Sponsored by:

Its been asked before...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 12:53 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Its been asked before...

Perhaps there is a better forum here at FTE to post this but I hang out here and so this is where my experience with the forums comes from. To the point...

FTE, as we all know, is a very powerful source of information exchange. It works pretty darned well too! I mean, if it didn't, the members list wouldn't stretch on for days and the number of posts, threads, tech articles, etc. would not swell into the hundreds of thousands. We all utilize this resource and are pleased (as far as the numbers would lead one to believe) with what we can learn here just by reading or asking our own questions and reading the answers.

I do however, marvel at times at the apparent misunderstanding about certain aspects of the site designed to make the search for information even simpler. I am referring to such obvious things as threads listed as Read First and the Search function. I know its human nature to resist doing what is suggested (kids/people will do exactly what you tell 'em NOT to). So, the idea of HAVING to read something BEFORE one gets to ask THEIR most important question is often frustrating or even downright contradictory to one's own mindset. Taking a moment to "read first" or "search" may well get you the answer you were looking for without having to wait for someone to post an answer! Chances are, the question has been asked before. I realize that everyone has a different way of asking and that there are some things you want opinions on rather than a "pat" answer. Makes perfect sense and I don't begrudge anyone that. I am merely suggesting that we all take a moment to Read First and/or Search before assuming that there couldn't possibly be an answer to "MY" question because "I" haven't asked it yet. What I am writing right now is actually another reiteration that may or may not need posting but I just think that the Administrators, Forum Moderators, et al pour so much time and effort into making sure the information is as accessible as possible, we as the users could do them a big favor by actually utilizing ALL of the tools they have provided us in our information-gathering quest. Its will save us time and relieve the site of cumbersome bandwidth which causes glitches, slow-downs etc.

This site is FREE to anyone seeking the information within. So ask yourself what you would have to PAY to get it if this site didn't exist. (Yeah, I know sounds like PBS during pledge drive) Think about the cost of running, debugging, troubleshooting, virus protecting, and just keeping everything running as smoothly as it does on a regular basis (I wish my business email account was as reliable as this site). And its all done by people just like us who really just love there ol' Ford truck. As users I personally think we owe it to these folks to do our part (since it costs us nothing else) to make a consciencious effort to Read First and/or Search. I say this as a user and supporter. I have no stake in the site. I have no affiliation with anyone connected to or sponsoring the site. I'm just another Ford Truck Enthusiast.

Just take a moment to think about it folks. Thanks

Joe

PS To all who have posted repeat questions, this is not a personal afront to you nor is it a chiding. I am merely presenting an idea for consdieration... from one user to all of the other users.

Last edited by greystreak92; 10-21-2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:53 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There have been scientific studies on this very subject. It seems the matrix of the red text, and the exact length, width, height and composition of the letters "Read First" are rendered INVISIBLE to online users. Its a natural phenomenon that we have just come to deal with. I hear MIT is close to finding a way around this phenomena.....

Old 10-21-2005, 06:57 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amen! I remember when I joined I kept reading replies that mentioned doing a search. When I finally found the "search" button I go to it first now. I usually do a multiple search at once by holding down "Ctrl" then click on both Bronco and F-150 and the FTE system returns both in one list. If anyone is hunting the "Search" button it is in the menu at the top under "Forums."

Old 10-21-2005, 10:52 AM
McLeod
Cargo Master
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
I agree.
The only problem is most questions are repeated questions.
You might go days between posts if everyone figured it out under thier own power.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Fishallot
Senior User
I also agree with you. When I first found this site I spent months doing searches and reading past threads before I ever asked my first question. Many times I found the exact question I was thinking had already been asked. When I saw your name in the reply I knew I was going to get a good answer.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:55 PM
ALSAIR
Elder User
Heres the way I look at it. The people on this site are incredible and very knowlegable. However, just about every question about our trucks has already been asked in oneway, shape, or form. So if everybody finds there answer in the search function then there will be no new post's! Believe it or not, with the new people coming onto this site, they add new information to those questions already asked. Let's not get panicky, I am not talking about the post's like " WHAT IS THE BIGGEST TIRE I CAN FIT ON MY STOCK TRUCK" or "302 SWAP to 351" but more along the lines of the more techinical I.E. wiring, transmission is, etc, etc. Besides if no one post's any more questions, how am I suppose to get to a 1,000 post's Huh????
Al

Old 10-21-2005, 06:20 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Taken from another forum