Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 F150 front tank problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Roushians
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol itisedt.

I have got pretty used to dealing with it, and as long as the pumps keep pumping i'm happy.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:51 PM
slackwolf
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just registered here and after finally reading through this, it explains a lot of things. lol there for a while I thought I was going crazy that my front tank would magically have more gas in it than before.

Like everyone else I have the dual tanks ('96 F150 w/ 302), I generally switch from the front tank to the rear when my front is about 1/4. Then running on back which I've always noticed it disappear quicker, then flip back to front and see that I have a 1/2 tank. In past the truck was shared amongst me and someone else so I didn't think too much about it, just figured they were putting a little gas in the front tank after using the truck for something.

There have been a few times where I thought I was going nuts when I could swear I switched dead on 1/4th and when I switch back I've got a notch over 1/2 tank. Also thought my truck was going downhill in a hurry since I drained the rear tank in like 140miles and normally I get atleast 200-240 miles running front tank with rear being empty in a city/highway mix.

So, bad checkvalve in front fuel pump? ugh.....

Old 10-28-2005, 05:54 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Slackwold, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:34 AM
PhilcoPGM
Senior User
Originally Posted by Popa Tim
Your are right on the money! Thats exactly whats happening, unfortunately it sounds like your front pump died. Thats what needed to be replaced to fix the problem though, it has a bad checkvalve (built in) so you'll need to replace the FDM Fuel delivery module to fix it. FDM = Fuel pump.

I just had a thought, Go to the dealer and see if there is a recall on this. I think they started one for 96 and up, but you may be over on the mileage it cuts off at about 150k I think.

G'luck
Tim
Hey Popa Tim,

I'm not really totally familiar with the way Ford resolved all the recall repairs on the fuel switching problems. When Ford does the work for me, I tend to loose real insight as to each and every step and every part that gets replaced, unlike if I do the work myself;them I'm most familiar. But, what I thought the problem was and how Ford "fixed" the problem was to replace an electronic switch on each of the fuel pumps rather than replace the entire fuel pump. In fact, I recall one Service Manager at Ford explaining it to me said, it was a switch, and he held up his fingers to show the size of the switch. But, like what you did,if you replace the pump then automatically then the switch gets tossed as well. Can you clarify?

Old 10-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Popa Tim
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres no way and electric switch could prevent crossflow in the gas line. They already shut off the inactive pump, thats what the switch on the dash does, only the selected tank gets power. The other tank is off. The problem is that the 'off' pump is letting fuel backflow into the tank. This backflow is supposed to be stopped by the built-in checkvalve. This is basically a plug that gets activated by the backflow pressure, its a mechanical device thats like the flapper in your toilet tank where the water pressure seals the hole.

I'm not sure what Ford actually replaces. I've read posts where they've changed the FDM (fuel pump assembly) and I've read where they just added new checkvalves.

In any event, we do not have a source for just these checkvalves; our only recourse is the entire fuel pump assembly which includes the checkvalve.

As others have said, its easier and cheaper to just deal with it.
Tim

Old 11-04-2008, 03:20 PM
rcthomas64
New User
Same Problem

Same problem. Replaced the front fuel pump 3 nov 08. Working great. Dropped tank replaced pump. Two hours later on the road again!