Sponsored by:

brake question... Ivan, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 05:06 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
brake question... Ivan, any ideas?

alright i think i have figured out that i can unbolt the brake booster from the firewall in my white truck and (theoretically, if there is room) i should be able to bolt it up on my bronco's firewall! aside from the linkage from the pedal assembly to the booster is there anything else holding me back?

do i have any better options? (let's keep this somewhat inexpensive as i am working off a budget)

i know i know, this has absolutely nothing to do with offroad but i was hoping i could get some help in here instead of having to post in the brakes forum.... they aren't near as cool

-cutts-

Old 10-02-2005, 05:47 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have a hydro-booster in the F250 or just a regular vacuum booster? I don't see any reason why you couldn't swap them with the exception of the rod length being different and this can be adjusted either by shimming out the whole unit or by shortening/lengthening the rod itself. However, if you don't have a hydrobooster I would just find one because if I remember right you wanted to put a diesel in it anyway . . . or am I wrong? You can get the hydroboosters with MC's for $100 used, sometimes less if you look around.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:00 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
it's just a regular vacuum booster. i would LOVE, absolutely LOVE to put a 4cyl diesel (4BT to be exact) but its not really in the budget right now so i am gonna stil with the stock 302 for now.

awesome the rod length is of no obstacle, but the amount of room i have under the hood is mighty limited! man i thought i was cramped with the 250, lol! i may not be able to use the booster... if not how bad will braking be with just the F250 M/C?

thanx for the help Ivan. also ANYone else with know-how on this subject please chime in i just remembered specifically Ivan had swapped in M/c and booster into his truck whereas i have never had to mess with mine

-cutts-

Old 10-02-2005, 07:22 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
You've got the big fat pancake style booster now, right? Have you looked at the F350 boosters that are a smaller diameter? Or do the newer F250's have the smaller diameter boosters? It'll free up some room around the valve covers.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:29 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
it's fairly small in diameter considering. but it's really plump! it looks like me if i were a brake booster

i still dont think there will be enough room... should i grab some pics?

-cutts-

Old 10-02-2005, 07:40 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if yer rear is full floating (8600lbs+, i am guessing your 8700-8800), then you should have the smaller in diameter booster that is thicker..

Last edited by IB Tim; 10-03-2005 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:20 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bremen242
if yer rear is full floating (8600lbs+, i am guessing your 8700-8800), then you should have the smaller in diameter booster that is thicker..
CORRECT

-cutts-

Old 10-03-2005, 12:09 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang, i know where the perfect booster and sag pump are for you to use is , but sadly the pic-a-part where its at crushed the car shortly after i robbed it for the rear disc brakes .

The car was a 77ish lincoln mark 5-6 i believe with rear discs, anyway it used a hydroboost system with a saginaw pump, would work really good for what you need it for.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:29 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,433 Likes on 936 Posts
cutts, i think anything will be better than the non power brakes you have....even a stick dragging on the ground

or you could just drag your feet like the flintstones since you have those massive hole sin your floorboard

Old 10-03-2005, 10:30 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
haha, ya i know. ok how bad will the brakes be if i leave off the booster? i know for a fact the M/C will be a bolt on, hell even the linkage will fit just right! i just dont see enough room for the booster!

and about those holes, i have a sheet of 12gauge expanded metal coming to fab some floorboards out of!

-cutts-

Old 10-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
What exactly are you trying to do? Just get better braking? Is this for the 72 Bronco?
There are articals on improving the 78-79 braking system here is a link if interested.
http://www.okcnetworks.com/bronco/brakes/index.htm

I have done the calipers and lines on my Bronco so far but have yet to try it out.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:19 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
i appreciate it man, it gives me some more options but what i was trying to get away with was pull my M/C and booster off my 85 F250 and bolt them on to my 72 early bronco. and since i am swapping in the D60 front and sterling rear i am gonna need to swap out the M/C anyways. my problem is that i dont think i am gonna have the room to put the booster under the hood of the bronco.... ie, it's very tight! so i am thinking i may just try and get away with just swapping the M/C to the bronco since i know its a bolt on, plug and play deal

but thanx again man! i may try to go that route if i can find any of those parts

how exactly is the hydroboost setup and how does it work? does it run off the p/s pump?

-cutts-

Old 10-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
Cutts...i had power brakes on my 70 with the vacuum boost but then went back to manual without the booster after putting in the 460. I can honestly say that there is NOT that much difference in braking power...you just have to put a little more muscle into pressing the pedal. And this is in a pickup that weighs significantly more than your bronco will and with bigger tires. I would say you should be just fine without boost.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:49 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
that's what i was hoping to hear

-cutts-

Old 10-03-2005, 07:18 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
how exactly is the hydroboost setup and how does it work? does it run off the p/s pump?
-cutts-
Yes, it runs off the PS pump and functions on pressure rather than volume which is why I can run it with hydro-assist and have no trouble. Your pressure line from the pump feeds into the booster. Then from the booster you have 1 pressure line that feeds to the steering box and one low pressure return line that feeds back into your resevoir or if you have a sag pump setup for hydroboost like I do it will have a second low pressure inlet on the back. Here's some pics of my booster:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal.../91104.520.390

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal.../91106.520.390

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal.../91107.520.390

Cool thing about it is that I barely have to push the pedal to lock up the tires. It's awesome.

Quick Reply: brake question... Ivan, any ideas?