Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

losing my mind!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:25 PM
pj1268
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
much appreciated, fish....don't fret, though....i have lots of information thanks to you guys on this forum...when i find the problem, and resolve it, i know i have you guys to thank...and i'll be sure to let all know what the problem was, for sure!...stay tuned

Old 10-19-2005, 12:56 PM
pj1268
New User
Originally Posted by Grogtronics
Have you gotten any codes out of the comp? if you get absolutly nothing I would be looking at the computer as being belly up.
hey Grogtronics....i'm not getting any codes, whatsoever...not even an engine size identification....i think you might be right....computer might be bad...where is it located, actually...or am i just dumb blind?

Old 10-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
computer is located behind driver side kick panel.

call napa for replacement

Old 10-19-2005, 02:36 PM
pj1268
New User
...ok, got it out....connections all look good...but on the top side, it looks like it had water sitting on it..it's all rusted and oxidized in one particular spot...and now that I think of it...we had a ton of wind and rain up here in new england (massachusetts) last week...lasted for ten days straight, the following morning after it let up, that's when i lost my horn and O/D light was flashing....curioius though, would the truck still run even though the computer might be bad? ....and would the scanner I have (actron 9015- 30.00) pull a code registering from the O/D light flashing...i mean, regardless, the scanner should still be able to identify my engine size according to the "test" run on the scanner, at least....but i'm getting nothing....oh, and I replaced all those sensors (i think i mentioned this)...MLPS, TPS, VSS....and clockspring is fine....took it off last night and checked it out....local autozone can get me an A-1 Cardone in by this friday (100.00 bucks with core )....NAPA says there's would be A-1 Cardone, also....seems like A-1 is the primary reman company out there...it's either them, or Ford's at 250.00 bucks....so, i don't know....you guys' thoughts?

Old 10-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
you might try the paperclip trick from www.fordfuelinjection.com to pull codes. but from what you say the ecu could be bad and still run somewhat

Old 10-22-2005, 08:47 AM
pj1268
New User
update:

ok, here's where I'm at...

computer IS indeed fine ( i just didn't have the single spade connected to the scanner next to the EEC IV plug)...so, it ran the diagnostics, and no codes...everything's fine....so, i test the horn at the battery...removed it and ran direct power and ground...horn works fine....must be shorting out, somewhere....fuses are all good, and relays are all good....i'm going to disassemble the steering wheel, again...and give the clockspring a closer inspection...although, a friend of mine told me i may not be able to tell because of the "wind" inside...says it could be shorting out, anywhere....
....so to all who don't know, my horn stopped working and my O/D light began flashing after the tranny slams into second....i've replaced TPS, VSS, MLPS...checked all fuses and relays....checked computer....scanned computer...and nothing! ....i'm leaning towards the clockspring....any suggestions guys?

Old 10-22-2005, 02:38 PM
pj1268
New User
narrowing in, i think....after reading hundreds of posts surrounding horn and O/D light flashing, i came across this from CityBronco:

"My exact problem! The servo can possibly shorten out anything else that is connected to that wire harness under the hood near the cruise control servo. On my bronco, my horn stopped working and my Overdrive button on my shifter started flashing causing my bronco to shift hard thru gears...it was a nightmare...i was relieved when i got it fixed...."

pretty good, eh fellas? ....i'm going to get into this tonight when i get home...i'll let you all know what happens

Old 10-22-2005, 06:36 PM
pj1268
New User
ok, got out of work over an hour ago and have been under the hood....i inspected the wiring and the plug going into the serve...the insulation surrounding 2 wires right at the end of the plug were dried and had split, exposing one of the wires...there was a bit of rust and some corrosion all over the wires....so I unplug the connection to the servo and i couldn't believe what i saw....1 wire remained connected thru the plug to the serve and one corner of the plug that plugs into the serve was completely rotted away...it looked as if acid had got to it...it was literally just corroded away....area was all black and rusty...this has to be the problem...i'm going to hit a few junk yards tomorrow to get a wiring harness and servo....if not, it's the dealer...but i'm looking at over 300.00 for the servo and wiring....yikes!....i'll update later!

Old 10-23-2005, 03:19 PM
pj1268
New User
problem solved!

...after leaving the plug disconnected from the servo unit, the truck ran fine...no O/D light flashing, and truck ran smoother than ever...considering I changed the MLPS (which might have been out of adjustment) the VSS (which was dented at the tip and had a bit of scrapings on it) and the TPS which was just icky, the truck runs great!....very smooth shifts!...horn still isn't working, but now i know why....thanks for all the help guys!

paul