6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

WIX/Visteon Air Filter Easier to Change & Higher Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Punisher
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep. Fram number CA 9516. $69 in Grand Junction Colorado last Thursday.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Downsized2X
Diesel User
Walmart having the fram filter is pretty recent.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
Anyone using GREEN filters?

Old 10-09-2005, 10:07 AM
The6.0MAN
Junior User
I just put in the pics of the Visteon/ pwertrapp AF into my gallery. Just checked the turbo inlet tube after 5k miles this morning and no dust . Tube was perfectly clean. It took me 30mins to install the kit, yet takes 30 seconds to change the WIX filter.For me personally, it is the best mod yet, as I am in construction and encounter extreme dust & dirt conditions and can now afford to change my AF every 5k miles instead of evry 10k miles.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:59 AM
guydiver12
Senior User
Smile air filter replacements

I really don't mind changing the stock filter, it was very easy, even the first time took 15 minutes thanks to the Ford doctor's instructions on this site. What I am concerned with is how good the filter works. If the stock Donaldson filters better, that's what I will use. But.....if this replacement filter works as well, or maybe even better....I would get one. Especially since filter replacements are much less expensive, even though I got a great deal at Fleetfilter for my donaldson replacement. I just wonder why Ford went to so much trouble to put that big Donaldson filter in there, when there were ready replacements on the market for the pleated filter style? The surface area in the stock filter must be huge from all that honeycomb filter media. That's what it boils down to for me, is surface area of the filter, That's why pleated filters work so well, they have much more surface area due to the pleated material. I changed my house central air filters from the stock el-cheap spider web garbage after my AC man pulled my blower out to clean it. the new filter Seems logical to me, but I still wonder if the Donaldson filter media is any better. Cheaper is great, but not necessarily better. Would love for some technical guru on this site to figure this out and let some of us in on it.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:12 PM
jorzac
Junior User
This kind of thread is what makes this site so great! Good info if Ford will not dispute warranty claims the way they love to do.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Tonight I realized that the air filter for my Excursion is indeed something after market. All this talk about the Donaldson filter got me thinking. So I typed Visteon into the search bar, and ta da! This thread comes up. I've been confused because the kid at O'Rielly's said it showed as a "stock" option for the 6l when I replaced the element ... Obviously not true.

Does anyone have any feed back on this item? This is an old thread, but looking to see what the experience with this filter has been. The turbo and the intake pipe to the turbo, all look great nice and clean. The person that owned this truck before me was all about Wix filters, as they were in all locations on the truck.

I suppose I'm in the market for the OEM filter set up.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody
Tonight I realized that the air filter for my Excursion is indeed something after market. All this talk about the Donaldson filter got me thinking. So I typed Visteon into the search bar, and ta da! This thread comes up. I've been confused because the kid at O'Rielly's said it showed as a "stock" option for the 6l when I replaced the element ... Obviously not true.

Does anyone have any feed back on this item? This is an old thread, but looking to see what the experience with this filter has been. The turbo and the intake pipe to the turbo, all look great nice and clean. The person that owned this truck before me was all about Wix filters, as they were in all locations on the truck.

I suppose I'm in the market for the OEM filter set up.
I believe the Wix air filter kit is similar to the E-Series Van filter set-up.

Josh

Old 10-23-2013, 11:57 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
lol, I think this is the oldest thread ever resurrected on any forum I've ever been a member of! ha ha

Old 10-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by 99ExpyProblems
lol, I think this is the oldest thread ever resurrected on any forum I've ever been a member of! ha ha
Not even, I've seen threads from 1999 being necroposted in the 73-79 section.

Josh

Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Well it seemed like a good idea to see if any of the original posters might respond, lol! Why clutter up the forum with multiple threads on the same topic? When I get done with this one, I plan on posting a "crank, won't start" thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 AM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody
When I get done with this one, I plan on posting a "crank, won't start" thread
Oh geez..: as if there aren't enough of those already. LOL

Josh

Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Well I believe you are spot on with the e series filter. I found the motorcraft element on diesel filters online site. My first PSD, so I'm never sure what is after market installed by the previous owner, or OEM. I changed the oil when I first got it, and didn't realize I had the wrong cap on the oil filter. Thanks to this site all us newbs are whipping these trucks back into shape.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SpartanDieselTech
This actually looks like a pretty good unit, and the price is very cheap in comparison to most of the aftermarket performance filters (and so are the filters) but really...

Aren't some people blowing out of proportion how hard it is to change the stock air filter? If it takes you 45 minutes to do it, someone should slap you. Hard.

In reality, after you've done it a couple of times, it takes about 1 and a half to 2 minutes. Release the latches, pull the front feed cone up, back, and push it to the front of the truck out of the way. Wrap your hand around the tube at the back of the MAF sensor and pull up and back, while using your other hand to lift the filter out. Chunk the old one to the ground (make sure you have the new one within reach) an drop the new one in its place, as you stick the MAF housing back onto the back of the filter. Pull the front cone back up into place and latch.....It takes 3 minutes, even if you fumble around a bit.

Granted, its a little awkward, but I've always wondered why some people try to make it sound so difficult.
x2
That is - IF you know to remove the entire housing before opening it to swap out filters. I have the BPD diesel oil cooler and even with that hose in the way it's still a piece of cake to remove and then re-install the stock air box.

Plus, you change the filter every 3-5 YEARS.
But, it seems nearly EVERY repair task (redhead, fuel pressure sensor, t-stat, FICM) requires removing the air box, so getting a different air box isn't going to help 99% of the time.

BUT If I was unlucky to have a non-stock air box - THIS might be an option vs. buying the original kind.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:15 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Bottom line for me is the Donaldson supplies more air than a stock 6.0 needs and comparing a $15,000 dollar engine to an $80.00 filter it's a no brainer. The stock filter is also very easy to change if you know what you are doing. If you consider it difficult then maybe you shouldn't be doing your own work.

Quick Reply: WIX/Visteon Air Filter Easier to Change & Higher Capacity