General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

mower steering, poping noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 08:35 AM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mower steering, poping noise

Hi guys!
I have a 1980 John Deere 14 horse lawn mower, with a snow blower attachment. This last year I noticed a loud popping sound when turning the steering wheel, ( manual steering) mostly while the mower is sitting still. I can turn the wheel all the way to the left then all the way to the right. But when I turn then wheel 1/4 of the way back to the left it POPS every time in the same place. I guess the steering wheel assembly would need to be replaced. I think when I had to pull the mower/snow blower out of the snow banks the front wheels dragging may of damage the gear box. Could a bad steering wheel bearing at the end of the shaft make this kind of noise to? I greased the wheel spindles and steering gear box. It doesn't pop much while I'm mowing. I think once I install the snow blower on the front it will act up more????? I see there are a few adjustment on the gear box to. Over the phone John Deere thinks its the gear box that's bad. I notice to that I can only turn the wheel one turn to the left instead of the normal two and a half turns.

Thanks,
Mike