1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Darn Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 05:01 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Davi194
I'm in the process of troubleshooting a vibration on my 95 F150 (191K miles, 302, auto). It's headed for the shop to repair the broken motor mount ... identified by the tranny shop. I'll let you know how it turns out.
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

…Enjoy FTE and The State Chapters are located at the bottom of the main forum page.
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Davi194
I'm in the process of troubleshooting a vibration on my 95 F150 (191K miles, 302, auto). It's headed for the shop to repair the broken motor mount ... identified by the tranny shop. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Welcome to the forum. Please let us know what you find out about the vibration on your truck. When you get a chance, read through the sticky threads at the top of the forum and set up a gallery with some pictures of your truck. We all love to see pictures of trucks in various stages of modification or restoration.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Davi194
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration found. I replaced the motor mount and fan clutch as identified by the tranny shop...no luck. Called the tranny shop and the owner (great guy) said "I don't think it's in the transmission but bring it in anyway". He found the problem between the transmission and the transfer case. A couple of the bolts had broken causing the virbration and wearing out the transfer case seal...which caused the fluid to start leaking. It's running great. Oh, the repair cost $350.00 and damn glad to pay it.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought not one, but 2 brand name u-joints that were machined 0.010" out of round. Boy was that fun to find.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Protozoa
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibrations can be tricky to diagnose, but here's some easy checks to make: bring it up to speed where the vibration comes in, then put it into neutral and let off the gas. Rev the engine through the rpm range it was at during the vibration while still at speed, if the vibration comes and goes with engine rpm then you have already narrowed down your problem. I had a bad torque converter once and found it that way. The other thing to check is the frequency of the vibration and this is just seat-of-the-pants judgement, ask yourself "does it feel like the vibration is at about the same speed as the wheels turning or is it about 3 times as fast?". Most vibrations that are speed related are wheel balance problems. If it feels like it is about 3 times as fast as the wheels are turning, then you may have a driveline related problem.