1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New to Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Danny in CO
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New to Forum

Hi, I'm Danny in Larkspur, CO. My 15 year old son just bought a '50 Ford F2 truck in pieces. It has a 6 cylinder flat head that the block has been boiled out and cylinders bored and honed. We have all new parts to rebuild it. It has a 3 speed tranny that we will take apart and clean and inspect before installing. The brake are a mess. Is there an easy way to change the front spindles over to disk brakes? I also want to chage the master cylinder over to a modern brake cylinder. Any suggestions? Basically, I want to make it safer for him to drive and stop. I want to keep it as original as possible but upgrade to brakes.

I'm sure I/we will have LOTS of more questions in the future.

I currently have a 1948 Ford 8N tractor with a 4 cylinder flat head engine so I have some knowledge of old Fords.

Thanks,
Danny

Old 09-12-2005, 12:26 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
Welcome to FTE, always glad to have new folks.
Sounds great for you and your son to build togather.
I'm sure sonone will be along with the brake info your looking for..
Good Luck
Mike

Old 09-12-2005, 03:06 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Welcome to the board!! Sounds like a neat project

I beleive that the F1 and F2 spindles are the same. There are several manufacturers that offer disc brake kits for these trucks. I used the basic kit from ECI because I had the calipers already. They both offer master cylinders that fit in the original location or on the firewall.
You've already made a great first step in joining this forum. You will find tons of good advice (and alot of teasing) here. You should probably start gathering catalogs also so you can see what kind of parts are available.
I like your theory of updating the truck enough to make it a safe driver for your son whil maintaining the originality.

Good luck with it and when you get a chance set up a gallery so we can all "ooh" and "ahh" over it.

Bobby

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/early...nversions.html
http://www.mpbrakes.com/

Old 09-12-2005, 04:41 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Before you sink megabucks into the discs, consider the stock brakes with some modern upgrades, like a dual master cylinder. You really need power boost for maximum disc brake performance, and with the underfloor master, power is a challenge ($$$). IMHO, my stock '52 brakes work fine as long as you aren't driving around like Johnny RoadRocket. They are simple and cheap. I bet a proper disc setup will set you back at least a grand, probably more.

Be sure to replace ALL your brake lines unless that's already been done, including rubber hoses.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:01 PM
novatattoo
Senior User
Welcome to the board! Don't forget to click on peoples user ID to see their gallery of pickups.

Later,Bill

Old 09-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to FTE Danny! As you can see, there are quite a few folks here willing to answer questions and give advice. They're a great bunch and fun to chat with on the forum.

Ask away with any other questions you may have. Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

When you get a minute, read the sticky threads at the top of the forum list. Then start up a gallery so we can all enjoy pictures of your project truck.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
You can buy disk brakes for an F1 and they will bolt up to an F3 the spindles are the same I did it. You can put a dual power master cylinder under the floor that bolts to the factory spot. The brake fluid resevoir can be mounted remotely so you can fill it easily. I have seen them and kick myself for not buying the power setup the first time, I didn't know about them. I will have to do some replumbing when I mount the power brake cylinder. Also the F2 I think has a larger brake pedel lever I am hoping the extra leverage helps with my F3 non power disk brakes.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:32 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum Danny, looks like all the rest of the guys have answered your questions on the Disc brake conversion. I installed disc brakes on my 51 also, I feel that is the best way to go. I pieced mine together and just purchased the caliper mounting plates, and bearing adaptors. When I added the cost I only saved about $50.00 over the cost of the kit. With all the hassle and parts chasing if I had to do it again I would purchase a kit.