Sponsored by:

HELLLPPPPPPPPP....broke one rear wheel stud off

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 01:27 PM
JetBlackBronco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELLLPPPPPPPPP....broke one rear wheel stud off

ok...so i decided to change my rear parking brake cable, and check out my rear brakes. i did one side without any problems. i got to the passenger side, and well 4 lugs came of just fine, the 5th....well....i guess im stronger than i thought i was, cuz it broke right off.......

fyi..its a 1991 bronco, and only one stud broke off, on the rear passenger side.

HELPPPPPP

Old 10-21-2005, 02:55 PM
gov2mod
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's easy to fix. Take off the brake drum. Take a large hammer, like a 2 pounder and strike the broken lug hard and it will pop right out (to the inside) Buy a new lug and slip it in from the inside. Put several large washers or other spacers on it and tighten a lug nut against it to draw it thru the axle. I would put the lug nut on backwards so the flat side is against the washers. Crank it tight but not so much that you wring it off (again!). After you install the wheel and drive it awhile it wouldn't hurt to check it for tightness every so often until you are sure it's seated fully into the axle.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:40 AM
fastpat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also lightly coat lug studs with Permatex Antiseize to prevent studs and nuts becoming too intimate.