6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Starting my New 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 09:46 AM
dieselpwr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting my New 6.0L

Hey guys as some of you know I brought home a 2006 Loaded F-250 6.0L last night. The truck is great, everything I could have hoped for.

I have one question: This is my first diesel and I'm still getting used to it but when I go to start the truck I'll turn the key to the 4th position (ON) let the pump run and as soon as the glow plug indicator turns off I Turn the key to START and nothing...

Turned it back to 3rd position then back to ON. Waited for the glow plug light to go off again then tried starting it again... nothing? Finally after about 3 times of going OFF then ON it started up fine.

Is this a normal thing, I know you gatta wait for the plug to heat up the air but I mean it dident crank the first 3 times just clicked and then nothing. Am I doing something wrong or is there a possibility of a glow plug malfunction? Truck has 220 miles on it and I've only started it 3 times since I got it? Any suggestions? Thx

Old 09-04-2005, 09:56 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you have a problem with your ignition switch. Should start every time not just once in a while. Is this everytime you try to start it?

Old 09-04-2005, 10:00 AM
dieselpwr
Senior User
Yea I've only had the truck for a day and only started it a total of 3 times and everytime it wouldn't begin to crank on the first try. I would try once and nothing.
Turn the key all the way back to OFF and back to ON (wait for plug light to go off) then try again. Nothing happened, the 3rd time I did this it worked.
Maybe Im doing something wrong? Not turing the key hard enough..? I dunno? I really hope I dont have a problem already its a brand new truck. Maybe this is something that happens in early stages and once its more broken it it will stop? When I saw the service guy get in he started it on his frist try and drove it up to me but for me it takes me a couple times to start it?

Old 09-04-2005, 10:01 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
when you go to start using the key, does it actually crank the engine over and not start or does it just make a clicking sound in the cab/engine bay area? im not fully understanding that part.....

Old 09-04-2005, 10:06 AM
dieselpwr
Senior User
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
when you go to start using the key, does it actually crank the engine over and not start or does it just make a clicking sound in the cab/engine bay area? im not fully understanding that part.....
After the glow plug light turns off, I go to start the engine and it just CLICKS once no cranking sound just "click"..silence. Then I turn the key back down. Do it again and "CLICK"..silence. Then the 3rd time I go to start and BAM starts up flawlessly.

Old 09-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Antacus
Elder User
Either a security *feature* or a problem in the switch. I'd vote for a problem though. Have you spoken with the dealer about this? Should not have a simple problem like that in a truck under 48hrs old.

Old 09-04-2005, 10:17 AM
dieselpwr
Senior User
No I haven't gotten a chance to talk to the dealer, I'm really hoping it will fix it self.
If this problems continues for a couple more days then I'll be forced to talk with the dealer, the truck only has like 3 hours on it... I'm hoping maybe after I start it up a few times It'll clear it self up.

The freakin service guy jumped in the truck and started it on his frist try. When I get home later Im gonna try starting it again but I'll try things diffrently (turn the key harder, maybe I wasn't turning it far enough?...).

Old 09-04-2005, 10:18 AM
guydiver12
Senior User
Sounds like the starter is not engaging. Maybe a loose wire?

Old 09-04-2005, 10:26 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SD's don't have the PATS system, so security shouldn't be a problem. And your sure the truck's in Park or Neutral when you try to start it?

Old 09-04-2005, 10:30 AM
dieselpwr
Senior User
Yes sir, fully parked. Im really stating to think that Im just not turning the key hard enough or something like that. I mean its a BRAND NEW truck nd even the service guy started it up fine the first time. When I get back home later tonight Im gonna try it again and that will really determine if its ME or the truck.

Any other ideas/comments are very welcomed thank you!

Old 09-04-2005, 10:43 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, just to see, I went out to my truck and tried to reproduce your exact symptom of the "click" And lo' and behold, it did it. I am now almost positive that your right. You're just not turning the key far enough. I tend to use my remote start to start the vehicle, so I never really noticed it, but you really have to turn that switch pretty far between ON and START to engage the starter. Just for coomparison I went out to my wife's vehicle and the Samurai and tried both of them and both had to be turned FAR less from ON to START before the starter engaged.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:46 AM
dieselpwr
Senior User
I will try turning the key farther/harder tommarow when I start the truck, I really hope there isn't a problem...
Guys keep the suggestions comming I'd like to read up as much as I can of diffrent opinions.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:56 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
turn that key forward till it stops, don't take this the wrong way but turn it like you got a pair.

Old 09-05-2005, 08:57 AM
TexanClint
Junior User
It may be your security system. I have an 02 and had the same problem you have. Next time it does it, press the unlock button on your security remote keychain. Then try it. Hopefully it will crank right up.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:28 PM
dieselpwr
Senior User
PROBLEM SOLVED! Took it to the dealer and found out that they forgot to remove the security "chip" under the steering wheel and It was still "locked'' from the dealers security system. They took out that little chip thing and problem solved! truck starts everytime on the first try and its great! Thx for everyone's help.