6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Squeaking Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 09:52 AM
dscofever
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaking Turbo?

I have an appointment on Monday at the dealership for some issues with my 05 PSD. One of the issues is the (i think) turbo squeaks so loud I turn heads from other drivers when I'm towing (or just punch it) on a hot day. It could be a pulley or something else with the engine, but I think it's the turbo.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the problem and could they fix it.

I live in San Diego and the only dealership that I am aware of with a good diesel department is Drew Ford (they have two techs). It took me 2+ weeks to get an appointment. Anyone in San Diego know of a good DIESEL service department?

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Old 08-27-2005, 06:31 PM
WWBeast
Elder User
I am not tryin to put you down by any means, but you do know what a turbo sounds like...high pitch whistle, just makin sure bc thats normal. Now im sure you do know what it sounds like. Have never really heard of any turbos "squeaking". Once again not tryin to make you sound dumb just if your new to turbo chargers and didnt know thats all im tryin to get at. just makin sure

Old 08-27-2005, 06:36 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a "squeak" that comes from the back of the engine compartment (rather than the front) and sometimes varies with load and RPM, it is most likely a failing Injection Pressure Regulator valve.

I get these failures occasionally from running the ICP system at a rescaled voltage and current level. According to Maxium4x4, you have the "squeaky screen door" syndrome

Most of the time an imminently failing turbocharger will make plenty of noise, but I wouldn't describe it as a "squeak".

Old 08-27-2005, 09:30 PM
dscofever
Senior User
Don't worry about offending me, but I do know what the turbo whistle sounds like. This is a definate squeak. And it is does vary according to the load, RPM and outside temp (needs to be mid 90's on up). I'm sure the problem will become more apparent and frequent as time goes on. I've never had a noise get better as time went on.

As for my turbo experiences, this is my first. So far I have about 20,000 miles of experience. So ya...you are right in the fact I am turbo diesel dumb.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Wow I have my own official syndrome. If your IPR is going bad or like Matt stated about increased voltage, it will sound off like an old screen door. When I re-flash to a new tune with high voltage my IPR will do this and then settle down.

Last edited by Maxium4x4; 08-27-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:23 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dscofever
Don't worry about offending me, but I do know what the turbo whistle sounds like. This is a definate squeak. And it is does vary according to the load, RPM and outside temp (needs to be mid 90's on up). I'm sure the problem will become more apparent and frequent as time goes on. I've never had a noise get better as time went on.

As for my turbo experiences, this is my first. So far I have about 20,000 miles of experience. So ya...you are right in the fact I am turbo diesel dumb.
From what you describe it does sound much like the IPR valve..

Old 09-11-2005, 11:32 PM
dscofever
Senior User
Well...the dealership said they could find nothing wrong with the turbo. The service rep said (when I checked in my truck), that it could be the fan clutch. When I picked it up, he said the turbo "checked out OK". I asked him about the fan clutch and in his words "oh ya...they checked that I'm sure too". So in other words, my 3 week waiting period to have my truck checked out was for nothing.

So, back to my other question on the original post, does anyone know of a good service department in San Diego area?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:49 AM
sting454
Senior User
I have the same noise when i push the rpm's up around 2800-3500...I thought is was a rattling sound from the turbo...My dealer says its a normal noise...yeah right!!! never did that when i bought the truck a year ago....anyway my dealer won't fix anything unless the truck is completely dead or throwing some type of codes.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:31 AM
kb1aah
Senior User
My 2005 was doing this also. If I punched it from 50mph it would squeal like a pig to about 65mph or so and then go away. I recently had the shift solenoid in the trans replaced for delayed shifts, at which time they updated the PCM, TCM etc. Hasn't made a peep since. .02 worth.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:27 AM
dscofever
Senior User
Originally Posted by kb1aah
My 2005 was doing this also. If I punched it from 50mph it would squeal like a pig to about 65mph or so and then go away. I recently had the shift solenoid in the trans replaced for delayed shifts, at which time they updated the PCM, TCM etc. Hasn't made a peep since. .02 worth.
Mine is when I go from 0-30mph with a trailer behind me. It's so loud people in other cars with their windows up will turn and look at me. And of course, I can not recreate that sound when I'm at the dealership. Maybe I'll take a camcorder with me and replay it for the service guy next time it goes in.