General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

A 6 inch lift with 38 inchers

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 02:25 PM
dassmoof
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I get a 6 inch lift with 38 inchers, on say... a 76.. I'd need a roll bar right? Or would it really be that easy to flip? CAuse it doesn't seem like it.

Old 05-02-2001, 08:28 PM
85351ho
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you really dont NEED a rollbar unless u r gonna be rockclimbing or something like that, im assuming the tires will be fat and stick out a bit so you really dont lose a whole lot of stability, it should be perfectly fine

1985 F-150/351Ho/4wd/6inch with 33's
1979 f-250 429/4spd/6inchwith 36 inch buckshot mudders

on a quiet night your can hear a chevy (lol,you can watch a dodge) rusting away

Old 05-02-2001, 09:16 PM
dassmoof
Senior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-May-01 AT 10:24 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-May-01 AT 10:20 PM (EST)[/font]

Hey... was also wondering. I'm just going to get a 6" suspension(?) lift. Do you think that, that'll be enough clearence for the 38's? Cause I figure it will be high enough for it, but then again I'm new to all this lift and tires and junk. Also I have no clue what the difference between a suspension lift and a body lift is. Can ya tell me please? Lemmi see.. do I have anymore questions... not that I can think of except one, I'm gonna get Super Swamper TSL's and was wondering if it had crome rims or if they were that ugly white, heh. Oh yeah, one more thing about the roll bar. My friends cusen(?) owned a 76' F100 I believe, he had a lift and some bigger tires (not sure how much lift or the size of the tires) and he rolled it. Granted he might drive nuts just like my friend does with his 'Stang, but you really don't think that I'll need one? Cause I was thinking the samething about my tires stickin out, till my friend told me that the truck would roll easy if I took corners fast. I'm a pretty good driver and don't drive nuts ya know so I figure I wont roll it #1 and then I figure it'd have to be around 50 mph to actually roll it, so...
Thanks for the info.

Oh yeah, now I remember what I was also gonna ask, heh.
Doh Forgot again.................
Oh yeah
So, I could only find a skyjacker lift for the older fords and it said it didn't come with rear shocks or something. What is the significance of this? Also can ya tell me what is in a normal suspension lift kit

Old 05-02-2001, 10:12 PM
ford4x4offrd
Senior User

well here is the basic low down. the roll bar is completely optional. if you dont think u need it, dont do it, but if you would feel safer with it go for it. it is all personal preference. as for the tires, nothing beats an old measuring tape, take some height and width measurements and you should be able to get a good idea how much room you will have. the signifigance of the rear shocks is they are longer. stock shocks will not fit after a suspension lift. a "normal" susp. lift should come with blocks, brackets, 4 shocks, and more springs if that is what the truck has. the difference in lifts is the body lift goes between the body and the frame. an extension in the steering column and maybe a couple inches of wire is all that needs to be done but in my opinion adds uneeded strees to the truck. a suspension lift actually goes in the suspension system. it can be strictly by putting longer shocks bigger coils, and add a leafs in the back. or maybe blocks under the leafs. it all depends on what type of susp. you have but it will raise it that way. basically it takes all your suspension makes it heavier duty and taller. hope this helps, and if i was you, for more detailed help try posting this in the 4 wheel and offroad section. there are many people in there that can help ya. but dont be afraid to ask more questions. i have done many body and suspension lifts. if you want to ask me anything just drop me a mail at adironjacks(No Email Addresses In Posts!)
good luck
god i love fords

-Jacksland

Old 05-02-2001, 10:26 PM
85351ho
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 38's will fit great with the 6 inch, at full flex they wont rub, our model trucks are blessed with large open fenderwells, i dont know if the truck would flip or spin out or what, but you would probably haave to be going really fast and cut the wheel all the way to get her to flip, im assuming u have a f-100 or 150 so you would have the coils in the front, the kit should come with shocks, i know mine did (f-250) if u were looking in NT&W they dont incluse shocks in their skyjacker kits any more, i dunno, i would also advise against a body lifts because it puts alot a stress around the sheetmetal where the body mounts are and somtimes make it crack, also there are usually no mounts in middle of the bed so if u carry a significant load i would worry about bending the bed, think of stepping on a 8 foot peice of 2x4 with blocks on each end

1985 F-150/351Ho/4wd
1979 f-250 429(stout 460 on the way)/4spd/6in w/36's,Dana60/44hd,3.54 gears~4.11's comin soon

on a quiet night your can hear a chevy (lol,you can watch a dodge) rusting away

Old 05-02-2001, 10:59 PM
dassmoof
Senior User

Thanks for the info guys, if I have any more questions I'll throw em at ya =)

Das Smoof
(No I'm not German.......I'm Polish even though I am American......... you can call me #####)

Old 05-03-2001, 09:23 AM
ford4x4offrd
Senior User