General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Hunting

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 PM
bczolone
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hunting

Who are the hunters out there? What is it your hunting? Me? Its deer season here now and always pig season!

Old 09-20-2005, 11:49 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
When I get a chance to hunt I like to hunt white tail, elk and moose.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:36 AM
4x4triton
Junior User
Smile

I cant wait, next weekend is squirrel and deer season for me in south louisiana!!!!

Old 09-21-2005, 05:46 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to LOVE hunting geese, pheasant and dove, ducks, bear & deer, 'til I hurt my back and neck.

I'm very fond of hunting boar, too! (Yum, yum!)

I've promised my youngest son a trip out west, (when he's 12 or 13) for buffalo/bison and pheasant, IF he reaches these three goals:

1. Grades in school MUST stay 'up.'
2. He MUST go through and pass Hunter's Ed.
3. He MUST get into better physical condition. (He's like his Dad. He has a little too much weight on him.) This is one of my goals, too.

"I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. It has the smell of. . . freedom!" (Paraphrasing Col. Kilgore [Robert Duvall] - Apocalypse Now)

Old 09-21-2005, 08:05 AM
FordTruckGuySTX
Senior User
I just wasted about 14 squirrels this past weekend. Can't wait for deer and maybe some boar. Nothin' tastes as good unless you killed it yourself. I bet your hamburger would even taste better and more rewarding if you put the bullet to the moo-cow....but as for now.....mmmmmm...squirrel dumplins

Old 09-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
At my age - and as many animals as I have "harvested" in the past - I just like to get out in the woods and hunt in general. I usually strap on my Ruger .22 pistol and carry a JC Higgins (Marlin) .30-30 lever action rifle. The Ruger is for small game (it's an old 3-screw) that I happen to come across. Mostly - it's just being out there in the peace and quiet. I always bring home something.
Right now it's dove. I love to eat dove breasts, sprinkled heavy with Cavender's seasoning and cooked on the grill. Mmmm-mm Good! No, I don't take the dove with my trusty pistol, but I do get quite a few with a little .410 single shot. My sons say I'm crazy - like taking a knife to a gunfight - but I get my limit with it.

Hunting is not killing, but a rekindling of spirit...

Old 09-21-2005, 09:54 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Orn
At my age - and as many animals as I have "harvested" in the past - I just like to get out in the woods and hunt in general.

Hunting is not killing, but a rekindling of spirit...
I agree completely!!! It's not what you harvest, but, what happens in between leaving the house (lodge, camp, whatever) and when you get back.

"This is why it's called hunting and fishing, instead of killin' and catchin'. No gurarantees."

Old 09-21-2005, 10:07 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
deer and elk every year for the last 25 years (since i was 14) season starts in four weeks and three days. i hunt waterfoul when and if i can find the time but that hasent happened in a couple years. i would like to hunt some upland bird but there is not very good hunting for that here in colorado, you have to go to kansas or nebraska.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:40 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The first weekend in September has been a tradition with my son and me. This year we didn't see many doves, but it made little difference. Since I took him on his first hunt (early teens), he has been an avid hunter (he's now 40). He has a 360 acre farm and a 1800 acre deer lease and we make many good memories each year.
Dono

Old 09-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dono
The first weekend in September has been a tradition with my son and me. This year we didn't see many doves, but it made little difference. Since I took him on his first hunt (early teens), he has been an avid hunter (he's now 40). He has a 360 acre farm and a 1800 acre deer lease and we make many good memories each year.
Dono
And that, dono, is what I call the good life. Of all the members here and elsewhere that I've seen post about hunting and what they get out of it, your posts on the subject reflect the most critical. What good is it if you can't enjoy it with your family...especially sons that have taken to it because YOU enjoy THEM?
Originally Posted by dono
...but it made little difference.
That's what I'm talking about. Hard to beat...

Old 09-21-2005, 04:41 PM
jjg052590
Senior User
I hunt deer,turkey,(bird,dove)same diff and coyote if they come up on me.. armidillo..

Old 09-21-2005, 05:28 PM
fxrscotty
Junior User
Bow hunt and black powder for deer.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:21 PM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
bow, rifle whitetale deer and small game

Old 09-21-2005, 08:57 PM
ranger_punkin
Freshman User
I've only been hunting for a few years. I really like grouse hunting, and just started deer hunting last year with my b/f. This year we're going away nearly every weekend, hunting deer & moose. Then b/f is going on a week-long hunting trip with his dad for moose in late October. They got a nice spikefork last year.... VERY tender meat!

Hoping I will get my first buck this year.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:26 PM
kevincw
Posting Guru
bczolone, what do you mean when you say it's always pig season? We did something in the service called HOGGING.

Quick Reply: Hunting