Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Help with old chainsaw? Runs 5 min then dies, won't restart...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Primered86XLT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Help with old chainsaw? Runs 5 min then dies, won't restart...

I know we mostly talk about mechanics tools in here but I was hoping someone could give me some insight on my chainsaw...

It's an older 14" that we've had for many years. When I start it up, it starts fine and runs great for about 5 min. then all of a sudden it stops like you hit the kill switch and won't restart until it's totally cooled down. Then the same thing happens all over again. Saprk plug is fine, has fresh gas at correct mixture, etc.. Any ideas???

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2005, 01:32 PM
JD717
Elder User
have you checked the tank vent to see if its plugged? thats the most common cause of this issue for me. a make and model would help me further diagnose your issue.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Primered86XLT
Senior User
I don't see a tank vent on it? Where might it be?

Here's the model: McCulloch Egar Beaver #60012312

Old 09-06-2005, 05:25 PM
snyiper
Senior User
Might look at the ignition system like a bad condenser or even a coil going bad when it gets hot.. Check for spark after it quits might not be a fuel issue.

Glenn

Old 09-06-2005, 05:33 PM
dorkpunch
Tuned
could also possibly be crank seals- is it an older saw? definately check your gas cap. when it dies, take of the cap- if you hear it suck air in as you take it off, your tank vent is plugged.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:44 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Crank seals on a 2 stroke would make it idle high. I am betting on the cap vent, or coil pack.

Ryan

Old 09-06-2005, 06:15 PM
hobo.labo
Senior User
Chainsaw won't stay running

Check inside the gas tank, there may be a filter on the gas intake line. My Stihl has one. possibly yours does also.
Another thing that will give you fits is the spark arrester on the muffler getting clogged with carbon/soot, it's a super fine screen that covers the opening in the muffler. I just removed mine. Shhh!
Good Luck!, Howard

Old 09-06-2005, 06:36 PM
dorkpunch
Tuned
depends on how far gone the seals are. if the leak is bad enough the engine will not run at all. Sometimes after they warm up the leak gets worse, killing the engine. we had an saw in the shop once that after it warmed up, the whole seal would become loose and spin in the recessed part of the crank case- now that made for some REALLY weird problems, took us a while to figure that one out!

Old 09-06-2005, 07:47 PM
pbuehning
Freshman User
Smile

Try this site, it has saved/fixed and helped me with several saws:
http://www.arboristsite.com/archive/index.php/f-9.html or
http://www.arboristsite.com/index.php

Old 09-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Primered86XLT
Senior User
Thanks for all the input! I'll take a look again tomorrow and let you know what I find out!

Old 09-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Primered86XLT
Senior User
ok, so I took apart the chainsaw today and found that the air filter was so dirty that you couldn't see daylight through it, and the cylinder and head were caked with saw dust and chain lube. cleaned it all up.....same thing happened again. About 5 min run time. Guess I'll have to check the ring etc.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:31 PM
kevincw
Posting Guru
It's possible that it's getting hot and boiling the gas and vapor locking. Try starting with 1/2 a tank of fuel and when it stops, refill with cool fuel. Be very careful.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No offence but your best move is turf it into the trash and get a new saw those saws you have were cheap throw away saw. You don't want to spend any money on it. It sounds like you have a fuel venting problem but it could be the carburator is in need of attention. If there has been dead gas sitting in the tank most likely the carb is plugged up.

Make a trip down to a saw shop and look at a Stihl or a Husky you can get a homeowner based saw pretty cheap.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:07 AM
snyiper
Senior User
I would not say its the "best " move but certainly a alternitive. Seems most people on the forum like tinkering and I know it would bug the stuff out of me to let that saw whoop me! No once I found the problem or eliminated most all the easier ones then I would make a decision on tossing it or getting a new one. I know what I would do I would get the newer one if feaseable and still keep the old one a while just in case I get the urge to fix it or my son/grandson wanted something to "work "on!!
Just my thoughts on it...LOL
Glenn

Old 09-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Primered86XLT
Senior User
Yeah, I hate to throw away stuff! LOL! I'm going to clean out the carb, do the compression check as mentioned above both cold and hot and see what I get. I won't but more than $20 into it. I already have a 16" Echo that's only a year old. That's my main saw but I like this 14" since it's perfect for trimming in my windbreak.

Quick Reply: Help with old chainsaw? Runs 5 min then dies, won't restart...