Sponsored by:

Gas sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 02:53 PM
mblayton
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas sending unit

Anyone else have this problem,I have a 1986 Bronco XLT with 5.0, I know the sales brochure says it came with a 33 gallon tank, however the gauge on the dash works fine but when it reads a 1/4 tank and I go fill it up I am usually only pumping in about 16-18 gallons (not a bad thing with the way gas prices are now). Also in the winter if it gets down to between a 1/4-1/2 the dash gauge will just dive down below E. Is there a problem with the float or the whole unit, and if it is the float can that be replaced or do I need a whole unit. Any info is welcome, Thanks, Mark

Old 08-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
could be the float or the gauge. problem is if you have tested the gauge and its got power then the float is probably the issue but will require dropping the tank.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Streetgang
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember a issue within a range of years where the float itself would leak....letting fuel get inside of it, and f-Ing up the accuracy of the dash gauge.

I have also heard of issues where the wires coming from the sender/pump unit got messed up......usually only after a tank removal/replacement though.

Dropping the tank aint all that hard......I have done it a few times. A lift....or some good jack stands at a minimum, and someone to help out make the job a breeze!