Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery idiot light

Old 10-13-2005, 08:36 PM
illuzion
Junior User
illuzion is starting off with a positive reputation.
Battery idiot light

What is the instrument cluster monitoring for the battery idiot light on the dashboard, my truck's battery light was intermittently flashing, now constant on, alternator output is 14.1V and regulated. Battery is fine, volt gauge even shows proper system voltage? Can anyone help with this one?
Thanks
Brian

Old 10-13-2005, 09:13 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
The battery light is an indicator that the battery is no longer receiving a charge from the alternator. If the system is wokring properly, the (idiot) lamp circuit may have developed a short somewhere. The voltage regulator in the alternator should be the control device for the battery idiot light. In other words when the output voltage of the alternator drops below a certian point, the light is turned on. Thats why it comes on when the engine dies and before you start the truck. Alternator output is less than battery output.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:49 AM
illuzion
Junior User
illuzion is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was almost sure thats what it was, a comparison of alternator output to battery voltage, or to a refernce standard (12.5v or so), but in this case I can guarantee you it is a malfunctioning circuit, my question is how does the circuit actually work, I can tell you for sure the alternator's regulator does not have a "idiot light output line", somewhere else it is being figured out. I am not sure if the ECU is looking at its input voltage and then outputting the signal to the light, the only thing that has been disturbed recently is C202 (76 pin firewall connector), the high current one, not the ECU one. just for good measure yesterday, I disconnected it and put a load of silicone dieelectric grease in it, and reconnected it, idiot light still persists. I am not so worried about the light as much as I am what else is affected (low ecu voltage, etc). This poor thing is falling apart lately.
Thanks
Brian

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.