Sponsored by: Moser

2 Lil Probs

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 02:03 PM
xxcyted
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Lil Probs

I have a 77 F100 Ranger 302 auto ps/pb air etc it is a super good driving machine
oh yea she looks pretty good too (will try to get some pics posted)
Anyway, I've got a couple of small problems (I mean opportunities for you guys to shine)

#1 Although she only has about 71,000 miles on her the guy who got her new had some kind
of engine problems and rebuilt it at about 35,000 based on info i have been given (mostly guesses) he either used the old block w/late model heads or late model block w/ the old heads
anyway she pings pretty much all the time (no other way to describe) i have run high octane fuel but still does it i'm kinda at a loss dont know what to do
oh yea the truck sat for about 4-5 yrs dont know if that is a factor but she has been driven about one day a week for the last couple of years

#2 I had carb problems acouple of years ago -choke sticking - leaking fuel - always idling high
and a couple of other things but i cant remember anyway instead of rebuilding i bought a reman down in florida for about $100 figured it was a good deal (maybe not) everything has been fine until a couple months ago it idles high some of the time but not always it acts like choke may be sticking but i got out and looked while it was doing it and it didnt appear as if choke was stuck

thanks guys

Chris

Old 10-14-2005, 02:10 PM
wojo1989
Junior User
Have you checked your timing or pulled a spark plug to see what might be going on inside the cylinder? This may be a good place to start for number 1.

Steve

Old 10-14-2005, 02:19 PM
1975Ford
Postmaster
Originally Posted by xxcyted
#1 Although she only has about 71,000 miles on her the guy who got her new had some kind
of engine problems and rebuilt it at about 35,000 based on info i have been given (mostly guesses) he either used the old block w/late model heads or late model block w/ the old heads
anyway she pings pretty much all the time (no other way to describe) i have run high octane fuel but still does it i'm kinda at a loss dont know what to do
oh yea the truck sat for about 4-5 yrs dont know if that is a factor but she has been driven about one day a week for the last couple of years
Could be a result of old fuel. Have the timing on the engine rechecked.

Originally Posted by xxcyted
#2 I had carb problems acouple of years ago -choke sticking - leaking fuel - always idling high and a couple of other things but i cant remember anyway instead of rebuilding i bought a reman down in florida for about $100 figured it was a good deal (maybe not) everything has been fine until a couple months ago it idles high some of the time but not always it acts like choke may be sticking but i got out and looked while it was doing it and it didnt appear as if choke was stuck

thanks guys

Chris
Check all vacuum lines for a vacuum leak, could result in a high idle.
Get back and post the results.

THKS

Old 10-14-2005, 02:20 PM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 145 Likes on 120 Posts
check your timing: initial, vacuum and centrifigal. If it's right do a compression test. You might also have carbon build up.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:02 PM
xxcyted
New User
thanks will try some of these Sunday
will post some results

Old 10-15-2005, 10:26 AM
hotroddually
Posting Guru
welcome to FTE,hope you enjoy the site.ive learned lots of good info here and i hope the same is for you too.i just would say stay tuned in to the suggestions made by others,many people here have had similar situations happen and they can help.-billy