1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 07:45 PM
farwhitenorth
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front suspension noise

Hello to all, I'm new to this forum and hope you all can help me. I have a 2001 F-350 4x4, V-10 auto. I have had a suspension noise that is getting worse. I have narrowed it down to the front end. It happens only when hitting bumps. I have checked out sway bar bushings, body mounts, spring shackles but can't seem to locate it. The truck has 60,000 miles on it. I read in some archives that it could be the sway bar bushings, but is there a way to test these before replacing them? Thanks for any help!

Old 10-09-2005, 06:48 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:14 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would help to know what kind of noise it is and also did you check the front end? To check the sway bar bushings and end links, start with a visual inspection, then have a helper bounce the front of the truck up and down and watch the parts to see if there is play.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Bigfront
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
What kind of noise is it?...Clunk? Grinding? Banging? At what speed does the noise occur? Have you tried putting your truck in 4WD to see if the problem still exists? If you put it in 4WD and it goes away, it may be the outer front axle needle bearings that are located in the outer hub and support the front axles...Federal Mogul Part No. B-2110...I think these are about $10-$15. If it is the main hub assembly needle bearings, these are not repairable and a new hub assembly will be required and is much more costly. I would probably also take the sway-bar off to see if the problem goes away...It comes off easily and would get you closer to isolating your noise. There has recently been some informative posts regarding this subject...I would do a search in this forum...Actually, check out the post very near this one. It's titled 'Front Hub TSB?' GOOD LUCK!

Bigfront

Last edited by Bigfront; 10-09-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:51 AM
farwhitenorth
Junior User
more info

I actually thought it was a shock. i replaced all 4 shocks, but still have it. it sounds like something to do with spring occillation. it is that type of noise, eee,eee,eee,eee. not sure how to spell that noise! anyway, thanks for the help!! farwhitenorth

Old 10-09-2005, 11:14 AM
LI250
Senior User
eee,eee? Sounds like a squek to me. Try spraying your spring bushing with some lube.

Old 10-09-2005, 02:13 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Squeaks could be from dry suspension parts like ball joints. again, have a helper bounce the truck and try to find the location. Also try to just turn the steering, do you get the noise then or only when the truck bounces?

Old 10-09-2005, 03:21 PM
hotshothauler
Junior User
I have had the same problem,its what Bigfront said bearing was shot. Be sure to check the shaft from knuckle to hub! may be damaged so a new bearing will not fix the problem. I was told that my AUTO-LOCKING HUBS were engaging whin I hit a bump or pothole causing this.

Old 10-10-2005, 03:23 PM
rka
New User
It sounds like it is the spring isolators. They are the plastics pieces on the ends of the front springs. The noise is the metal to metal contact. Go to ford and get new ones they will have the numbers for the parts.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:34 PM
marcs724
Senior User
I've had 3 super duties now, and two of them have had a clunk in the front end when you hit bumps at slow speed. FINALLY on the truck I have now, after spending hours under it looking for it, I found it. (on mine anyway) It was the sway bar bushings. NOT the end links. dealership told me the end links were a common problem and to try that. The sway bar bushings were like $7 for both and take 15 min to change. I'd try that first. It also worked on my brother's truck as well. On mine, the old ones werent loose or look cracked or damaged , but there must have been just enough play in there to let that sway bar move. good luck

Old 10-10-2005, 09:31 PM
deltaii_00
New User
Hello, I am new at this so here goes. I have a F250 Super Duty 4X4 deisle, long bed it is a 2004. I have 44268 miles. I have had it into dealer for a clunk in front end (sounds) when you are driving and turn wheel 1/2 to full turn. Weither pulling into drive or side street or parking spot. Dealer hears it then it goes away and they can not find it. They tried re-tightning, lubing but after about 3 to 4 months it comes back and same thing happens at dealer. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it? Dealer said they contacted Ford Company and had nothing. Help. Thank you

Old 10-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Din
Senior User
bookmarked.

Old 10-15-2005, 03:55 PM
farwhitenorth
Junior User
front end noise

want to thank all for your input! i pulled the front sway bar off and found some speed bumps. no noise! got the bushings changed and that was the cure! thanks again! farwhitenorth

Old 10-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Bigfront
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
What kind of bushings did you end up using?? Thanks...

Bigfront

Old 10-15-2005, 04:19 PM
farwhitenorth
Junior User
bushings

well, I guess here in Alaska, they don't stock much in the way of aftermarket bushings. had to go to the dealer. once i figured out the problem i didn't want to wait the 2 weeks to get parts. parts guy wasn't sure they were rubber but they are not polyurethane. anyway, $20 ea. well worth it to get rid of the noise! farwhitenorth