Dealer's Invoices- Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 11:13 AM
JIMY
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer's Invoices- Yes or No

I am in the process of buying a new truck and getting quotes form various dealers. When I find a vehicle I like, I usually ask the Dealer for the original invoice. If I am going to spend $35K on truck, I need to know how every peny is spent. I use the invoice to make my offers or if I received an offer from a dealer, to validate it against what I think is a fair price. Recently 2 out of 3 Ford dealers said they cannot give me a copy of the invoice in which I state I will go elsewhere. I do not deal on MSRP, unless the vehicle is gettIng MSRP (hybrids, other popular vehicles).

Anyone esle get this or should I just stay away form the those dealers?

Old 10-12-2005, 12:20 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I don't see what the big deal is about seeing the invoice- if they won't give you one, pass and move on. You didn't mention what type of new truck you're trying to buy- is it something unusual or hard to get?

Old 10-12-2005, 12:29 PM
JIMY
Freshman User
F150 XLT. Nothing special or difficult. I, of course, want the best deal for me, but the dealer can always say no. So I did just move on. Just wanting to know if anyone else has faced similar efforts by dealers.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:58 PM
bimmerbill
Senior User
I've always had good luck looking up the dealer invoice on one of them car sites, and then going shopping. Offering them $200 to $400 above invoice is fair. IMO. My last purchase was for invoice price. Well, invoice minus the rebates etc.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:41 PM
ytc
Junior User
I didn't see the invoice, but still get a fair deal.
Finally got $12800 for a 05 work truck, A/C, MT, before tax/regist.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:29 PM
now_exowner
Senior User
Not sure how you feel about traveling, but from what I can gather here, you can get your best deal from Polar, if you don't mind jumping a couple states north. Mind you, just an idea.

Dave

Old 10-12-2005, 08:32 PM
4wd
Elder User
invoice---Why???

What's the big deal about seeing a dealer's invoice? It really doesn't mean a darn thing about the true cost to that dealer. Their discount schedule and amounts for volume incentives, sales incentives, ford gimme's, etc, are never shown. Besides, isn't YOUR bottom line "how much does it cost me?" I've never seen a dealer invoice on any new vehical I have purchased. I do see each MSRP's on the window to double check on the options, but even that I suppose could be typed up and taped to the window before I get there. Who knows? The bottom line is "how much". Don't worry about how much the dealer is making, just hope he makes enough to stay in business to take care of you after the sale. I think a good honest car dealer is like a good woman. Once you find one better stick with him. May cost you a little once in a while, but in the long run it will be worth it. They are hard to find.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:38 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Important

I think it is important to see the dealer invoice. If for any other reason...a good starting point for making a solid fair deal. If you do not know where the starting point is...then it is impossible to know if you made a good deal. IMHO...

I have always started from the dealer invoice...NO invoice...then NO sale.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:43 PM
gip
Senior User
From what I have seen, cars direct.com has benn pretty much right on the money for invoice price. There no big secret.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:45 PM
gip
Senior User
I think that should have been "their no big secret"

Old 10-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It actually should have been "They're no big secret."

Old 10-21-2005, 06:32 PM
gip
Senior User
Well you know, I tried. My 10th grade english teacher told me I would have to know how to spell someday. I guess he was right. I slept through grammer and all that stuff.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:47 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gip
Well you know, I tried. My 10th grade english teacher told me I would have to know how to spell someday. I guess he was right. I slept through grammer and all that stuff.
That's all right, just as long as you spell that all-important name on the check correctly. That's V-A-N-B-O-R-T-E-L...

Old 10-21-2005, 09:57 PM
gip
Senior User
Hey, thats pretty funny coming from a car salesman.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:00 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by gip
From what I have seen, cars direct.com has benn pretty much right on the money for invoice price. There no big secret.
Yes...for the i-crowd. However, I still think it is important to ask the salesperson for the invoice. It sets the mood for the entire process. Not so much that you are in control, but more that you understand the process. It is also better to start from the invoice rather than the MSRP...again IMHO.

biz

Quick Reply: Dealer's Invoices- Yes or No