1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

95 ranger dash lights out

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:47 AM
greenacrescanoe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 ranger dash lights out

my 95 ranger's entire dash lights are out, i checked spark plugs, but where do i go from there, im a novice when it comes to elictrical work

Old 10-24-2005, 01:39 PM
pawpaw
Received 74 Likes on 72 Posts
Well I'd begin by checking the dimmer modules thumb wheel, on the dash & make sure it's not set to turn the instrument lights all the way down.

If thats not the problem, then referring to your owners manual, for the instrument panel fuse location, ( My repair manual says 95-on, it's I/P fuse position 7 & it's a 7.5 amp fuse), I'd find & check that fuse.

If that LOOKS ok, then you'll need to check to see if power is reaching the dimmer module.

So to do that, you might try turning the dome light on, with the thumb wheel dimmer switch.

If it comes on, you have power TO the dimmer through the fuse, and it says the fuse is able to handle some load.

If it doesn't come on, then check on BOTH sides of the fuse for power, with a voltmeter or low wattage test light, to a good ground.

If there is NO power coming into the fuse, then you'll have to backup to pin 3 on the main light switch.

If you have power there, with your volt meter or low wattage test light, then look to a problem with the interconnecting wire to the fuse block. BR, (without antitheft), W/BK (with antitheft)

If the instrument lights aren't on by then, you'll need to check for power to the instrument lghts on the output side of the dimmer module at pin 5, R/BK wire, with a voltmeter or low wattage test light.

If you don't have power there, with the dimmer turned up to full brightness, then I'd suspect the dimmer module's internal solid state device.

If you do have power there, then move on to the instrument panel clusters electrical connector & check the same R/BK wire for power with your voltmeter or test light.

If you don't have power to the instruments, then you have an open circuit, between the output of the dimmer module's pin 5 & the gauge clusters electrical connector.

In between there is splice #208, it also feeds power to things like the AC- Heater fan control assy lights, speed control switch assy lights, 4wd mode switch, light & fog light switch, light, so if you have any of those things, are any of their instrument lights working?????

If so, then your open circuit is between the instrument panel electrical connctor & splice 208!!!! And danged if I know just where it's located!!!! Guess you could follow the R/BK wire back to find the splice.

If you DON'T have power to any of those other lights, then the open circuit ls between splice 208 & the pin 5 connection on the dimmer module.

Hopefully it's just the dimmer turned ALL the way down, or a blown fuse!!!!

Let us know what you find!!!!