1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got smacked by a drunk driver...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:06 AM
4S FED
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got smacked by a drunk driver...

And, I haven't even made the first payment yet!

Guy pulled right out in front of me. Me and my girl were comming home from dinner. There were cars everywhere, and he just blew the stop sign and blasted me. We are ok... I took the whole front end of his blazer OFF! It bent in my front bumper... But, that is why I bought this thing. I just moved down here from Michigan. And after 1 month of driving with these IDIOTS in Florida, I knew I had to buy the biggest thing that I could to stay safe! If we were driving my Girl's Eclipse, he would have killed us.

Of course, he did not have a license, or insurance. The cop took him to jail and thanked me for not killing the guy between the wreck and the time he got there.

When I hit him, he must have smacked the front tire on my truck pretty good. Because the steering is all messed up. I have about 100 deg. of play in the steering wheel and it will just "lock up" every now and then. I limped it home and am going to have it towed to the dealer in the morning. But, I think the whole front end is tweaked. Stay Tuned....

Old 10-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Bigfront
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Ah man...Glad to hear you and your lady are OK...Your rig can be fixed or replaced. If not a first payment on this one, perhaps you get another. Your bodies can't be replaced...I hope the system comes down hard on the perp...most likely they won't, being you were not injured. There needs to be some serious penalties for those who drink & drive even when no injuries are involved...The courts need to adopt the use a car and go to jail philosophy with regard to drinking & driving. The no license or insurance thing only makes me more pissed. Hang in there, it will get better.

Bigfront

Old 10-05-2005, 07:04 AM
Baja Daze
Senior User
Oh man, that's terrible. This guy that cut you off sounds like a real p.o.s. with no license, no insurance, and drunk. Glad the two of you are okay, good luck with the repairs.

Indeed, FL is an interesting place to drive, lots of morons to contend with.

A drunk kid who blew through a stop sign is how I lost my Eddie Bauer Bronco, I loved that truck.

Last edited by Baja Daze; 10-05-2005 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:07 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Great to hear you and your girl are safe. Hoppefully you wont be hurting in the morning, except when you go outside and look at you new baby. My wife got hit by an uninsured, unlicensed driver. They took him to jail too after he paid his fines they let him go, that was it, no other penalties-nothing. If I ever see him he want get off so easy!! I hope you have uninsured/underinsured coverage on your policy since the POS didnt carry insurance so you can get your truck straightended up. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Hockycop
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to here you and your girl are OK. Good health is everything. Sounds like that P.O.S. needs to go to jail for a while. If he already has no DL this may be his second or even third DUI. Maybe he will get some time out of it. If this is his first DUI in FL, he’ll get 6 months probation. Good luck, hopefully you can get your truck fixed without permanent problems with it. You might want to press your insurance co to file a suit against the guy. He probably has nothing, but he needs to have that hanging over his head…..

Old 10-05-2005, 08:17 AM
toypuller
Senior User
Now when some tree hugger in a Prius says something about 60 mpg I just smile. It may cost some money to fill up the 250, but not near what it would cost to get smacked in a little tin can.

I had a motorcycle instructor say "If you were 1 second from an accident and you could stop time: Think of how you would be dressed, what protective gear you would be wearing and what else you could do to keep yourself whole? In life you are always 1 second ahead of an accident - plan ahead"

In North Carolina we deal with much the same thing. Alot of the "visitors" to our country that have no licence, no insurance, fake ID and if something happens they go out and get a new identity.

Sorry to hear about you truck, but it will be fixed and that is how you "bond" with it.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:25 AM
SuperBlue
Elder User
That just stinks! Thank heavens you all are OK, hope your insurance rates don't go up cause some moron is out of control. Take care and post some pics of the damage if you can.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:28 PM
ColtM4
Elder User
I'm glad you weren't hurt, but I'm not as nice as you. I'd probably have hurt the guy in the time it took the officer to show up. Alternatively, you should call the District Attorney or Prosecutor and let him/her know that you want them to throw the book at this drunk for almost killing you.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:41 PM
4S FED
Senior User
Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I had to have it towed to the Ford Dealer today. They have a full service body shop and collision center on site. It also has something messed up in the front end/ steering. So, hopefully, it will be all done by the end of next week. I am going to retrofit the '05 Harley headlights and have them take all of the pin-stripes and "4x4" stickers off as well. I can't wait to get it back. I miss setting up high above everyone!

Here are a few pictures of the truck after it was wrecked... They don't look bad, but most of the damage is behind the pass. front wheel. I guess the wheel and tire is what took most of the impact.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Bigfront
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It doesn't look too bad...but most new cars and trucks suffer from what I call the 'Iceberg' effect even in low speed accidents (not saying yours was at a low rate of speed, because I do not know)...It's what you can't see that will really get you in terms of time and $$!

Bogfront

Old 10-05-2005, 08:13 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
sorry about your incident. i am really glad you and your girl didnt get hurt. by the way, AWESOME truck, be glad he didnt take more off of it than what he did. that is one sweet rig.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:27 PM
TDCSILVER1
Freshman User
I just gave a speech about drunk driving today! Man does that set me off! Such a pretty truck too, Statistically a non-fatal alcohol related motor vehicle accident like yours happens every 3 minutes. A fatal one every 30. Good to hear you two didnt get hurt.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:25 PM
F250SDPowerStroke
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn man...glad you guys are alright. You are a bigger man than I. I would have killed that guy!

Old 10-05-2005, 09:43 PM
4S FED
Senior User
Thanks everyone, again for the good words! I just can't believe that my truck looks like that... And what his truck looked like. He had a 96 Chev. Blazer 2dr. His truck was destroyed! I sheared off his bumper, grill, radiator, hood, right and left fenders, and some of his suspension. The whole front part of the frame was bent on it too. This F-250 is a TANK! It didn't even miss a beat. I just drove right through him... It spun him around about 90 degrees into the curb. I tried to stop, but the guy was just too close. I just barely had time to slam my foot on the brake... So, I must have hit him at about 45MPH. I am amazed he wasn't killed.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:01 AM
argann
Senior User
For sure see a doctory just in case. My friend got hit and he found out 3 weeks later he has a tear in his shoulder. He was parked and unbuckled looking through his work bag. Rather be safe than sorry. But glad to see your ok that is whats most important.

...Rich

Quick Reply: Just got smacked by a drunk driver...