1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Junk Tailgate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:20 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Junk Tailgate?

I would like to use the FORD script off an older tailgate, inserting it into a tailgate I am building for my 59.

I looked at one off a Model A on eBay and it would work, as well as the newer ones. If possible I would like to get the entire raised panel - the large box that outlines the FORD script logo. I would really like to get the three raised panels used on the 48 to 52 trucks!

My brother offered me one off his 48, but it was too good - I do not want to destroy a useable tailgate. I know there are many out there with the bottom rusted through.

Does anyone have that piece of sheet metal that they would part with?

Old 10-01-2005, 09:22 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wandering thru a swap meet and bought a hood($10) from some kind of a tractor that had 2 of those Ford scripts

Old 10-01-2005, 10:27 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Fatfenders, I have looked at your gallery many times - it has given me the courage to think I could make this sort of mod to my truck.

Also, in the back of my devious mind is the thought that I will be spending time this winter in Arizona, and Tucson is one of my favorite areas! I had planned to try and see your truck in person.

Attached is a picture of the panel I would like to insert into the 87 tailgate - I stole this pic off eBay. My colors are sky blue and off white with the pinstripping the same, just reversed (white on blue, blue on white).

Attached Images  

Last edited by WillyB; 10-01-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:10 PM
halfdone
Senior User
Another good source of Ford script in a smaller size is Cleveland Rocker covers or the four cylinder (Pinto?) rocker covers.

They look good welded into the hood sides, like on 42-47 trucks.

There is a guy here in Australia who stamps the big ford script for tailgates. A$20 for a small (12 x 8) or A$50 for a tailgate skin.

Freight would be expensive and unless packed careully might get damaged.

Mark

PS. No major progress on my F-1, my panel beater is now in jail after going on a bender and asulting seven people

Old 10-01-2005, 06:25 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Careful, Halfdone, complain to him and you might be number 8!

Anyway, it seems sort of natural that a panel beater would go on a bender. Somehow the other English speaking countries have a way of saying things that are much more lyrical and descriptive than boring old American English.

Need some of your teachers here, AYY?

Old 10-01-2005, 06:30 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
WillyB, greetings from the dark side, modify that gate!!!
PS, I used the whole top of a Cleveland valve cover in my firewall, pics are still in the camera

Last edited by fatfenders56; 10-01-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:57 PM
PRO49FORD
Senior User
Ebay is a good place to look for 48-52 ford tailgates there two tailgates on ebay now for less then $100.00 dollars. Sacramento vintage ford sell two ford script for $75.00 dollars.

Old 10-02-2005, 04:29 AM
halfdone
Senior User
Originally Posted by WillyB
Careful, Halfdone, complain to him and you might be number 8!

Anyway, it seems sort of natural that a panel beater would go on a bender. Somehow the other English speaking countries have a way of saying things that are much more lyrical and descriptive than boring old American English.

Need some of your teachers here, AYY?
Fortunately he is locked up in the Phsyc ward at the moment......we had a couple of moments, but I was shocked at what it turned out he was capable of.

I think bender comes from "going to the pub (bar) to bend the elbow"

A lot of Australian and English words and phrases are shortened versions of popular phrases from century's ago.

In my beaters case the "bender" was fueled by weed, pills and alchohol and was reportedly an 8 hour rampage.......sad what people do to themselves. He is a really nice guy sober and straight, but a total idiot when fueled up.

Yes American english tends to be less lyrical and descriptive than english english. I noticed that when I was working in CA. I also noticed so many words that I use ALL the time that had Americans scratching their heads.

The common Australian words Thongs and Poofs were the two that seemed get me misunderstood the most often.

As far as the teaching bit goes, I think the big difference is that here it is a pretty well paid job (Double to Triple minimum wage) and therefore attracts a reasonable caliber of applicants. In fact the educational standard requirement to teach even 4 year olds is a full degree + 2 years at teachers college.

I was amazed at the wages you guys pay teachers and the low educational standards required to hold the job.

I found it very strange. I have always taken the view that our children are our future, that their education is their future and that therefore no expense should be spared on their education. The idea of low paid, relatively poorly educated people doing the teaching of young kids is an alien concept to me.

Over here a "public" school education is 90% as good as a private school and mostly free.

From what I saw the same wasn't true in NorCal. Don't know about the rest of the country.

Mark

PS In case you were wondering: Thongs are footware (flip flops) not underware, and Poof's are "gays" not something to rest your feet on.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:23 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
''The Americans and the English are two peoples seperated by a common language'' -Oscar Wilde

Old 10-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was wondering at first what U guys where chatting about.. but now I understand.. It soulnd like it would look awsome Now I want it for my 60 gate