot because your tissues aren't getting the constant bath in oxygen rich blood that they need to be really healthy, and if you were to break a bone, particularly your leg or wrist; healing would take a long time to occur, if ever. Same thing with anything more than a shallow cut, which I'd guess is a routine risk in your profession.

So, keep the above in mind; and make your choice. Good health and good luck.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
you will lose all low end power by doing what your planning. if you want performance out of that motor. install some shortie headers, get a new Y pipe made mandral bent and go 3" exhaust with a flowmaster or magnaflow running out the stock location. trust me your going the wrong direction with this exhaust setup

Old 10-28-2005, 01:37 PM
elmotho
Freshman User
elmotho is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been reading the exhaust posts over the last year hoping to do a custom set-up, just haven't had the $$$. A few weeks ago my stainless OEM exhaust pretty much fell off just after the second cat. My mechanic does a lot of custom exhaust work and kept talkin duals, duals, duals. They look cool, sound cool, but I followed the advice and suggestions, mainly from Kemicalburns, from this board. I went with the Bassani stainless y-pipe w/ cat (I'm in MA) into a magnaflow 14" X 7" round XL 3-chamber muffler, all 3" pipe out the stock location. I can't believe the difference in performance. It's simple, clean, and I can't think that going with duals would have been any better performance wise. It's LOUD too. Nice deep growl at idle. When you get on it good Gawd! Not tastefully subdued like many say about magnaflow. No drone at highway speeds. I hear a lot of flowmasters out here and my note really stands out.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
right on elmotho. glad to hear your happy with the setup. im gonna go with the bassini offroad Y pipe on mine once funds come in.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:15 PM
fastpat
Freshman User
Come on guys, out with the part numbers or a URL where I can look at this Bassani part.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
I will see if i can locate the site that sells it for the cheapest. figure about 261 for the offroad (no cats) Y pipe and 350 for the cat version

Old 10-28-2005, 06:33 PM
bossind
Elder User
bossind is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
you will lose all low end power by doing what your planning. if you want performance out of that motor. install some shortie headers, get a new Y pipe made mandral bent and go 3" exhaust with a flowmaster or magnaflow running out the stock location. trust me your going the wrong direction with this exhaust setup
I agree dual exhaust is over rated on the bronco and i really don't like how its snaked through to the drivers side. Seems to me people are more interested in the look of it than the performance. At the very least if you have to stay with duals have them both exit in the stock location. This would lend its self to a much cleaner setup, and i think that looks more pro than the the snake of pipes. Or go with the 3" pipe and be done with it, that is if your interested in performance than looks.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Bob_Smith
Senior User
Actually, even with my duals now, I still have plenty of low-end. I'm only running 2 inch pipe on each side. It's got plenty of power. I also like the way true duals with 2 inch pipe sound. I've had true duals with 2.25inch, and 2.5inch pipes, and I've also had a single 3inch system on my Bronco (which came on it when I got it, the guy I got it off of had the single 3inch pipe with no cats and a dynomax bullet on it), and I absolutely hated the sound and wasn't really impressed with the power it had with any of those setups. In my opinion, (take it as you will) I think the true duals with 2 inch pipe runs better and sounds a thousand times better with this motor than any of those previous setups (agian my opinion, take it as you will).

And now you may say it was the crappy job done by whoever installed the 3 inch that caused the lack of power, the guy that had it before me had access to a mandrel bend machine, and used it to make the exhaust. And I know the guy, and he's been working on vehicles for 20+ years, and knows his stuff. Anyway, not to be hateful or anything, but still no one has given any thought to the idea of whether or not the pipes coming out a few inches behind the tailgate would make a difference or not. Agian, thanks for all the replies guys!

Old 10-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Chrisconsin
Junior User
Chrisconsin is starting off with a positive reputation.
hey, Kemicalburn

what headers do you personally recommend for better sound & power, shorties or not.

351W

thanks
chris

Old 10-28-2005, 11:35 PM
JetBlackBronco
Senior User
JetBlackBronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
i was thinking of the next truck/bronco i get, i want to put true duals, but its hard as hell to get around the transfer case. i thought of having custom pipes made to go around the tranny in the stock place, but have two pipes. and then have the pipe from the right bank cross over top of the drive shaft. and the pipe from the left bank would be in the stock location. then put dual mufflers, one on each side of the driveshaft. then pipes over the axle, and out behind the rear wheels on each side. making them cross over would make the pipes relatively the same length.

now i just have to figue out how to pass inspection, here in ny, on a 95 or older vehicle, there is only a visual inspection of the cats....but if the aint there...i wont pass

Old 10-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Bob_Smith
Senior User
Try going around to local exhaust shops (try the smaller family owned, not the bigger ones like Mineke or such, they might not be as friendly). Most of the time, if you ask nicely, (atleast around here anyway) shops will GIVE you old catalytic converters that are sitting outside that they have cut off of vehicles to replace with new ones, just to get rid of them. Thats what I did. I drove to the 2 closest shops near me, and each of them happened to have a converter with a 2inch inlet/outlet that they gave me just to get rid of them. I then proceded to gut them out, so I could pass visual inspection. All the inspection shops around here just say that they "don't have x-ray vision" . As long as it's there it doesn't matter if anything is inside it or not. And if you get know the garage owner good enough, most don't care either way. Thats why my 92 Bronco has cats, but my 99 chevy (yes, I know, EVIL!) doesn't. Between those 2 vehicles, I've made some friends at my local inspection station.

Last edited by Bob_Smith; 10-28-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Netfly
Elder User
Netfly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Netfly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had my 85 Bronco 351w fit with full 2 1/2" dual pipes and dual mufflers. Then added dual resonators, cause it was so loud without them. Drivers side pipe passes xfer case on passenger side then shifts back to left. Slant cut pipes exit in the stock location, one each side. Bent a down slope to exit pipes, enough to drain. Had it all custom bent with all joints clamped and welded. Turned the clamps sideways so they don't drag anything. Local Mineke supplied the custom pipes & labor for $300. I ordered the stainless mufflers via the net. I'm very happy with the result. The resonators give the overly loud stainless mufflers a nice growl now. Good luck with yours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Duals Idea

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.