6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

WIX/Visteon Air Filter Easier to Change & Higher Capacity

Old 09-26-2005, 08:11 AM
autoparts
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WIX/Visteon Air Filter Easier to Change & Higher Capacity

WIX is offering a new air filter assembly for the 6.0 liter turbo diesel. It is manufactured by Visteon, the Ford parts division Ford spun off about 10 years ago. The air filter housing is found under FUEL/AIR in the RockAuto.com catalog. Here is a description:

<TABLE class=text cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="98%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=175 bgColor=#ffffff>

</TD><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff>This WIX air filter assembly for Ford 2003-2005 6.0 liter (F-250, F-350, F-450) turbo diesel engines will save you time and money while increasing the performance and efficiency of your truck.
  • Complete Kit Contains 1 Upper / Lower Housing, 4” Powertrap®Filter and Inlet Duct.
  • Upgrades air filter performance and saves on maintenance costs.
  • Housing built by Visteon® and fits in same space as the factory installed housing.
  • WIX Filters Replacement time - 5 minutes, compared to 45 minutes for the original design.
  • 43% more capacity plus higher efficiency and air flow.
  • Cost savings over existing OEM replacement filters.
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 09-26-2005, 10:46 AM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now this looks good!!!!!!. I've used Rock Auto before and so far liked their service. Is Visteon still part of Ford??????????? I wonder if this will void our warrentee.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:38 PM
The6.0MAN
Junior User
I installed the kit 4weeks ago and have put 4k miles on the truck since I installed it. it was very easy and took about 30 minutes to put it on. About what it takes to wrestle the stock air filter out. So far i am very happy. Fuel economy increased by only 1mpg, so I am not complaining. I am in construction and encounter a lot of dusty jobsites and found it much easier to change the filter. The WIX filters from NAPA are $15. I ordered the complete kit from NAPA. I will post some pics of it installed.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:08 PM
DelfinoTX
Freshman User
Watch out with these. I ordered one from fleetfilter and it was made for 6.0L with Mass Airflow Sensors. My 05 6.0L doesn't have a MAS and i had to make an adapter plate. Wix will be releasing an adapter soon though.

Other than that, I'm happy with with it.

DelfinoTX

Old 09-27-2005, 09:25 AM
autoparts
Former Vendor
Installation Instructions on WIX site & Visteon

On the right side of the screen at http://www.wixfilters.com there is a link labeled "Power Solution, Ford 6.0L Air Filter Replacement" that lets you download an Adobe Acrobat (pdf) file with installation instructions and pictures.

The difference between Visteon and Ford has been a little murky for years. A friend working in Dearborn for Ford automatically became a Visteon employee around 1998. A few years ago he became a Ford employee again. The last I heard, Visteon and Ford continue to shuffle people and facilities back and forth. GM and Chrysler also spun off some of their parts divisions quite a few years back.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:41 PM
mrcobra350
Senior User
I like the looks of that setup much better.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:14 AM
rougerocco
Junior User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Much nicer

I just order it! This is much nicer than the knuckle buster stock air filter!!
I'll let you know how it works...

Old 09-28-2005, 12:57 PM
SonicBlueF350
Senior User
Smile

Looks like you can get the filter kit at www.fleetfilter.com for $74.75. I will be ordering my kit today!

Bob

Old 09-28-2005, 07:36 PM
FleetFilterBrian
Senior User
We have pictures here: http://www.fleetfilter.com/PowerTrap.html

If you have an '05, you must look at if you have the MAF sensor or the Air Charge Temp sensor on top of your current housing. Wix ran these things so quick to market, they didn't realize that Ford changed the design for awhile on the early '05s.

I happened to e-mail Wix today about the adapter plate for the Air Charge Temp sensor and got the response that they've had to design the adapter from scratch and they're waiting for the grommets to be made. They expect two weeks for release of the adapter plate. When I get some in, I'll post about it on the website.

If you have the MAF sensor, then the kit works great.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:49 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This actually looks like a pretty good unit, and the price is very cheap in comparison to most of the aftermarket performance filters (and so are the filters) but really...

Aren't some people blowing out of proportion how hard it is to change the stock air filter? If it takes you 45 minutes to do it, someone should slap you. Hard.

In reality, after you've done it a couple of times, it takes about 1 and a half to 2 minutes. Release the latches, pull the front feed cone up, back, and push it to the front of the truck out of the way. Wrap your hand around the tube at the back of the MAF sensor and pull up and back, while using your other hand to lift the filter out. Chunk the old one to the ground (make sure you have the new one within reach) an drop the new one in its place, as you stick the MAF housing back onto the back of the filter. Pull the front cone back up into place and latch.....It takes 3 minutes, even if you fumble around a bit.

Granted, its a little awkward, but I've always wondered why some people try to make it sound so difficult.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
The Visteon filter looks like ordinary filter media, I'm not so sure about the advantage of replacing the Powercore filter. The Powercore media is suppose to be super efficient.

What does Visteon mean by 43% more capacity, the housing doesn't take up anymore room than the stock filter. Higher efficiency, and air flow, thats like having your cake, and eating it too, hmmm. K&Ns flow better, but we all know that they are far from the best at filtering.

I think this filter is probably a good alternative to the stock filter, especially if your looking to save money on filter replacements. You still have to overcome the initial purchase price before you see a savings.

A better filter, I think not.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:25 AM
Downsized2X
Diesel User
Correct me if I wrong, but @ $74.75 for the kit is about the cost of a Ford/Motorcraft replacement filter to begin with. I rather have cheap filters that I can replace often. Only question is will the new filters void the warranty?

Old 09-29-2005, 09:46 AM
autoparts
Former Vendor
Warranty?

Visit http://www.wixfilters.com/productinformation/techbulls.asp and download WIX Filters Limited Warranty rev 7/03 #1407 to read the WIX Warranty against engine damage.

Visit http://www.wixfilters.com/companyinformation/historicaltimeline_flash.html to see a neat time line showing the history of WIX and their aftermarket and OEM products. WIX patented the spin-on oil filter in 1954, Ford dealers started selling their parts in 1966, etc.

Visit http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096 to read the Specialty Equipment Market Association page on federal laws preventing "vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage."

And then please visit www.RockAuto.com to buy WIX products!

Old 10-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Punisher
Junior User
Installed one of these kits on Saturday. Easy to install, no problems at all on an 04, and cost less than a Fram replacement filter from Wal Mart.

Haven't really noticed any increase in power, would like to see some dyno runs that prove an increase in air flow.

Old 10-02-2005, 06:36 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
Walmart carries the air filter for the 6.0?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WIX/Visteon Air Filter Easier to Change & Higher Capacity